Starving a lot

Options

Replies

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    - Are you drinking enough water? Very often, thirst can masquerade as hunger.
    - Are you sure that you're actually hungry? Think about what foods you want to quell the hunger. If vegetables wouldn't satisfy you, you're probably not hungry.
    - Are you eating because of boredom or some other emotion? Are you eating because it's a time of day you normally would?

I'm going to sound like an *kitten* for saying this... but it's ok to be a little hungry sometimes. ALL THE TIME is no good, but it's perfectly natural to be hungry between meals.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Your diet is very high in carbs - 41% carbs and only 21% protein. That's a high amount of carbs, I'd be hungry too! They turn into glucose in your body which gives you that "sugar rush" and then a crash an hour or two later. I would save a few sweet things to have at night (either the muffin, the yogurt or hot chocolate etc) and up the proteins and fats during the day so I wasn't hungry at work. It may take some experimenting to figure out what works best for you :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.. A couple questions. Protein powders can it just be with cold water?

You could probably make a big "hot chocolate" with chocolate protein powder and unsweetened almond milk that's been warmed up!

• Ninebubblewaters
    Ninebubblewaters Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein helps me. I used to eat high carb. Also what it boils down to is if I want to eat enough to be satisfied I have to work out almost daily
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have read the most recent posts. I will respond when I am home on the computer instead of my phone..
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,124 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.. A couple questions. Protein powders can it just be with cold water?

You could probably make a big "hot chocolate" with chocolate protein powder and unsweetened almond milk that's been warmed up!

Be forewarned, some protein powders don't mix well with anything hot. I use Isopure, but you should not mix that brand with anything but cold liquids (I tried to put some in my hot coffee and it got all clumpy and gooey - not all protein powders react this way from what I understand. Others have said you can mix protein powder with something cold, and later heat up the mixture and it will be okay, but I've not tried that yet). I mix it with either Almond Milk or water. I use the Almond milk most often when I'm making a fruit smoothie with frozen fruit. If I need a quick protein fix, I just mix it with water and have a protein drink.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Your diet is very high in carbs - 41% carbs and only 21% protein. That's a high amount of carbs, I'd be hungry too! They turn into glucose in your body which gives you that "sugar rush" and then a crash an hour or two later. I would save a few sweet things to have at night (either the muffin, the yogurt or hot chocolate etc) and up the proteins and fats during the day so I wasn't hungry at work. It may take some experimenting to figure out what works best for you :)

And some people do just fine with a lot of carbs. It's personal preference and finding what works for the individual. I've lost over 100 lbs with 50-60% of my daily calories being carbs and I'm almost never hungry.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the responses, but it seems that you could possibly benefit from more fiber. Your fiber goal is not excessively high, and in the days I looked at you didn't really come close to meeting it. I would suggest beans (not green beans ones like kidney beans, chickpeas, and the like) and lentils, especially lentils.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Take a sweater to work. Remove it for your walks. My job is like a meat locker. Sometimes I wear 2 sweaters which I remove the moment I step out the door.

I really am not suppose to wear a sweater cause then I am "out of uniform" I can wear shirts under my scrub so I decided from now on I am wearing long sleeves.. also when I am one of my clients house where we have to keep it cold I will put my light jacket on if I need to.. the other place they are too worried about the uniform cause I believe by me being in the nursing home that I am advertising for the care my company provides.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    I have not read all the responses, but it seems that you could possibly benefit from more fiber. Your fiber goal is not excessively high, and in the days I looked at you didn't really come close to meeting it. I would suggest beans (not green beans ones like kidney beans, chickpeas, and the like) and lentils, especially lentils.

I am working on getting more fiber in. I use benifiber twice a day but I forget to log it. I do that due to a side effect of the iron.. It's getting cool so I am sure I will start using more beans in my diet.. thanks for the reminder.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options

And some people do just fine with a lot of carbs. It's personal preference and finding what works for the individual. I've lost over 100 lbs with 50-60% of my daily calories being carbs and I'm almost never hungry.

Thanks for your suggestion.. I been trying to move my diet around to see if I notice a difference.. I didn't have any extreme hunger over the weekend.. I notice it hits my about 5 pm which is about the time I am at my 2nd clients place.. I felt like it was starting but it calmed down tonight.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    - Are you drinking enough water? Very often, thirst can masquerade as hunger.
    - Are you sure that you're actually hungry? Think about what foods you want to quell the hunger. If vegetables wouldn't satisfy you, you're probably not hungry.
    - Are you eating because of boredom or some other emotion? Are you eating because it's a time of day you normally would?

I'm going to sound like an *kitten* for saying this... but it's ok to be a little hungry sometimes. ALL THE TIME is no good, but it's perfectly natural to be hungry between meals.

I actually drink lots of water. I carry around a bottle all day and fill it a lot.. I am pretty sure the times when I feel extremely hunger even after eating that it's true hunger. I am not craving anything in mind. I just want food.. Since most of these moments happen I am at work I can only eat the food I bring with me. I do have some habits where I eat of out habit and that is something I am trying to work on too.. also more will power to say no to treats that float around the retirement home and even practicing eating a portion and throwing it out.

Today, I did actually ignore my hunger after I already had a snack and just waited to dinner.. so hopefully if I work on that more my stomach will learn who is boss and it will quit being a jerk.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    Lots of protein helps me. I used to eat high carb. Also what it boils down to is if I want to eat enough to be satisfied I have to work out almost daily

I am working on getting back to setting up times where I work out as much as possible during the week.. I would be happy with 5 times a week.. I have two shifts where I work 12 hour days and it's just too much of a challenge to get out after my son leaves and get myself to work on time.. the workout can only be 40 minutes max.. so I decided to best use that time for planning and logging my food and a little relaxing.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I love sweets and snack food too. I limit those items to the evening - after dinner. I find if I have something like that earlier in the day I just want to keep eating it all day. It is the kind of food that doesn't fill me up.

Thanks.. I need to limit mine and set little rules to keep me on track.. my favorite lately is a small frosty from Wendy's.. I had an hour down time and told myself if I didn't eat any sweets I would get one.. I know I could use better use of that time and walk. But i did walk 30 minutes when my client took a nap.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Also make sure you are getting 7-8 hrs of sleep. Not getting enough sleep can cause you to be hungrier the next day.

I don't typically get 7 to 8 hours sleep.. a little bit is due to staying up too late but mostly just due to work and then being up for my son and then off to work myself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Vegetables alone don't fix hunger, and vegetables alone is not a meal, but it should constitute part of a meal. So I use that as a checkpoint for whether I'm hungry - am I ready to eat a meal, or do I just want to eat?

That is not being a kitten, that is reassuring. The food and diet industries make a lot of money on making people think they are hungry, and that not being full all the time, is somehow bad. The perceived need for snacks and snacking that seems to prevail, is concerning.

That is not a high amount of carbs nor low protein, but if those carbs are made up from sweets and milkshakes and cake, it's a poor diet.

Or that could set off more cravings. For me, it's best to stay away from sweets as much as possible, and also mock-sweets.
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have you tried intermittent fasting. Its when you eat all your calories within a certain a specific window. When I do IF. I usually eat from 11-7 everyday. I try to use the time prior to and after my eating period to get my water in for the day. I aim for a gallon a day. Black coffee and plain tea also help. It takes time to retrain your body. When you feel hungry do another activity like go for a walk.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    No. I haven't tried that but since I am aiming for more protein its been a lot better.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    You may need more protein and more healthy fat within your calorie allowance to stay satisfied. Also load up on nonstarchy vegetables to fill the "hole".

I agree with this. I found that the key - at least for me- to curbing my hunger was to up the protein and healthy fats. Really makes a difference...a couple of bites of chicken breast or 6 or 7 unsalted roasted almonds with a glass of water - and wait a few minutes. Really makes a dent in that gnawing hunger feeling...
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    Yes.. I also stopped being afraid of the fats and use them in meals at times. I am feeling better about the dying of hunger situation.. Also been better at getting my workouts in the last couple of weeks. I feel like my body naturally "wants" 2000 calories a day so I need to work out if I am going to get the scale to move downward.. so feeling good about things again.