Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cesarean delivery may lead to increased risk of obesity among offspring

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Boston, MA – Individuals born by cesarean delivery were 15% more likely to become obese as children than individuals born by vaginal birth—and the increased risk may persist through adulthood, according to a large new study from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. In addition, individuals born via cesarean delivery were 64% more likely to be obese than their siblings born by vaginal birth.

The study was published online September 6, 2016 in JAMA Pediatrics.

The researchers also found that individuals born via vaginal birth among women who had undergone a previous cesarean delivery were 31% less likely to become obese compared with those born via cesarean birth following a cesarean birth.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/cesarean-delivery-obesity-risk-offspring/

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    :laugh: Skinny vag juice!
  • NorthCascades
    How does the method someone is born affect how they eat after they are born in childhood?

Absolutely no idea, but it seems to be true. If it really is, won't it be interesting to find out?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    How does the method someone is born affect how they eat after they are born in childhood?

Absolutely no idea, but it seems to be true. If it really is, won't it be interesting to find out?

That would be quite the study lol
  • NorthCascades
    How does the method someone is born affect how they eat after they are born in childhood? Makes no sense to me. FTR- None of my c-section children are overweight by any means.

Yeah, I'm not getting the connection. Sounds about as reliable as this:

No cause and effect relationship has been established yet. It might be that whatever prompted the C-section delivery is also making people more prone to becoming obese. Nobody really knows yet.

From everything we know today, this doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. But it does seem to be true. That's odd. If it turns out this really is true, we'll probably learn something new when we find out how it works.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    and there are lots more C sections in general, and lots more obese people in general.

I call BS.
  • LawOfFives
    LawOfFives Posts: 5 Member
    But like...what? I mean, is there like, skinny juice in the vag canal? How does this even work?

There is a theory that states that the reason a woman tends to involuntarily move her bowels during a vaginal birth is in order to help the newborn to colonize their gut bacteria, and we know that gut bacteria has a significant impact on hunger obesity, etc.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2016
    LawOfFives wrote: »
    But like...what? I mean, is there like, skinny juice in the vag canal? How does this even work?

There is a theory that states that the reason a woman tends to involuntarily move her bowels during a vaginal birth is in order to help the newborn to colonize their gut bacteria, and we know that gut bacteria has a significant impact on hunger obesity, etc.

I've never heard that. I've always just assumed that because you're pushing so hard and that there's been so much cramping of the muscles that that's what makes you take a *kitten* when you're giving birth (which is just a great idea, so glad that that might happen to me when I have a kid. I've always wanted to do that in front of strangers).

I've heard it, but I personally think it's kind of silly. The baby is going to get their gut flora after birth either through breast milk or through formula with added pro biotic. Breast milk, especially colostrum (which is present in the beginning before full milk production) contains tons of healthy bacteria which is transferred to baby. Bacteria also can be transferred from a mom's skin and also from their environment.

http://m.glycob.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/04/18/glycob.cws074

http://www.nature.com/jp/journal/v34/n8/full/jp201447a.html

Not to mention, the delivery room nurses dispose of mom's feces pretty quickly after it comes out, and they would be doing their best not to let it get into the baby's mouth. Feces may contain some good bacteria, but can also contain dangerous bacteria that can make a baby very sick.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Cesarean. The misspelling.
    3zs6tau65lva.gif

My daughter is obese because she eats too much and doesn't move around enough. Of course, she could be a skinny corpse* if I stuck with a vaginal delivery since being thin is more important than living.

*She was stuck in the canal with the prospect of a broken neck.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Correlation does not equal causation.

Oh JAMA - how the mighty have fallen...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Correlation does not equal causation.

Oh JAMA - how the mighty have fallen...

But it sure does make for a gripping headline, amirite?
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited September 2016
    Or babies who require C-sections are more likely to already be on the road to obese? Don't know.

Babies are born with different weights after all and I don't think all the difference is accounted for by mother's eating habits?

And I agree @zyxst: quite pointless study when talking life and death situations
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    LawOfFives wrote: »

I've never heard that. I've always just assumed that because you're pushing so hard and that there's been so much cramping of the muscles that that's what makes you take a *kitten* when you're giving birth (which is just a great idea, so glad that that might happen to me when I have a kid. I've always wanted to do that in front of strangers).

The best part is when the roaming packs of medical students and your coworker's husband come barging into the room to see the exciting parts, among other indignities. You lose all sense of shame. It's part of what makes you a mother, LOL.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    edited September 2016
    Well could it be associated with people who needed Cesarean's were obese to begin with and that habitual eating pattern got passed onto the child?
    And the one's with vaginal births could have only gained minimal weight and were fit already before giving birth?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png