High Carbs?

Options
Hi All,
I recently hired a trainer to give me workouts to help me lose weight as well as design my calories and macros.
He gave me a plan that gives me around 1400 calories, but it has me eating 135 grams of carbs and only 37 grams of fat per day.
This feels a little counterintuitive to me, as I've always tried to limit carbs and have worried less about "good" fats.

Can anyone give me input on whether they think this makes sense or maybe why a higher carb diet might be good for me?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I recently hired a trainer to give me workouts to help me lose weight as well as design my calories and macros.
    He gave me a plan that gives me around 1400 calories, but it has me eating 135 grams of carbs and only 37 grams of fat per day.
    This feels a little counterintuitive to me, as I've always tried to limit carbs and have worried less about "good" fats.

Can anyone give me input on whether they think this makes sense or maybe why a higher carb diet might be good for me?

Trainers generally are not that knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition, believe it or not.

That said, whether your carb goals are 25 grams or 225 grams, it does not matter as far as weight loss goes. What matters is what makes you feel full and helps you stick to your calorie goal. Fat does seem a bit low - I need about double that to feel full/satisfied at a calorie deficit.

How many grams of protein does that give you? (Too lazy to do the math, lol!)
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    130 grams a day is the minimum RDA. If your doing lots of weight training and/or cardio you need to fuel your body in order to do so. Carbs play an important role when bulking. I have averaged around 250 grams of carbs a day over the last couple years and lost 35kg so far. Obviously always best to eat healthy, complex carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's less than 40% carbs, so not high carb at all. Normal to slightly lower than normal -- what I'd call moderate carb.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter what carbs vs. fat percentages you have, but it's not uncommon for trainers to recommend including moderate or even more carbs to fuel activity. If you want to do a low carb diet, have you talked to your trainer about your preferences or why the reason for the break down? I think most trainers tend to have some preferred rules they go by.

Not that there's any nutritional or health or weight loss reason for most people to do a low carb diet, it's mostly just trendy now. Carbs (or foods that are largely carb) include lots of nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruits, whole food starches (tubers, grains like corn), and whole grains, as well as beans and lentils, among other options. Most of the lower nutrient "carbs" tend to have as much fat as carb in reality (like donuts, fries).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil, nor are they a problem. Carbs are the easiest source of energy for our body to use. According to your macros, this is not even "high" carb at all. I personally eat around 250g of carbs a day if that's any reference for you.

It all comes down to calories. Not protein. Not fat. Not carbs. Calories.

There are minimum requirements for protein and fats, but no minimum requirement for carbohydrates. The USDA simply states that most (45-65%) of your daily calorie intake should come from carbohydrates to assist in energy and satiety. Take that as you will.

I see nothing wrong with his/her recommendation.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all.. I keep my fats around 20% of my overall intake and protein and carbs fairly even, slightly less carbs. Carbs are great for energy and there is nothing wrong with them.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what your goals are and what your exercise workouts look like.

I am at 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat. I'll have a high carb day once a week where I double my carbs (from 127g to 254g). I also lift 6 days a week, HIIT cardio 3-4 times a week, and yoga once a week.

See how you feel eating at those macro levels for a couple of weeks. If you don't feel full, or even remotely satisfied, then go back to your trainer, or consult a nutritionist.

Like many others; it's trial and error. It's about finding food that makes you feel satisfied, and still have plenty of energy to workout. Every person is different. :)
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    That's not too far off- you're at about 23% fat, 38% carbs and 50% protein. That's a short term macro profile that's most likely based on your goals set with your trainer (I'm guessing- correct me if I'm wrong). Having hired your trainer and paid them for their expertise and ability to get you on track, I'd trust your trainer, give it 30 days and see how things are stacking up.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    That's a low carb (under 150g of carbs per day) and lower fat diet. I'm guessing you are high in protein? Some people find that lower carb with lower fat is hard to stick with. If so, up your fat. I eat close to triple your intake everyday. ;)

If it fits your needs, stick with it. If you want fewer carbs, lower it. There is no minimum carb level so that is the simplest one to reduce.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    That's close to 40p-40c-20f. Not unreasonable.

eta: Fat might be a little low, but that depends on your current weight.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi All,

That sounds off. The fat is too low (especially for a female). Since I don't know your stats its hard to say if 135 carbs are reasonable or not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

135 grams of carbs isn't high carbs...not remotely even close...

Not that it matters...carbs are pretty irrelevant...they're just the latest and greatest of dietary demons. I eat vegetarian 3-4 days per week so I eat a higher carb diet...lost of lentils and legumes and oats and other whole food carbohydrates...I had zero issues losing weight and haven't had any issues maintaining weight either...stop reading diet and fitness magazines that only present you with the latest in what is trendy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    130 grams a day is the minimum RDA. If your doing lots of weight training and/or cardio you need to fuel your body in order to do so. Carbs play an important role when bulking. I have averaged around 250 grams of carbs a day over the last couple years and lost 35kg so far. Obviously always best to eat healthy, complex carbs.

They usually go with a percentage rather than a number. That makes some sense.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/rda-requirement-carbs-day-4030.html

When they do speak in straight numbers it's an ALLOWANCE, not a minimum that's noted.

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/html/d5_carbs.htm

But again, that said: who makes that recommendation? The USDA.... kinda odd when you think about it.

PS: note the fiber recommendation. You don't hear that talked about much...