Scale woes - what is a good brand that is reliable?

Options
The bathroom scale I currently have drives me nuts. When I first step on it, it gives me a number. If I wait for it to clear and weigh again, it gives me a SIGNIFICANTLY lower number. Usually. If I continue to weigh, it will stick with the lower number. But like I said, it doesn't do this 100% of the time. Just usually.

I feel heavier; tracking and upping my calories is working. I feel like I look heavier. But the result my scale is showing me doesn't make sense- it seems like I must have gained many more pounds than it is telling me.

Any suggestions on a good home scale that is reliable and accurate? Thanks!

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Get an electronic scale with a strain gauge as these are much more accurate than the spring scales. If you do a little research online you can find accuracy ratings and find one that will work for you.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have this scale and love it. It is very reliable:

https://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1474286495&sr=8-2&keywords=eat+smart+scale

I also have a food scale from this same company - love love love it.

I previously had a Weight Watchers brand scale and it never gave me the same number twice - I could stand on that scale 5 times in 5 minutes and get 5 different numbers.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I have one by weight watchers my husband dragged home. It is accurate, but I don't like it. I prefer a spring scale because it doesn't need batteries and they are more easily adjustable if they do get off a bit. These digital scales are costly and never quite large enough, plus if you don't stand on them just right the things register a pound or so off either way.
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Aria :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I bought a bluetooth scale about three months ago.. It has been pretty solid.

https://greatergoods.com/weight-gurus/product/0375/bluetooth-smart-scale
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have one by weight watchers my husband dragged home. It is accurate, but I don't like it. I prefer a spring scale because it doesn't need batteries and they are more easily adjustable if they do get off a bit. These digital scales are costly and never quite large enough, plus if you don't stand on them just right the things register a pound or so off either way.

That has been my experience until I got the EatSmart scale I posted above. No matter where I stand on it, or how many times I stand on it, it registers the same weight each time. My old WW scale used to be so horribly picky about where I stood on the platform!! I hated that scale
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I tried several, and I have a WW now. Love it.
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've just purchased MECHANICAL scales, with a proper dial and a needle readout like you get at the Doctors.

I find ALL the Digital ones I've used unreliable in terms of the results. You can literally step on 3-4 times in 3-4 minutes and get different results.

The brand/model of mine are Salter 145's - they are awesome, quite cheap, really big base to step onto, very reliable and you don't need to worry about standing still like you with digi ones. You can take your time.

4584r9bglldb.jpg
  • vperspective
    vperspective Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been disappointed with the Weight Watches WW125A and the Withings Body scale. Currently use a Tanita BC554 Ironman scale which has been nice and consistant.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    I've just purchased MECHANICAL scales, with a proper dial and a needle readout like you get at the Doctors.

I find ALL the Digital ones I've used unreliable in terms of the results. You can literally step on 3-4 times in 3-4 minutes and get different results.

The brand/model of mine are Salter 145's - they are awesome, quite cheap, really big base to step onto, very reliable and you don't need to worry about standing still like you with digi ones. You can take your time.

4584r9bglldb.jpg

All the doctor's offices I've been in use balance scales, which are the most accurate as long as they are properly calibrated. It's not so much the readout as the technology behind it. There are mechanical scales that are accurate but strain gauge is, both analogue and digital, are easy to obtain and highly accurate. Then again, you should always weight at least 3 times and take the average on a home scale. My scale reads the same all 3 times almost every time.

• Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the responses!! Awesome ideas and suggestions!

Good news, I was able to weigh on a balance scale yesterday and weigh in 8.5lbs higher than when I started tracking in the attempt to gain. Yeay, me!!
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    n55g9t48durz.png

I have this scale. It's not top of the line but it's pretty accurate with my doctors scale and calculations of body fat and muscle percentages. And it stores up to (I think) 12 user profiles and lets you go back through the results to see your progress. The scale alone has started a competition of weight loss between mine and my husband.