Best Affordable Protein Powders

Options
I’m looking for protein powder that is affordable (under $30) and tastes good with just water/milk. I might add it to smoothies and such at times, but I’ll probably drink it plain most of the time. I also want something that dissolves well in cold liquids.

I am not picky about which flavor it is. I just want it to taste good and dissolve well. I tried one before that wouldn’t dissolve and ended up becoming slimy chunks. It was gross.

Suggestions please?

Replies

• daniepps
    daniepps Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quest brand protein powders are pretty affordable and taste amazing.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I really like PEScience. It's easy to find someone with a 30% discount code on Instagram or YouTube.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Super cheap protein is Bulk Supplements whey iseolate. About $22 for 2lbs (30ish servings of 26g). It's flavorless, however.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The protein powder that I LOVE is a little over your dollar limit, but honey, it is soooo worth it! Go to Amazon and and look up Vega Sport Performance. I put it on Subscribe and Save and its only a little over $41 ( it does not charge you for shipping that way) and you can cancel your order easily or change it as often as you wish. I believe there are about 25 servings, so you can really stretch it out. I learned about it in the book Zero Belly Diet by David Zinczenko. He is a very well known and respected author in the health and wellness industry and I really respect his opinion, as I am a retired Medical Research Professional. And it taste good with just water! I normally make the shake in the book which is a scoop of powder, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1/2 cup ice cold water, 1/2 banana (which I break up in chunks and freeze before using in the shake) and a tablespoon of organic natural peanut butter, plus various other flavorings like fresh/frozen strawberries or blueberries, unsweetened cocoa powder. It's so delicious, I can't even tell you! He said that the thing most people love about that diet is that shake, and when I first started it I thought, "well, I'm not most people and protein shakes are never going to be my favorite." I was WRONG! Try it, you will love it. Promise!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    big bag of Cytosport protein at Costco is the best bang for the buck I've found.

I think its like $44 for a 6lb bag.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Cytosport has done the trick for me. I only use water with it and have no problem with the taste or texture. I bought it at Costco and paid about $30 for a 6 pound bag but I think it was on sale. The regular price is probably closer to $40 but for such a large bag it's a great deal.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both drink protein. I drink the Delight Protein Powder. It's specifically for women and I love how low in calories it is. But, it does have less protein as well. However, I use mine in smoothies so that isn't a deal breaker for me. For plain drinking, the vanilla chi is the best. I also drink the chocolate but I drink it with PB2. I hate the chocolate plain, without the pb. My husband buys the Body Fortress brand. He gets the chocolate peanut butter and it is a really good flavor. He does say that if you want to mix it with milk though, it's a no go but you get no chunks with water. Both of them are under $30. There are different price points depending on the size but even the largest isn't over $30.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a Cosco or Sams Club?You can get 6 lb. bags for cheap.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Most whey protein powders sell for $10-11/lb but, as noted above, Costco is currently selling Cytosport Muscle Max whey powder for just $40/6 lbs or $6.67, at my local store, almost 1/2 the going rate. It's the best deal on whey protein that I know of anywhere. Just bought 2 6# bags of the stuff myself.
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition milk chocolate whey powder is pretty good. Combat is pretty good too but i bit more $.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I like Target's Market Pantry Brand vanilla whey powder. $18 a pop and great for shakes and cooking.
  • courtcassiefit
    courtcassiefit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Myprotein is amazing! So cheap and they have discount codes everyday
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be looking into all the brands suggested. I do have a Sam's Club membership, so I'll check out what they have as well.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Walmart carries Body Fortress brands which are pretty cheap, usually in the $17 range for 1.5lbs. The one I use is the Whey Isolate in Vanilla or Chocolate, and I mix it with water and find it pretty decent tasting. At Sam's club, they have another brand (I forget what the name is) which also tastes pretty good but it has a LOT more carbs in it than the Body Fortress I find at Wal-Mart. A 1.5lb tub lasts me about a week so it's about the cheapest I can find, and it's 30g/scoop (Whey Isolate) with very few carbs and low (if any) lactose.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    FYI - Myprotein is having a sale on their Impact Whey. $54.99 for an 11 pound bag with the promo code IWP55.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    FYI - Myprotein is having a sale on their Impact Whey. $54.99 for an 11 pound bag with the promo code IWP55.

Thanks! Great deal at $5/lb for the whey. Bought two 11#bags and got a free 1.1# bag of creatine plus free shipping.

I hope I like the taste of the stuff. LOL!!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Walmart carries Body Fortress brands which are pretty cheap, usually in the $17 range for 1.5lbs. The one I use is the Whey Isolate in Vanilla or Chocolate, and I mix it with water and find it pretty decent tasting. At Sam's club, they have another brand (I forget what the name is) which also tastes pretty good but it has a LOT more carbs in it than the Body Fortress I find at Wal-Mart. A 1.5lb tub lasts me about a week so it's about the cheapest I can find, and it's 30g/scoop (Whey Isolate) with very few carbs and low (if any) lactose.

you bought an outdated or old tub(not that it matters really), the newer tubs are 38g a scoop for 30g of protein for the isolate. the regular whey are now 50g a scoop for 30g or protein. I just bought some with coffee in it. its mocha cappuccino flavor but have not tried it yet
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Thanks! Great deal at $5/lb for the whey. Bought two 11#bags and got a free 1.1# bag of creatine plus free shipping.

I've been using MyProtein for quite awhile now. The chocolate and vanilla flavors are tasty, mix pretty well, and are 100 calories with 20g protein per 25g scoop.
  • OatsnDonuts
    OatsnDonuts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go with MyProtein. It's the cheapest protein out there and it ranks highly in lab tests. Right now they've got 2.2lb bags for just $12.99 with promo code IWP12 (in the future check Slickdeals for promos).

Try their chocolate mint and strawberry cream. Those two were the most recommended to me. The chocolate mint tastes just like chocolate mint ice cream and the strawberry cream is a nice creamy flavor with a hint of strawberry.

sgt1372 wrote: »

It might be too late now, but next time I don't recommend buying 11lb bags if you haven't tasted the flavor before. I've had way too many bad experiences stockpiling protein powder because it was cheap.. then it tasted like crap and I was miserable trying to finish everything. So I learned my lesson.

Try the 2.2lb bags first (they're on sale regularly too). If you like it, buy larger bags the next time.

• dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like bodylogix. Minimal ingredients, no junk or fillers. On Amazon for under $30.