Eggs in your diet

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Eggs are a delicious whole food...my wife and I do vegetarian 3-4 days per week and we eat a lot of eggs and we're considering getting chickens in the spring so that we can get our own eggs right here at home...dietary cholesterol really isn't a concern for most people...for most people, dietary cholesterol has no bearing on blood serum levels.

Keeping chickens is fun. The one thing that annoys me is that they drop off production in the winter so we've had to get more and more hens and then in the springtime we have more eggs than we know what to do with.

I have a vegetable garden and give away excess produce on freecycle.org. My recipient give me excess eggs.
  • xx_steph_xx
    xx_steph_xx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a delicious whole food...my wife and I do vegetarian 3-4 days per week and we eat a lot of eggs and we're considering getting chickens in the spring so that we can get our own eggs right here at home...dietary cholesterol really isn't a concern for most people...for most people, dietary cholesterol has no bearing on blood serum levels.

Keeping chickens is fun. The one thing that annoys me is that they drop off production in the winter so we've had to get more and more hens and then in the springtime we have more eggs than we know what to do with.

Yep in the summer take the eggs to work and sell 6 for £1. My work colleagues love fresh eggs :)
  • xx_steph_xx
    xx_steph_xx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have eggs every morning and sometimes for tea too.... atleast 3 a day.... they're great for you and keep you full
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Well I have been known to eat up to 6 eggs a day. So yeah. I feel that eggs are just fine.
  • kadybug97
    kadybug97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 eggs per day 6 days a week! I've heard things about how having a lot of eggs is bad for your cholesterol but I think that myth has been proven false...?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    kadybug97 wrote: »
    I eat 3 eggs per day 6 days a week! I've heard things about how having a lot of eggs is bad for your cholesterol but I think that myth has been proven false...?

This is still one of the most common diet myths out there - that egg consumption increases cholesterol. There is little to no evidence supporting that dietary cholesterol has any impact on blood cholesterol.

• BridgetHarrington
    Options
    I have 2-3 eggs every day for some meal and don't have cholesterol issues. I don't eat a lot of meat, so it's one of my primary protein sources.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Your local food bank would probably be immensely grateful for any spare eggs you might have in the spring and summer. I wish I were being overrun with eggs (I live in a city where chickens are illegal) but regrettably I'm just overrun with eggplants, LOL. Not quite as tasty. They gratefully take all my spare produce regardless.

Or, like thrifty farm wives have known across the centuries, maybe there is a market among your friends and neighbors for free-range eggs. We pay $3/dozen for eggs from my daughter's riding stable, and they will last for months if the dirt and "bloom" are not wiped off till just before use. Have you tested how long your eggs will last in the fridge? The more I have the chance to observe real free-range chickens and real eggs, the more amazed I am at the miracles of animals literally turning crap (they LOVE living in a stable!) into gold (with the most intensely colored yolks you have ever seen).

I could go for some eggplant parmiggiana!

Yes, we have a market for them, but we only recently tapped into that resource in this, our fourth year of keeping chickens. It's an hour away, but it's usually worth it. Closer to home, many people already have their own flock or buy from the Amish farm stands. I can't really compete.

We usually keep our eggs au natural for home use, but our state's laws require refrigeration asap and we've found that our buyers prefer the poop to be washed off. You & I know that's just ignorance, but I can't be educating everybody. ;)

I never thought about the food bank. As the hens slow down and make the long trip less and less worth the gas money, I might look into that.

eta: Yes, fresh eggs last a very long time. I believe grocery store eggs are already a few weeks old by the time they get to market.

Free-range is kind of a loaded term. My birds have plenty of outdoor and indoor space, but they are protected from predators by a chain link fence. At night, when they go home to roost, they are locked up, again, to guard against predators.
  • ricmac68
    ricmac68 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eggs most days for me. 2 or 3 depending where my calories are for the day.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I eat a ridonculous amount of eggs each day. I sometimes force myself to have no egg days, because I worry myself. Like I'll have three for breakfast, one or two on a salad for lunch, and even throw another fried egg or two on some greens with dinner. They're amazing. I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you. I also assume that poached of soft scrambled eggs would be a lot easier to chew and digest than boiled ones.
  • Exquisitern
    Exquisitern Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Scrambled are sometimes an issue for my stomach, but not the boiled or fried, I've never tried to poach before, not sure how to do that, but I usually take the first one with me to work at breakfast and eat the second at dinner on a salad, but I think I am going to up it to 3 a day with all of the good advice I've gotten on here. Thanks everyone
  • Nickisa24
    Nickisa24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat 2+ eggs every day. As far as I know, I'm fine ;)

Eggs are great!!
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In the winter try adding a few quarts of boiling water to the chicken water... the nice warm, by the time they drink it, tends to keep them laying good in the winter.
    also some lighting in the coop will help

2-3 eggs 6 days a week for me!

• Sara1791
    Options
    jvcjcooper wrote: »
    In the winter try adding a few quarts of boiling water to the chicken water... the nice warm, by the time they drink it, tends to keep them laying good in the winter.
    also some lighting in the coop will help

2-3 eggs 6 days a week for me!

Thanks! I'll try it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Good timing on this post. I was debating on whether or not to get a small coop with ~6 hens. My daycare has one with 5-8 laying hens throughout the year. The kids tend to the chickens and bring in the eggs, then help prepare breakfast.

Favorite recipe: "Cheng Special" 6 eggs, 2 yolk omelette with mushroom, onion, spinach, RGY peppers, and fresh black pepper served with some salsa and hot sauce. Good stuff!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Eggs are great. I highly recommend fresh duck eggs if you can find them. They're so much creamier than chicken eggs. I know they're expensive, but man are they worth it!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Your local food bank would probably be immensely grateful for any spare eggs you might have in the spring and summer. I wish I were being overrun with eggs (I live in a city where chickens are illegal) but regrettably I'm just overrun with eggplants, LOL. Not quite as tasty. They gratefully take all my spare produce regardless.

Or, like thrifty farm wives have known across the centuries, maybe there is a market among your friends and neighbors for free-range eggs. We pay $3/dozen for eggs from my daughter's riding stable, and they will last for months if the dirt and "bloom" are not wiped off till just before use. Have you tested how long your eggs will last in the fridge? The more I have the chance to observe real free-range chickens and real eggs, the more amazed I am at the miracles of animals literally turning crap (they LOVE living in a stable!) into gold (with the most intensely colored yolks you have ever seen).

Yes, we have a market for them, but we only recently tapped into that resource in this, our fourth year of keeping chickens. It's an hour away, but it's usually worth it. Closer to home, many people already have their own flock or buy from the Amish farm stands. I can't really compete.

We usually keep our eggs au natural for home use, but our state's laws require refrigeration asap and we've found that our buyers prefer the poop to be washed off. You & I know that's just ignorance, but I can't be educating everybody. ;)

I never thought about the food bank. As the hens slow down and make the long trip less and less worth the gas money, I might look into that.

eta: Yes, fresh eggs last a very long time. I believe grocery store eggs are already a few weeks old by the time they get to market.

Free-range is kind of a loaded term. My birds have plenty of outdoor and indoor space, but they are protected from predators by a chain link fence. At night, when they go home to roost, they are locked up, again, to guard against predators.

Oh, I would love to swap my surplus eggplants (and pattypan squash...and tomatoes....!) for eggs. That might be another idea for you to keep in mind. Bartering is such a lost art in our culture.

Here's another fun project you can do with your spare eggs. Science fair/zombie apocalypse practice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYgguMz1qI
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating them. I miss them from time to time but not as much as I used to- I get my protein from beans.
  • Sara1791
    Options

Oh, I would love to swap my surplus eggplants (and pattypan squash...and tomatoes....!) for eggs. That might be another idea for you to keep in mind. Bartering is such a lost art in our culture.

Here's another fun project you can do with your spare eggs. Science fair/zombie apocalypse practice!

I can't click the link right now but is that the waterglass method? Granny Miller had a post on that.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I can't click the link right now but is that the waterglass method? Granny Miller had a post on that.

It's comparing a variety of methods that would have been used in the Revolutinary War era. Waterglass depends on industrially processed materials that wouldn't have been so accessible in the colonial era. This site does scores of recreations of the recipes from the earliest American cookbooks. It's pretty awesome if you like to geek out on that stuff. But Granny Miller is pretty awesome as well. I was so disappointed when she stopped commenting and mothballed most of her site.