New Runner Looking for Support

Options
Hi all!

I have recently started running. I do 2 weekday runs of about 3.3 miles each and a longer weekend run (I did 7 miles on Saturday). Does anyone have any recommendation for a good running FB page/group. Just looking for somewhere to chat, get ideas and advice, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• chiqui88chiqui
    chiqui88chiqui Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm just getting back into running, trying to get through a 10km program (10km is the goal at the end, I'm not running that yet!) I really like "Run like a girl" on Facebook, they're always posting amazing pics and good tips... Good luck!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I would recommend following a program. Depending on how recent "recently" is, 7 miles is quite the run. Getting evaluated by a good running coach (talk to a local high school coach perhaps) for running form is very beneficial. You can do a lot of damage if you start logging miles with bad form.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Welcome to running!! Just make sure you don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week.

For social aspects, you might see if there are any local running groups in your area. You can find them through internet search or your local specialty running stores. There's one in my area that does a weekly 4 mile run and meets for food and drinks afterwards.

You also might want to look into doing some races. You can start with a 5K and go from there. I find the racing aspect keeps me motivated and I'm constantly working toward new goals instead of just running for exercise. Plus, they are super fun!! :smiley:

Have fun!!
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There is a monthly running thread in the Challenge section of MFP that is a great place for you to look!
  • mommastains
    mommastains Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a new runner, currently training for Disney's Princess Half Marathon in Feb.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
  • hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had been running just for myself for a couple years but didn't start running competitively until just this spring. Finding and sticking to a plan I liked has been paramount to my success in not only completing the races, but doing quite well in my age group, especially given my relative inexperience. I've had success following the fastest 5K program from Women's Running Magazine's website: http://womensrunning.competitor.com/ and I'm in week 9 of 12 of the fastest 10K. I find these programs to vary enough day to day to not get monotonous, and I can definitely feel myself improving. Just remember not to increase your distance too much too soon--a general rule is 10% or less more to your mileage each week--so that you don't increase your risk of injury. Good luck and let me know if you pick one of their programs!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    There are several groups here: Long distance runners; 5K walkers and runners ; Half marathon Training Group. These may fit your "Just looking for somewhere to chat, get ideas and advice, etc."
  • TaraKHRab
    TaraKHRab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I have been very conservative with increasing my mileage as I ended up in physical therapy at the beginning of the year due to jumping in too quickly.

I have a couple of 5ks coming up and a 10K on Thanksgiving. I will definitely check out the groups you all listed!
  • hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    TaraKHRab wrote: »
    I have a couple of 5ks coming up and a 10K on Thanksgiving. I will definitely check out the groups you all listed!
    Good luck with your races!