Women's clothing size tool, multiple stores, US & UK.

I don't know about the accuracy or how old this is, but I thought this was neat. You enter your measurements, and it tells you your size at various stores. There's a UK and a US version. I selected UK by mistake at first and was relieved to discover that I was not, in fact, buying my clothes too small :) and that there was a good reason why I hadn't heard of the stores.

sizes.darkgreener.com/

and blog post by the lady who came up with it:

anna.ps/blog/introducing-what-size-am-i

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I am glad you mentioned the UK / US toggle because I nearly had a heart attack when it told me I was a size 12, given all my size 10 pants and skirts are falling off now.

I'm a little shocked, honestly, to see that in several brands I'm slipping into a size 6. Really? A 6?! No wonder the size 10s are falling off.
  • yes but the thing is not all those sizes will be accurate either. it depends on where the item was made. I had 2 pairs of jeans,. same color,size,brand,etc one pair fit better than the other pair. one was made in china and the other was like india or something like that, I can wear a size 6 in some brands,but it also depends on the cut of the jeans, and so on.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2016
    I also tried the first link and put in my info and it said in some stuff I should wear a 4? aint no way these thighs are getting into a 4. I wouldnt be able to get into a 4 anything lol.Ive never been a size 4 either.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I also tried the first link and put in my info and it said in some stuff I should wear a 4? aint no way these thighs are getting into a 4. I wouldnt be able to get into a 4 anything lol.Ive never been a size 4 either.

Thighs, there is that. I looked up Levi's jeans for sizing. "17.25" leg opening" on non-stretch jeans. Pardon me while I go over and die laughing at the thought of trying to get my legs into those. I'm absolutely thrilled with my 23" thighs .. they're the slenderest they've ever been in my life. I look pretty proportional.

There is no way on this earth I will EVER fit into those jeans, it has nothing to do with my hips.

• MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    So apart from my hips being off the scale, it does confirm what I suspected, M&S and Monsoon are amazing, GAP should not be trusted......
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    What was interesting to me was to see how in line Old Navy was with all the other stores. I am always defending them. People rant about their vanity sizing, and I was actually smaller in Abercrombie & Fitch on the chart! I think Old Navy has almost reached urban legend status and people exaggerate their claims often about vanity sizing from there.

In other news, I wasn't surprised to see that I took the largest sizes in H & M. I understand they cut fairly straight and I have an hourglass figure. I was 0's in skirts in most of the stores and a 6 there!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited September 2016
    It is so strange! My measurements, and the actual size I wear, are nowhere close to the same. I am pretty close to a size 6 everywhere except Target (Macy's, banana republic, etc--I can even wear a 4 in banana republic) but the size tool gave me sizes from 10-16. I have noticed this before when shopping online. I love Macy's INC brand (can only afford it on sale), and the online size chart suggests a size 10. But a size 6 fits me like a glove.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    @tigerblue and @GottaBurnEmAll , it's because this tool is based on what the size charts say, not the actual measurements that a garment will fit. I'm sure most people have experienced that thing where you order online based on your measurements and the size chart and then they're a completely different size when you get them.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    @tigerblue and @GottaBurnEmAll , it's because this tool is based on what the size charts say, not the actual measurements that a garment will fit. I'm sure most people have experienced that thing where you order online based on your measurements and the size chart and then they're a completely different size when you get them.

I order very few things online, that might explain things! I tend to shy away from H&M based on what I've heard of the cut of their clothing. The last thing I ordered online based on measurements was a swimsuit that I had to order in UK sizes. Thankfully it fit perfectly.

To be honest, I don't have much clothing in my current size. I need to go shopping in the next week or so to get a whole new wardrobe. I only have 2 pairs of shorts and 5 t-shirts that fit me now. I have tons of workout gear, though!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    yes but the thing is not all those sizes will be accurate either. it depends on where the item was made. I had 2 pairs of jeans,. same color,size,brand,etc one pair fit better than the other pair. one was made in china and the other was like india or something like that, I can wear a size 6 in some brands,but it also depends on the cut of the jeans, and so on.

And we have to contend with human error too - I bought the exact same pair of pants at the exact same time from the exact same store - same manufacturer - and when I got home, the pair that I HADNT tried on fit much smaller. Fortunately I was still able to cram my *kitten* into it - now the ones that I DID try on are too big, and the smaller fitting ones are just right. I believe they were tagged incorrectly at the source - both tags said the same size, but clearly they werent.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I don't know about the accuracy or how old this is, but I thought this was neat. You enter your measurements, and it tells you your size at various stores. There's a UK and a US version. I selected UK by mistake at first and was relieved to discover that I was not, in fact, buying my clothes too small :) and that there was a good reason why I hadn't heard of the stores.

sizes.darkgreener.com/

and blog post by the lady who came up with it:

anna.ps/blog/introducing-what-size-am-i

Interesting. I don't shop at a lot of stores and knew the size in the brands I buy.
  • tomteboda wrote: »

Thighs, there is that. I looked up Levi's jeans for sizing. "17.25" leg opening" on non-stretch jeans. Pardon me while I go over and die laughing at the thought of trying to get my legs into those. I'm absolutely thrilled with my 23" thighs .. they're the slenderest they've ever been in my life. I look pretty proportional.

There is no way on this earth I will EVER fit into those jeans, it has nothing to do with my hips.

yeah I tried on a pair of levis one was thin leg and the other was relaxed fit. the thin leg fit the relaxed leg did not. I have to try on all my pairs of pants before I buy them. if not I have to take them back because either they are too big or too small most of the time. my thighs are around 22-23 as well.but let me tell you it sucks too when 99# of your jeans gap in the back but if they were any smaller they would not go over your legs,thats my biggest struggle.