do you weigh your food????

Options
hi all just wondering who weighs there food . my other half calls it obsessive. if i didnt weigh things id go way over my cals everyday i think

Replies

• candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yeh of course. My concept of a reasonable portion has way more calories than I need :P
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Getting a food scale was recommended by the nutritionist I had seen pre-surgery, and I have found it to be an invaluable tool. If you get one, be sure to use "grams" as opposed to "ounces" as it's much more accurate.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Nope do it by sight.
  • brickok
    brickok Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I weigh and pre-package all my food.
    So when I go shopping and get chicken breasts or pork tenderloin or anything for that matter I cut and weigh it and package it up in zip-lock bags and freeze it. Then when I am going to make a meal I just grab and cook. I also do this with my veggies, fruit and snacks for the week.
    It makes life so much easier and I know exactly what to log into my food diary.
    Hope this helps.
    Kim :)
  • jlomako
    jlomako Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there - I do try to weigh my foods when I can. Its not obessive it good practive, When I have tried to "guess" my foods weight I have been up to 50% out. Good Luck:smile:
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i have one and youll be surprised on how much a serving really is.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    hi all just wondering who weighs there food . my other half calls it obsessive. if i didnt weigh things id go way over my cals everyday i think
    Absolutely, I weigh my food. What's the point of tracking if you're not going to be accurate? Does your other half think putting the correct numbers in to balance your checkbook is obsessive? :laugh:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I do not...I would go crazy if I did LOL.
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    yes i do, i bought a digital food scale, i use also my measuring cup and spoons :flowerforyou:
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Getting a food scale was recommended by the nutritionist I had seen pre-surgery, and I have found it to be an invaluable tool. If you get one, be sure to use "grams" as opposed to "ounces" as it's much more accurate.

i use my old weight watchers scales its fab
  • PinkZeppelin
    Options
    I don't think I'd be able to do it without my food scale. I love it!
  • tapp52000
    tapp52000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The ONLY way I have been successful is by weighing my food. When I stopped and tried to "eyeball" it I gained. Obessive it may be but look at the alternative. (^_^)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I measure everything (except veggies - lettuce, tomatoes, etc.). It's too easy to mis-calculate when you eyeball it!
  • kirsteinm
    kirsteinm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I weigh almost everything but then again, i own ALL my obsessions. :blushing:
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I weigh and measure EVERYTHING!! I dont find it obsessive. I find it fosters accuracy. :)
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I weigh it to learn how big a serving is. For example, I weighed cereal until I understood how full to fill the bowl for one serving. I don't weigh everything else.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I absolutely weigh or measure whenever I can. Besides being more accurate; the more you do the more accurate you can be at guessing when you go out to dinner.
  • JannineOwen
    JannineOwen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything where possible as my guess work isn't good and my idea of portion size is way bigger than it needs to be, for example pasta, i now only have 170g which actually doesn't look alot on the plate but with whatever else i'm having fills me up fine and is over 300 cals but before i started MFP i would easily eat 3 times that not realising how many cals i was getting. weighing everything makes me realise how i got so fat in the first place :(
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I love my scale. I use it for everything from portioning out foods from larger packages into baggies to adding salad dressing to my salad and peanut butter to my sandwich (no dirty tablespoon to wash!). I don't have it pulled out every day, probably because I do pre-portion, but just about every other.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I sure do!! When I am on track I weigh everything!!!!!