DISCIPLINE OR MOTIVATION

Options

47 year old, married with two children and one grandson. I lost 102 lbs eighteen years ago. I've gained weight sometimes 23lbs, 12lbs, 16lbs. I've been at it for 63 days. I need to lose 23lbs. I've been following my diary goals and I can see results of myself but I'm bored of gaining and losing weight all time. I don't need motivation for doing this. I really need discipline. Everyone have lost motivation for different reasons. The motivation is difficult to keep it but the discipline is a key ingredient to the success recipe.

I’m motivated to do this”. “I’m motivated to do that”. Stop being motivated and just do it already! You don’t need more motivation – you need discipline.

Discipline doesn’t just “happen.” It’s intentional and it’s repeated. Every. Single. Day.
Motivation is the start, but if it’s not solidified into a discipline, it usually fades away into regret pretty quickly once you realize you never acted on it.

Replies

• divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree with this so much! People will say to me, "You are so motivated" or "I wish I had your motivation." As if I am any more motivated than they are at 5:00 a.m. to leave my nice warm bed! Or like I don't want that doughnut too!

It does take a certain amount of discipline and consistency to stay on this and see results. You have to do it even when you don't feel like it. You have to do it even when you are NOT motivated. But I will say that when you truly make these habits and daily routines, it does become something you just "do." Like showering. Or making your bed. Required. Not an option. No excuses.

I also find with that mindset, you end up saving so much willpower and mental energy. Instead of this back and forth internal struggle of "I should go to the gym" vs "But I don't feel like it" as one example, you don't even give yourself the option to not go. I lay out my clothes the night before, set my alarm, and it's just a given.

Now instead of making excuses in my head, it's become a stubborn pride and determination how to make it happen. I don't know exactly when that shift in my head happened, but making things a habit and daily routine helped so much to stay disciplined.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Music to my ears, man.

My dad was a huge stickler about this same thing. Whenever my sister and I were whining about not wanting to do things when we were young, he would get this huge fake grin and say, "Girls, I have some great news- you don't have to want to do something in order to get it done! You can just do it anyways!"

God we hated that, but here I am at 24 repeating it to myself...
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    the difference between motivation and discipline is the difference between saying you'll do something and actually doing it
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I've realized this recently. Most people look for motivation, maybe because that's how they started, but when it comes down to it. It's all about discipline. A word almost shunned today it seems like (outside of the military). Therefor I've decided to make myself disciplined with weight loss and maintenance.
  • Zamantha2016
    Zamantha2016 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Discipline doesn’t sound like fun, but it’s how you see results
  • Zamantha2016
    Zamantha2016 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @leaninsc "I lay out my clothes the night before, set my alarm, and it's just a given." This is very important thing to do actually!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This is from my blog, a couple of years (and around 60lbs) ago:

Motivation is a fickle, changeable thing which can be fleeting, easily misdirected or lost. It means being enthusiastic and positively wanting to do something, which is great while it lasts, but what about when it goes? All you have to do is look around MFP to see how people struggle with a loss of motivation.

I'm past relying on motivation. I'm not motivated, I'm committed... I'm determined... but most of all I'm resigned. I'm not excited and well keen to get healthy, I HAVE to do it. I NEED to do it. It isn't a pass-time I can pick up and drop at will.

I'm not "motivated" to go to work in the morning. I do it because I have bills to pay, things I want to buy, a household to feed, a car to run and a lifestyle to sustain.

I'm not "motivated" to clean my house. I do it because I have a level of comfort to maintain, a desire to not live in dirty surroundings, a level of health I wish to keep up.

I don't clean the poop out of my cats litter tray because I'm "motivated". I do it because it stinks and is gross.

I don't make good choices with my food and haul my *kitten* out to go running because I'm "motivated". I do it because I have physical pain I want to lessen and/or avoid, a lifestyle I wish to attain/maintain, a level of health I want to keep up, and a desire not to live in substandard surroundings - in this case an unhealthy body.

I have been "dieting" for 18 years. I have joined Weight Watchers more than 12 times. I've done shake diets, I've counted calories and I considered a lap-band. I have "fallen off the wagon" because I "lost motivation" more times than I can count.

Now this time, it's different. Sure, a lot of the time I'm motivated. But a hell of a lot of the time, I'm not. But I'm committed and resigned to the fact that unless I want my body to be unhealthy, miserable, unattractive and broken, I have to do this. Same way as I have to go to work when I can't be bothered, or have to clean my house when I'd rather sit on the couch in my jimjams.

This isn't optional any more. I've put it in the necessity basket. I'm not doing it because I want to - I'm doing it because I have to.

This has been about making this my new "normal". For so long, there was "normal" and there was "dieting". Now sensible choices have to be normal, and the splurges are the anomalies. So there's no needing to get back on the wagon, it's just going back to normal. I think that's what I never got when people said it was a 'lifestyle change'. It's kind of like when I quit smoking. For the longest time I was a smoker who had quit. Then eventually, slowly, I was a non-smoker. This kind of feels like that.

• judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    I also find with that mindset, you end up saving so much willpower and mental energy. Instead of this back and forth internal struggle of "I should go to the gym" vs "But I don't feel like it" as one example, you don't even give yourself the option to not go. I lay out my clothes the night before, set my alarm, and it's just a given.

Now instead of making excuses in my head, it's become a stubborn pride and determination how to make it happen. I don't know exactly when that shift in my head happened, but making things a habit and daily routine helped so much to stay disciplined.

This is SO true for me. Once I stopped waffling about exercising and having to decide about it every morning, instead just wake up knowing I'm going to start the day on the treadmill, it's saved me a ton of mental energy.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You're similar to me :) I lost 90 lbs back in the 90s... put some of it back on due to many lifestyle events/choices. I am now 16 lbs from my goal in the year 2016. It is ALL about discipline. It is motivating to step on the scale and see the numbers go down. It is motivating when people comment about weight loss and looking better.

It is DISCIPLINE when you get up every day at 5am, no matter what - to work out. When you log your calories every single day, every single bite, without fail (good or bad). When you step on the scale and see that you've gained 2 lbs, and instead of throwing your hands up and having a cheeseburger... stepping off of the scale and having a grilled chicken breast and veggies. This is DISCIPLINE.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    I lay out my clothes the night before, set my alarm, and it's just a given.

I do the same. When I get home from work, I immediately unpack my bag from the gym. Figure out what I'm going to wear the next day, pack it in my bag, and walk it out to my car.... every single thing that I need for the next day is in my car. When my alarm goes off at 5, my only choices is to get up, put on workout clothes and head to the gym :)