Are vegetables and fruits really necessary?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No vegetables? Hmmmm, quite the opposite of just about every Asian I know and relatives back home. If you gained weight back, it's because you ate more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I don't think you're getting the point of what I'm asking. I never said every Asian eats that way. My step family does. Instead of trying to prove people wrong, please give helpful advice related to the heading post.

If you know people who eat this way and are fine, then why would you need to ask if eating differently were required? Obviously, it's not.

But as noted above, if you gained weight it was not the foods fault but the amount of it you chose to consume.

Does that mean you can become overweight (hypothetically speaking) on paleo?

Of course.

As for:
    I'm wondering if it will be easier to lose the weight again if I wipe out the veggies and fruits.

Doubtful, especially not vegetables. Why not eat lots of stirfries or whatever and include vegetables?

Also, why not answer Sabine's question about why you think you need to lose?

I think a no fruit and veg diet is not healthful (unless you have a medical condition that requires it), but are they strictly necessary? No. Add supplements, though.

Also, as Sabine said, your body. You can lose weight (or gain it) eating any way if the calories are right.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No vegetables? Hmmmm, quite the opposite of just about every Asian I know and relatives back home. If you gained weight back, it's because you ate more.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't think you're getting the point of what I'm asking. I never said every Asian eats that way. My step family does. Instead of trying to prove people wrong, please give helpful advice related to the heading post.

If you know people who eat this way and are fine, then why would you need to ask if eating differently were required? Obviously, it's not.

But as noted above, if you gained weight it was not the foods fault but the amount of it you chose to consume.

Of course you can become over weight eating paleo. You can become overweight eating all the American Chinese foods you were eating. You can become over weight if you eat to much eating any way.

And you can be unhealthy eating any way.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

He did. He said you gained weight because you ate more.

He didn't mention if fruits and veggies are necessary and why. Hence, the heading. And I gained it back when I switched back to Paleo. I was losing weight when eating rice and meat. That's why I'm confused and considering cutting out veggies and living off grains and meat. But everyone swears by Paleo being good for weight loss and health lol.

It's ALWAYS calories. Fruits & veggies aren't typically calorie dense and they are high fiber. That means you can generally eat them in larger quantities and they are pretty filling.

Grains & meat ARE calorie dense. That means you will have to be more careful with portion sizes. This is why I choose a more balanced diet. I get some of the higher volume (fills up my plate) along with grains & meat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course you can...weight management is about energy (calorie) balance...a calorie is a unit of energy...when you consume more energy than your body requires then excess is stored as body fat...stored energy. When you consume less energy than your body requires you burn stored energy (body fat) to make up the difference...it doesn't matter if you eat paleo or any other WOE...it comes down to how many calories you're consuming.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course you can...weight management is about energy (calorie) balance...a calorie is a unit of energy...when you consume more energy than your body requires then excess is stored as body fat...stored energy. When you consume less energy than your body requires you burn stored energy (body fat) to make up the difference...it doesn't matter if you eat paleo or any other WOE...it comes down to how many calories you're consuming.

Which brings us back to NinerBuff's original reply which answered half of your question quite clearly.

Meanwhile you're at such a healthy weight NOW.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So I'm 5'7 and last year after a 40+ pound weight loss I was down to 121. My step family is Asian and I happened to be spending more time with them because they were visiting (along with my uncle) for a year and a half. They were giving me lots of their leftovers of home cooked Asian food out of generosity. We also occasionally ate as a family at the home they were renting. It was foods like white sticky rice, fish, glass noodles, egg Foo Yung, teriyaki jerky, orange chicken, chicken stir fry, peanut shrimp, etc. All of it was homemade and consisted of little to no produce. This was the year I lost all that weight. After they left back to Thailand and I ran out of their food, I started doing my own cooking again because that's all I really know (potatoes, veggies, unseasoned meat, fruits, cottage cheese, nuts, etc). Like a modified Paleo. A majority of my calories came from the veggies and fruits by the way. Eventually some of the weight came back and now I'm 136 (gained 15 of the pounds back)! I'm wondering if it will be easier to lose the weight again if I wipe out the veggies and fruits. Maybe I can get recipes from my Asian step family through Skype or facebook? Or eat sticky rice and more meat instead of potatoes with more veggies/fruits? And I'm considering getting rid of dairy too. They don't use dairy. They use coconut oil/milk. What do you think? I seemed to do very well on a low-no produce Asian diet.

Congrats on your 40+ pound weight loss. Fruits and vegetables provide a variety of health benefits.

-They can help you preserve bone and muscle tissue since they are alkaline producing

-They provide your body with a wealth of antioxidants, vitamins, phytonutrients and fiber

-They help keep you hydrated from their high water content

Lets investigate a bit more to see what's really going on here.

1. What does a typical Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner look like you in terms of food choices and portion sizes

2. What does your current strength and conditioning program look like?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Do you need them? Hmmm, well the grey diet seems to show that you could live on eating potatoes as your only vegetable, but most people on that diet seem to be obese and malnourished so that would be a bad thing to advise you on. Considering that salad and vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower tend to be staples of any diet you can name it would stand to reason that you should be eating more of these and less highly calorific foods that have fatty and sweet sauces etc. I honestly can't believe that the majority of your calories came from these foods but if you have a diary sample you can post that would be interesting.

I would go with the advice to eat more with no oil or creamy dressings and cut out other foods and you should see a weight loss.
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you were getting more exercise with your family here. Perhaps you were eating less. Perhaps your body is adjusting itself. I am 5'5 and 145 is my healthy target weight. Your body will fight back if it thinks it is starving. Eat less fruits if you think the sugar in them is making you gain, but I doubt that is the problem. Eat less, move more. A balanced healthy diet is what you want to go for.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    So I'm 5'7 and last year after a 40+ pound weight loss I was down to 121. My step family is Asian and I happened to be spending more time with them because they were visiting (along with my uncle) for a year and a half. They were giving me lots of their leftovers of home cooked Asian food out of generosity. We also occasionally ate as a family at the home they were renting. It was foods like white sticky rice, fish, glass noodles, egg Foo Yung, teriyaki jerky, orange chicken, chicken stir fry, peanut shrimp, etc. All of it was homemade and consisted of little to no produce. This was the year I lost all that weight. After they left back to Thailand and I ran out of their food, I started doing my own cooking again because that's all I really know (potatoes, veggies, unseasoned meat, fruits, cottage cheese, nuts, etc). Like a modified Paleo. A majority of my calories came from the veggies and fruits by the way. Eventually some of the weight came back and now I'm 136 (gained 15 of the pounds back)! I'm wondering if it will be easier to lose the weight again if I wipe out the veggies and fruits. Maybe I can get recipes from my Asian step family through Skype or facebook? Or eat sticky rice and more meat instead of potatoes with more veggies/fruits? And I'm considering getting rid of dairy too. They don't use dairy. They use coconut oil/milk. What do you think? I seemed to do very well on a low-no produce Asian diet.

Fruits and veggies don't provide the bulk of calories in a typical Paleo diet. I believe you are misremembering. For us to best help you, please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings and let us know the time frame you were eating Paleo and gaining weight.

You can lose weight on any diet that provides a calorie deficit, but fruits and veggies are important for your health - the fiber to prevent colon cancer, among other things.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Ya, my ex lost 40 pounds in Thailand and wasn't even trying. He gave me Quick & Easy Thai Cuisine: Lemon Grass Cookbook by Panurat Poladitmontri and subsequently said the recipes I made were very authentic. All the recipes I use call for multiple vegetables.

One thing I noticed was that the portion sizes, especially of meat, were much smaller than we Americans are used to.

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are a good idea if you want to poop.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can stay alive without them. You probably won't be as healthy on a low/no vegetable diet.
    For optimum health your body needs nutrients- protein, vitamins, minerals, fats. Fruits and vegetables contain water and fiber which also help your body function better.
    Most vegetables are low calorie.

If you want to lose or maintain your weight you need to look at calories not type of food.