Beans with out rice? Felony or misdemeanor?

Options
I saw in comments on a separate thread somewhere someone mentioned after reading someone's food diary that the person had beans with no rice. I have heard before that they should be consumed together but why? I know, it's probably something simple and I *should* already know. But I don't know and I fail to understand why it's really that bad to have beans with no rice. Further, does corn bread or some other grain count as an acceptable sub for rice in a bean eating situation? Say a corn tortilla, or cornbread, oats or what ever? Also is there some bean to grain ratio that is best to use? I figure the way I love beans I may want to check into this. Thanks!

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I won't lie. There is not usually anything balanced about the way I eat. I mean, I try but sometimes I just eat whatever I want. Like several servings of a leafy green and a pile of Brussels's sprouts. Or if I make beans I have to make a small amount because I will eat them until they are gone. I lack discipline and self control. I like to think I can do better about it someday. Thanks for the link!
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Beans combined with rice make a "complete protein"- one that has 9 essential amino acids. Corn can be used as a substitute. Don't overthink/stress it- you don't have to eat them together to gain the benefit if you're eating them at various meals in the day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not needed. Google "complete protein myth".
    Options
    Okay thanks all! I am glad to be hearing exactly what I hoped for. I will search the Complete protein myth" as suggested!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're going to make complete amino chains throughout the day with various foods. It's not bad to not have beans in combination with rice...but beans and rice is pretty good.
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're going to make complete amino chains throughout the day with various foods. It's not bad to not have beans in combination with rice...but beans and rice is pretty good.

Yeah it is! I love both! I try to stay off the rice when I'm feeling "bingy" because I will eat it in quantity.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

But better if you top it with some grated cheese and a couple of poached or "Pam-fried" eggs. That is what I call a nice and balanced combination. :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I eat beans, corn, tomatoes and lentils (or split peas) for breakfast. Lots of fiber and protein. Tastes good too if properly spiced.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat rice, just don't care about it that much so it's not worth the calories to me. I eat beans and lentils a lot without it. I also am not a vegetarian, but like others said if you eat a variety of plant-based sources throughout the day you don't need to eat them together (and rice certainly is not the only grain).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, Asians have been eating rice largely w/o beans for eons w/o any significant nutritional or dietary concerns.

The only thing you need to worry about is how rice fits w/in your diet in terms of your nutritional needs and dietary limitations, given your specific weight/health goals.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Plain rice (and tea) are associated with tummy upsets in our family: when recovering from one, we were usually treated to small amounts of plain white rice, hot Lipton tea, and rest on the couch. To me, beans are a tasty but rather aggressive food. So, to my mind, the plain gentility of rice pairs nicely with the more assertive beans. I've read about the complete protein theory, and also its debunking. I have nothing to add on that score, but to me, for other reasons, rice and beans make perfect sense.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    eat some dead animals and don't worry about it.

/thread
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this before
    Are we talking black eyed beans
    Options

Just any beans.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    no idea, but where I'm from beans + rice together is the staple.

I however, eat what I want when I want.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I admit, I'm guilty of eating beans with no rice when I order a burrito bowl. I get more of the good stuff that way. Like meat.
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    eat some dead animals and don't worry about it.

Sometimes a gal just wants some beans. LOL
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating beans and rice---sometimes for 3 months solid,...as that's all the food we had--beans frozen,..left over from the garden. The rice tastes great with the beans and "stretches" the beans out longer. I now have had diabetes for over 10 years and I've learned to practically cut the rice out of the food I eat--because of all the carbs in it, that run my blood sugar up. Sure, beans have carbs,....and that is a lot of carbs for a diabetic in a meal--without the added high carbs that would be in rice too.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

I usually use red kidney beans but I'm sure any kind would be good.