SiriusXM?

Options
km8907
km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
Anyone have it? What plan did you get and do you think it's worth the money?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We have it in my wife's Jeep...no idea what the plan is. It's worth it for us as it is very easy to get out of traditional radio range driving in New Mexico. The Jeep is also the road tripper so it comes in handy there as well. We also do a lot of camping in the mountains where traditional radio won't come through...so handy there as well.

We also have a receiver that we can use in the house with the subscription, but we rarely do...
  • _Sugar_interrupted
    Options
    I got a free 3 month trial when I bought my car- it was a raging disappointment.

Clarity was garbage- and the selection wasn't anything close to what I thought it would me.

I have Apple Music & store all my music in the cloud, if I'm going on a road trip I'll download a few albums to my phone and use them.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I used to have it. I canceled it and now I just bluetooth my phone to my radio and stream Pandora. It really doesn't use as much data as I thought it would.
  • Domino_75
    Domino_75 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it. We travel a lot and get bad reception from local radio, so it's definitely worth it to me.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have it. Have had it since 2006. I drive a lot for work so I couldn't imagine not having it. I just hate having to call every time my "promotional" plan is up to renegotiate. I just had to yesterday. I did the 6 month plan for 2 cars for $108 (that was taxes and fees). Ends up being about $9/month/car
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I'll check out Pandora too, but I'm tech illiterate so have no idea how to even set any of it up. Also have very limited data.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Are you sirius right now? Just use pandora or spotify.

What if there's no service? You can travel huge swaths of the southwest US with 0g and maybe one bar on your phone.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I got a lifetime subscription to Sirius a long time ago. I'll admit, it's not as great for music if you have a widely varying taste but the selections are OK. I mainly listen to news and sports on it but pop on the some music when I'm in the mood. The good thing is that it categorizes the music types so I can easily choose the type of music I want to listen to at any given moment. However, you only get what the radio providers want to play, which leaves out a lot of music that you might like but isn't what radio providers think is good or top of the charts at the time. I'm able to play it in my office so that's a benefit, but I can do that with Pandora on WiFi too. Apps like Pandora or Spotify may give you more of what you want, so if you have a USB/Bluetooth connection to your car audio, that might work better for you if you aren't to concerned about data usage. Good thing about Sirius though is that it is satellite and you'll typically get what you want no matter where you are, except in places with a lot of overhead coverage like trees and bridges or tunnels that block the signal.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I got a free 3 month trial when I bought my car- it was a raging disappointment.

Clarity was garbage- and the selection wasn't anything close to what I thought it would me.

I have Apple Music & store all my music in the cloud, if I'm going on a road trip I'll download a few albums to my phone and use them.

Yeah, the free trial is only a handful of pre-selected stations. I, too, was disappointed.

However, my husband has had it for a long time so we added my car to the account. I don't know what plan we have, but it's $40/month. It was nice to have when we drove across the country twice.
  • cwolfman13
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What if there's no service? You can travel huge swaths of the southwest US with 0g and maybe one bar on your phone.

You should switch to Verizon...it's the nations most reliable network.

Can you hear me now?

Lol...I am on Verizon for that very reason...other providers have way more dead zones...Sprint won't even work from my office which is just on the outskirts of Albuquerque...but this is still the desert southwest we're talking about...plenty of dead space out there regardless of carrier.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It was pretty cool 10 years ago, before streaming services
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Yeah, the free trial is only a handful of pre-selected stations. I, too, was disappointed.

However, my husband has had it for a long time so we added my car to the account. I don't know what plan we have, but it's $40/month. It was nice to have when we drove across the country twice.

$40/month for 2 cars is a lot. Tell him call and threaten to cancel and they will give him some promotional price. I have to do it every 6months-1yr depending on what plan I go with.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Can you hear me now?

Lol...I am on Verizon for that very reason...other providers have way more dead zones...Sprint won't even work from my office which is just on the outskirts of Albuquerque...but this is still the desert southwest we're talking about...plenty of dead space out there regardless of carrier.

I would never travel anywhere that doesn't have cell phone service...because deliverance.

But this...

new-mexico-1.jpg

is basically my back yard...
  • cwolfman13
    edited September 2016
    Options

Can you hear me now?

I would never travel anywhere that doesn't have cell phone service...because deliverance.

But this...

new-mexico-1.jpg

is basically my back yard...

with a view like that...you hardly need music to ruin the tranquility and beauty that surrounds you. Be one with nature.

True when we're out in it...driving for hours to go a couple hundred miles though...sometimes you need a little something.

locations_albuquerque.png

No biggie in the city though...

abq_sky_night_800w.jpg

albuquerque-skyline.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    total_e wrote: »
    How does Pandora in the car work? Does it just use your data plan on your phone?

It doesn't really use that much data. We use it quite a bit as well.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    When I've driven different cars (not mine, family) that had it over 8 years I found buildings and trees can block the signal. But newer cars have better reception then older cars these days. I wouldn't pay for it but I don't spend enough time in my car to justify it. I avoid using my data plan, so streaming anything isn't an option. It's better than regular radio.

My personal suggestion, download music or podcasts and listen to that in your car.