How fast do you have to go to be "running"?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited September 2016
    Walking= one foot on the ground at all times (alternating feet, of course, ;) )
    Running= at some times there are no feet on the ground.

Speed is not a consideration. Olympic race walkers ( one foot on the ground at all times) go very fast.

A 5 K is a good starting race. Most reasonably fit people can do 3.1 miles.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    My friend and I used to call this phenomenon the "hoppy walk." LOL

Seriously, it's running, but I know what you mean because I've done it. Others make running look so easy and I feel like my feet weigh 100 pounds each.

I'm getting faster, and you will, too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Naruya wrote: »
    You are a runner because you run, speed has nothing to do with it.
    Well not entirely. Going 2.0 miles an hour isn't really "running". Most people who are capable of walking can walk faster than that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Hi! Well done on your 5k. Like everyone else says don't worry about your current speed, you will get faster and go longer. Sprint/hiit/fartlek training is a good way to up endurance as well as speed, so stick at it :smiley:

You mentioned hip pain: see if your chiropractor (totally recommend seeing one), your gym or a local running shop do gait analysis (generally free or small fee involved), you may be doing something odd with your gait/body when running that you don't see/feel on the treadmill as it's VERY forgiving, but once you're on tarmac your feel the problem quickly. There are a lot of fixable things that it could be but gait analysis is one of the best ways of picking up muscle/tendon issues that running exacerbates.

If you don't see a chiro already go find a local good sports orientated one that isn't too expensive (ask your mates or at whatever clubs/gym you go to). If you are part of a sports club (running/horseys/tennis etc) see if any of the local chiros do a discount for that club's members. You can look for prices like £20 (with discount) to £50 per session, anything above that is just stupid, find someone cheaper (initial session will cost more). Don't worry if you don't like the chiro, feel free to try a few out until you find one that suits you, you have to be comfy with them while they're jabbing their thumbs in sore spots! (or if you're like me, you have to be comfortable giggling and squirming like a moron when it's supposed to hurt).
    Can't tell you how much more moveable i am after a good cracking session at the chiro's (my husband could though, he has to endure me bouncing about the house like a child on 5 mars bars).

Most importantly, of course, enjoy yourself. Running is fun! And if you find it hard to stay motivated... just remember, come the apocalypse and wolves/zombies/mutants are chasing you, you just need to be faster than the person next to you.
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    edited September 2016
    10 minute mile pace would be the cutoff, imo. A slower pace that involves having both feet off the ground at the same time would be jogging.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    It doesn't really matter what other people consider the magic (subjective) speed for running. What matters, is that you run at a pace that is comfortable for your current fitness level, and that you make sure not to do too much too soon.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    I like the word "trotting".
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    you ran
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    I'm doing a 5K trail run next weekend and I actually did contemplate this question when signing up. They asked that "runners" sign up for the first time slot and "walkers and joggers" sign up for the second time slot. I know I'm not a walker but, am I a runner or a jogger?? haha. Then I was like - screw it. Signed up for the first time slot. I'm a runner damnit!!

When races have that separation they normally mean the following:

Runners - People who will run the entire course
    Joggers - People who will run most of the course but will also taking walking breaks
    Walkers - People who will walk the course

Depending on the type of race it helps to ensure things such as the support and check points are in place at the correct time because walkers may go off earlier to make sure they complete the course in the day, with the runners going off later because they will finish quickly.

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    I say any pace that is faster than you walk. ;) If you run you are a runner. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Char231023 wrote: »
    I say any pace that is faster than you walk. ;)

My last Ultra I was down to 4mph by the last 4 miles. I'd still say I ran that race.

Personally I don't see pace as a differentiator. No need for faux snobbery
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    I start jogging at about 5mph on the treadmill. 4.2 is more of a fast walk for me. I think it's all relative to the person though!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I walk a 5k 6 days a week in the mornings, sometimes further. I jog part of it, and walk the rest. With previous back injuries, knee injuries, and the sad fact that I pretty much sat on my *kitten* for 20 years, I've had to re-learn running. I walk up o 4mph, and jog up to 6mph, but I can't do a full 5k running the whole way. I really don't think speed has much to do with it. I'd love to do a 5k in under 30 minutes, but I am going to have to be in much better physical shape than I am now, and even then my previous injuries may never allow me to do it. So congrats, and keep on keeping on no matter the speed. Walking for fitness is fine too, do what feels good to you. I think my average 5k speed is just under 40 minutes and that's with a mixture of jogging and walking.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Char231023 wrote: »
    I say any pace that is faster than you walk. ;)

My last Ultra I was down to 4mph by the last 4 miles. I'd still say I ran that race.

Personally I don't see pace as a differentiator. No need for faux snobbery

I think you miss the whole point of my post! I was saying as long as you are running you are a runner, it doesn't matter how fast you go!

I not sure what you mean by "faux snobbery".
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    The latter point was more about the 10 min mi bull upthread
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I run quite a bit, but only because I enjoy it as my cardio and so I'm not particularly fast or trying to get fast. I did a marathon back in May and I had to walk a couple of miles. I still "ran" the marathon and have the ink to prove it damn it! lol.

Seriously, if you aren't walking you're running. Simple as that. You and your body know the difference and call yourself a runner if you are out there trying. Be proud to join the rest of us idiots who do it! ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm a slow runner and always will be a slow runner. I cling to something someone once posted on one of these discussions a few years back. She said "running is a gait, not a speed." I thought that was so succinctly perfect. I've never forgotten it. It's what gave me the courage to call myself a runner. Running snobs would say I jog. I don't really care. I'm old and riddled with arthritis. I'm doing my body's best and have worked hard to be able to run every day. It's been a long time coming because I've wanted this badly.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I don't run but if I'm ever caught on a treadmill, the point where I go from walking to running is....5. Whatever that means lol.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    I like that description @GottaBurnEmAll ! And that's awesome you run every day!! Very inspiring. Yes, I would call that running!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I'm a slow runner and always will be a slow runner. I cling to something someone once posted on one of these discussions a few years back. She said "running is a gait, not a speed." I thought that was so succinctly perfect. I've never forgotten it. It's what gave me the courage to call myself a runner. Running snobs would say I jog. I don't really care. I'm old and riddled with arthritis. I'm doing my body's best and have worked hard to be able to run every day. It's been a long time coming because I've wanted this badly.

We have different definitions of "old" ;-) BUT similar definitions of "running".
    Keep on truckin'