Advice\Help Needed

Options
itsthelegacy
itsthelegacy Posts: 7 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So i want to lose 50lbs. Ive tried losing weight many times. Ive tried eating better or home workouts but i find i lose my motivation. Maybe im doing something wrong i dont know. Can anyone tell me what the VERY first thing they did to kick start their weight loss was? Or healthy foods/good exersise to target stomach and back fat? I currently am 205lbs!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I did was decide I was going to lose weight for good this time and its been 992 days now and still counting. I log everything - good, bad, clean, dirty - what ever you want to call it I log it. I also invested in a food scale and I preplan just about every meal.
    As far as healthy meals - I eat just about everything. If it fits my calories & macros I am going to eat it. By not labeling food as "good or bad" it takes the stress out of living in a not always dieting world.
    Exercise - you can't spot reduce. Diet is key to losing weight, but exercise will enhance it. Cardio is good, but resistance/weight training should be incorporated as well.
    Hope this helps!! I'll send a FR for support!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The very first thing I did was to start writing down everything I ate in a notebook. I didn't measure or count calories. Rather, I wrote "1 serving" or "1 spoonful", etc. I made it a point to eat less junk and more fresh veggies and fruits. I had one serving of grains per week and one dessert per week (both on Sunday.) Those were two types of food with which I exhibited poor impulse control so I ate them only on Sunday and only one serving.

After a month, I started walking 3x/week. After another month, I started doing bodyweight workouts 2-3x/week and doing C25k on the in between days.

I went from 202.5 to 170ish doing the above. No calorie counting, weighing, etc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    Another vote for starting by logging everything I ate. Getting an idea for where I could make small, sustainable changes and slowly incorporating those.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have had a history of starting diets aggressively. Most of the time I couldn't keep it up, but every once in a while, when I had no competing interests and lots of motivation, I was successful. Sooner or later though, I regained. Just over a year ago I finally tried to lose weight slowly. After the initial drop, I aimed for only two pounds a month. I was not only able to sustain my efforts (because it was so easy) I am convinced I will never regain to any degree. So small deficit, more protein than I'd been having (which was very little in the past) and exercise for the feel good effect. Stack the odds in your favour.
  • ashlied84
    ashlied84 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just log everything. Even if you ate something not so good for you. Log it. When I eat something that maybe I shouldn't have and see it logged and see the calories, sugar, carbs etc staring me in the face I'm like "ok let's stay away from that!" And it truly helps. And try not to drink your calories! I had to give up my lattes and iced coffees bc it's just not worth it. And start with cardio for a workout. Lose some weight then start working out. That's my plan right now. Send me a FR if you'd like! :) You can do this girl!! I'm down 17lbs in 56 days just from logging food only and watching everything I eat. Haven't worked out at all.
  • itsthelegacy
    itsthelegacy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot guys, I'm going to try and continue logging everything. Maybe ill start of with the simply things like walking! Hopefully i don't lose hope this time!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The first and most important thing for me is to not be miserable.

* Not make my deficit so large that I feel hungry and deprived.
    * Not to force myself into eating times that are uncomfortable for me just because it worked for someone else.
    * Not to eat foods I don't like because they are "healthy"
    * Not to give up foods I really love because they are not "healthy"
    * Not to make lifestyle or diet changes that I don't think I can continue once the weight is gone
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Don't fall for fat loss schemes. Don't make yourself suffer the loss of foods you like. Measure and weigh everything you eat. Use a scale to know exactly what you are eating. Figure out your total calorie burn and get into a modest deficit. I like to stay around 20% when I'm cutting. You will lose weight, give yourself some time.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would agree with logging. You could try logging as you would eat normally then look at where you can make substitutions. Hot drinks were an eye opener for me - I've swapped my coffee with milk and sugar for herbal tea or coffee with milk and sweetener, it all adds up. Small changes initially.
    Scales were another wake up call - what I thought was a portion vs an actual portion were very different things!
    Best of luck to you
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So i want to lose 50lbs. Ive tried losing weight many times. Ive tried eating better or home workouts but i find i lose my motivation. Maybe im doing something wrong i dont know. Can anyone tell me what the VERY first thing they did to kick start their weight loss was? Or healthy foods/good exersise to target stomach and back fat? I currently am 205lbs!

I had joined MFP, back in.. 2011/2012 determined to lose weight. Then I gave up. Life got in the way. I didn't have time to workout. I lived with my family and believed they didn't support my weight loss journey. No gym membership. I think I rejoined back in 2013, and same thing; I didn't have time.

This past December, I was looking at photos of myself and realized that I was on the path of pre-diabetes. My family's medical history is chock-full of high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. All signs that point down the road to unhealthiness. I realized that's not what I wanted to do. I wanted to be healthy! Something just clicked and I started logging. I first started by measuring out my food into cups, but quickly realized that I needed a food scale (thanks to the MFP community). I joined some challenges here on MFP that pushed me to try new exercises. My boyfriend dragged me away from the elliptical and introduced me to weightlifting (and now I lift 6 days a week -- I can't get enough of how empowering it feels)

Since January, I've lost about 16% body fat (I'm almost in the normal range and I can't even believe it), about 28lbs off my body, and countless inches. I'm only halfway to the goal my doctor has set for me, but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's a lifestyle change. I'll still go out and get pizza, or visit the new gourmet doughnut shop down the road from me (seriously -- they have coffee milk doughnuts, I just... my mouth waters). I track my macronutrients. I've changed how I see food, and trust me, I was a bored eater. I used to just sit with a box of cookies or pint of ice cream and finish it with ease because I was bored.

Find what motivates you, and you'll stick with it. Accurately log. Hold yourself accountable even on those days when you binge. We all have them. Food scales to weigh your food and show you just how much you are eating. Drink plenty of water. Know that even if the weight scale doesn't move, you may be improving in other ways (faster run times, holding a plank for longer, losing inches off your body, etc). It's a journey, and you can do it.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot guys, I'm going to try and continue logging everything. Maybe ill start of with the simply things like walking! Hopefully i don't lose hope this time!

That sounds like a great plan.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Start off by logging everything you eat and getting in to the habit of doing this! :)
    Your motivation will come from within. How bad do you want to reach your goal? Let this be your motivation.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Set reasonable goals and don't try to lose too fast. We all want to see 10 or more pounds a month. I am losing 5 pounds a month and feel like I can eat this way forever. My tastes have changed. Now I choose healthier things automatically and don't feel like I've been cheated out of anything. Log everything you eat even if you only had a bite. Move whenever you can. Start with a small goal. I started with 6000 steps and the first few months I only hit it here and there. Now I am at 8000 and hit it most days. Probably time to bump it up to 10000 where most people start, lol. I've lost 57 pounds and have 35 to go. It works. Take your time so you can continue. If you are miserable you won't last with it.