Couch to 5k and...joint problems?

I started doing Couch to 5k recently and I'm on week 4. I've been following it as directed, only run 3 times per week, not skipping weeks or anything. Though when I finished week 3 last Saturday, I noticed my joints had randomly started aching as soon as I got on the treadmill. I still finished the run since the pain wasn't really terrible, but I decided to wait until today (Tuesday) to begin week 4 and allow my joints to heal a little.

But when I got on the treadmill this morning, I still had join pain. It was worse today but I stupidly kept running. I was on the first 5-minute stint when my shoulder gave out, then the pain extended to my neck and I stopped completely because I couldn't handle it.

I'm not even overweight or anything, about 150 lbs at 5'8". I'm also 19 so it isn't like old age is my problem. I'm really confused what destroyed my joints and also worried about my progress. I think I should take a week or two off to heal, but would I have to start over the whole program? I don't know...

Replies

• fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    I'd get your shoes and form looked at. Also, are you running too fast? Sounds a little like strain, possibly breathing too hard while running. Depends on which joints too.

Ask a doc.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Take the time off, then decide at that time where you need to restart. Even if you have to backtrack a couple weeks, you have lots of time. You're only 19. You can still finish it by your 20th birthday!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    See a physio
  • skippersolo
    skippersolo Posts: 2 Member
    I'd get your shoes and form looked at. Also, are you running too fast? Sounds a little like strain, possibly breathing too hard while running. Depends on which joints too.

It's mostly in my knees and ankles, and I've been running 5mph on a treadmill. I just bought a new pair of shoes that aren't for running that are slightly uncomfortable to walk in because of hard leather insoles, maybe it's those?
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Take the time off, then decide at that time where you need to restart. Even if you have to backtrack a couple weeks, you have lots of time. You're only 19. You can still finish it by your 20th birthday!!

Ok, maybe I'll start at week 2 instead of square one.
    See a physio

I will if the pain doesn't stop after a week, I'm beginning to think it's my new shoes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you're going to run, you need proper running shoes...which means you should also be fit at a running store so that they can analyze your gait to see if you pronate, are neutral, or supinate and can then provide you with the proper shoe based on that. Running without proper foot wear can/will jack you up.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    1. It could be the shoes, OR
    2. Are you also weight training? I had knee pain, I mentioned it to my doc, she told me to start doing lower body work, specifically quads and hamstrings. I hate Leg Day, but since I've been doing it the knee pain is basically gone.

Ultimately, seeing a doc yourself is never a bad idea.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Oh gosh. If I'd started running at 5miles an hour on a treadmill at the beginning, I'd have done myself in. Especially without running shoes. I'd have been injured. A lot.

I started at 3-3.5 miles an hour. I run around 5mph on a treadmill now - 8 months later - but can run for 1.5 hours. Sloooooow down. Your body has to get used to running gently before many of us can pick it up a bit.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    I just bought a new pair of shoes that aren't for running that are slightly uncomfortable to walk in because of hard leather insoles, maybe it's those?

Get a pair of proper running shoes.

A gait assessment might help, but I'm not particularly an advocate unless you have specific issues. This is just wholly inappropriate shoes.
  • diana5vg
    diana5vg Posts: 1 Member
    The treadmill does that, try icing the area! Should help. Also if you take glucosomine vitamin pills, those are for your joints. They should help strengthen them!
  • annamommy1965
    annamommy1965 Posts: 6 Member
    I find slowing my speed and increasing my cadence helps me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Maybe do some walking rather than c25k for a while, preferably outside. If you are getting shoulder pain you are clearly tensing up, which could be to do with the shoes, your gait, or form.

If it's still a problem with other forms of exercise, see a doctor.