need trick please no judgment please

Options
i want to have trick for start to be more actives wen you never do sport and don't have money to go at the gym and buy all gym house equipment and no friends to go for a walk .

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    work out vid on netflix if you have it,
    or youtube
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    i see a boston in your pic, yours?? there is a friend to walk with.
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try little things to get more active. At work and grocery stores, I park way out at the end and walk there. For lunch I walk to a local subway if I want to get something to eat. I listen to music while I clean and try to dance or do it quickly. Jumping jacks and push up if I'm feeling up to it. Things like that. Try to look at every activity you do and see if there a more active way of doing it. Hope that helps!
  • McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Get some DVDs to work out too. They have some at walmart for 10$ +.

I use P90x it's more expensive but I consider it an investment.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    My sister and I buy a lot of exercise DVDs. We have a Pilates DVD for muscle toning, a Dance Workout for cardio and aerobic workout, and lots of others. You can find so many DVDs to work out with, and you have your instructor right there on the TV, plus you don't have to worry about equiptment :smile:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I started out going for walks with my dog. It went from 15 minute walks to an hour or more at a time now. I really enjoy the walks with my dog, if you have a dog you can walk with then I would suggest this. There really isn't any tricks that I know of but there are lots of exercise videos on Youtube that you can work out with if you don't have any exercise videos. Good luck!!!
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your local library does it, but in my area you can check out videos of all kinds (including exercise) on DVD and keep them for a week. If they're not in high demand, you can re-borrow them until someone else wants them.
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bostons have tons of energy, start taking him for long walks!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You might check out your local library, most have DVDs that you can borrow at no cost. Also, look to local community centers, junior colleges, and churches for affordable exercise classes. These are usually available for a nominal fee. If you are employed and it is acceptable, place an add on the bulletin board for an exercise/walking partner (can walk at lunch maybe) and/or someone to exchange DVDs with so the cost will be minimal. Also, as suggested by others, YouTube has videos available. Good Luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    edit: duplicate post.
  • rvrstone
    rvrstone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can use things around the house instead of gym equipment. Cans of soup work great for low weight dumbbells, use your staircase and do step ups on the bottom step, go to your neighborhood playground for pull ups on the monkey bars. There are some really low cost ($15 or less) workout videos too that don't require a lot of equipment but give a good work out.
  • mum2littledove
    mum2littledove Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    With me it started with dog walking - if you don't have a dog then shelters are often looking for volunteers. I gradually built up the distances and speed, and then progressed to jogging and I'm now obsessed with running every day! I was totally rubbish at sports at school, and a couch potato before March of this year, so I've gone from nothing to running 18 miles in 4 months. Running isn't totally free because you need good shoes, but you can always get last season's styles at good prices in the sales from surfing the internet - less than the cost of 1 month of gym membership.

Anyone can start running at any age - endurance does not decline with age.

For inspiration, check out the story of Cliff Young.

http://www.elitefeet.com/the-legend-of-cliff-young

And of course there is the most understated workout of all - a good session of housework. I've developed a passion for hoovering and ironing, and I no longer see them as chores.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels DVDs are cheap and effective. $10.
    Supreme 90 program is like P90X and it's $20...and has 10 DVDs in it.

Both are cheap investments in your health! You'd be working out and getting great results for $.20-.30 a day! They need only dumbells. Supreme 90 uses a fitness ball but you can modify if you don't. You don't need a lot of room either.

I actually prefer to walk myself. It's "my time" and it's when I work through the potholes of my life and gives me time to focus on what I want to achieve, etc. But I agree, your dog would love to go for a walk!!
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. Just starting here myself but maybe I can help by telling you what I do... I also don't have a gym membership. And if I walk it's with my 3 year old at his pace. But at this point, I figure movement is movement. Anything that gets me moving and off the couch is exercise and that us beneficial to my weight loss. As a reforming couch potato, I also love tv. There's about 5 shows each week that are an hour long that I record on my dvr. When the kids are napping or playing outside and the hubby isn't home from work yet, I'll throw on the show and commit to moving for the hour its on. It's not a structured "work out" but I'm moving and breathing heavy once its over. I start with sitting on the couch, then standing up. Then standing and sitting. I'll do that for a good 10 minutes. Then I'll grab some heavy soup cans and I'll stand with my feet apart and I'll take the cans one in each hand and bend over to put them on the ground then stand up and raise them over my head. At every commercial break, I walk up and down the stairs. If my legs get tired, I push through it. And when I need to sit, I sit and do circles with my arms. I just commit to keep moving for that hour and it isn't easy but I do it. I am obese and I'm sure there are other things I can do eventually but for me this is the best place to start. Hope that helps. And if you're looking for some support, add me. I'll help keep you motivated.
  • midgeonthego
    Options
    If you have a local mall sometimes they do mall walks. I started with little things, like taking the stairs instead of an escalator or elevator. You can do many exercises at home without equipment.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would just start with what's available around you: walk up and down stairs, walk around the block (by yourself or with your cute doggie if you're in a safe area), do some sit ups and push ups and stretches - nothing fancy is required! Stand more instead of sitting. LIke a previous poster said, using soup cans for weights is a great idea! Do you have a bike or can you perhaps borrow one? You don't need to go to the gym or have any fancy equipment! All the best to you in your journey to better health!
  • ItsmeLauraB
    Options
    Music is my best friend! I find myself dancing around to the beat while doing housework. If I'm walking out in the neighborhood or at the park, I add arm movements like bicep curls or just raising and lowering my arms over my head. I too am a coch potato, so...I commit to moving during commercials. One time I'll do crunches, the next I'll jog in place, or jumping jacks, or whatever I can think of to move. The key to all of thi is to eat less and move more. Hope this helps and good luck to you!!
  • JulieTremblay
    Options
    but i never did exercise and don't know how to start. every thing is very expensive
  • midgeonthego
    Options
    walking is free, climbing stairs is free! Start there.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    but i never did exercise and don't know how to start. every thing is very expensive

does not have to be expensive. you are on here so lets assume you have a computer and internet.

go to youtube search workout, you will find bunches.

put a leash on your doggies and walk out the front door.

put the stereo, mp3 player or what everyou you have and jut get UP and move.

I am not meaning to sound snarky but there honeslty is no big trick or secret to starting to exercise.

the first step is to make up your mind
    the second step is to get up and do!

the onlly thing that can stop you is you.