Do you hide your gym success?

Options
I'm a woman, bench 150 for reps, swim, do the splits, sprint, lots of push ups, etc.

No one I actually know knows this.

They know I go to the gym and I explain my soreness by saying I like doing "big workouts," but no specs!

Any one else keeping their fitness goals and progress to themselves? Why?

I hide it to keep the subject off my weight, their diet suggestions and to preempt their sabotage attempts and not wanting to deal with their jealousy/accusations that I'm bragging.

But at this point, I'm wondering if they should see it (because I doubt they think I can do this). At this point, I don't mention when I get a new car, meet famous people, go on special events, get gifts or do entreprenual projects. I sound boring because I don't let people know what I'm doing! Because then I have to deal with their issues!

What say you, fellow fitness pals?

Replies

• thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    @littlemissbgiff - why? Or is that TMI?
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people because I figure they don't care.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    I don't tell anyone my goals, because if I do, there's a high likelihood that I won't achieve them. In the past when I did tell them, it felt good to do so, almost as if I have already accomplished what I set out to do, then I slacked off. When I do hit where I want to be, people are going to be like ....DAMN*

Sounds like a Ted Talk
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I don't tell people because I figure they don't care.

Maybe on your facebook, they don't. Do you keep it from your SO, parents, bff, etc.?
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    My husband isn't interested. My brother is into fitness so I'll share with him. Lately I've been running and have a goal and this is the first time the husband has shown an interest in supporting my efforts but otherwise anything I do fitness wise is silly so I keep it private
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I quite enjoy privacy with my own gym sessions - I don't hide it but, because I'm a PT. I spend enough time in gyms discussing training plans and stuff that I really just enjoy keeping my head down and getting on with my own.

That and, me and my SO have a special arrangement when it comes to me talking about my workouts - I talk about them, she reads something online and ignores me.
    I keep talking about it, she gives me 'the look'.

She's into fitness and actively participates in keeping fit with me (running, hiking, etc) but, not the gym!
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone who notices my weight loss first. If that makes them jealous or feel bad, then they shouldn't have asked. (I've actually had this happen)
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    I quite enjoy privacy with my own gym sessions - I don't hide it but, because I'm a PT. I spend enough time in gyms discussing training plans and stuff that I really just enjoy keeping my head down and getting on with my own.

That and, me and my SO have a special arrangement when it comes to me talking about my workouts - I talk about them, she reads something online and ignores me.

She's into fitness and actively participates in keeping fit with me (running, hiking, etc) but, not the gym!

She probably blocks it out. PT's always wear their clothes two sizes too small and have people ogling them, if not outright hitting on them. I wouldn't want to think about it either. :D
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

She probably blocks it out. PT's always wear their clothes two sizes too small and have people ogling them, if not outright hitting on them. I wouldn't want to think about it either. :D

Typically my gym gear is similar to my current profile photo!
    I'm all about compression gear!
    (Even my PT gear is compression Superdry gear with PT emblazoned on it lol!)
    Yeah we get hit on every now and again but, she trusts me - there's no way she's stay with me otherwise with my job, haha!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    gym successes ?

yeah, those are pretty easy to hide.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I use instagram to spew all my fitness-related excitement. My husband and I work out together, so I obviously share it with him too. Otherwise I don't talk much about it other than to tell people I lift and work out if it comes up.. no real details though.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    If you don't instagram a selfie with your latest PB stats - it never happened. sorry, but that's the law.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone my goals, because if I do, there's a high likelihood that I won't achieve them. In the past when I did tell them, it felt good to do so, almost as if I have already accomplished what I set out to do, then I slacked off. When I do hit where I want to be, people are going to be like ....DAMN*

Srsly - All through my life I've kept most of my goals secret. Most significant was my driving test (a long time ago), giving up smoking (I'd given up for 2 weeks before anyone asked me about it) and the last job I applied for (I didn't even tell my wife I was going for the interview, I just came home suited and booted and she asked why).

I don't really like it when people wish me good luck about that sort of things and have always felt that the more people that know the less likely it is that I'm going to be successful - weird but that's the way I am.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If someone is asking specifically: "Hey, what does your work out routine look like?" then I would share since they've asked and seem interested.

Otherwise, no...I don't just offer the info up.
    Most people DONT care. If they did, they'd ask for specifics.

When I ask a new mom how the baby is, I'm seriously looking for something simple (he's fine! He's a great sleeper! I miss 8hrs of sleep)
    I'm not looking for an entire play by play of what their days look like.