how many inches?

Options
MelL1205
MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
I know if varies per person, but I just want some general ideas. How much weight did you lose and how many inches? I'm down 10 pounds and only lost about 1/2inch of my waist, hips, and thighs. Nothing off my arms. A few of my friends told me this seems quite slow. So, I was wondering how much success you all had with losing inches and how many pounds you lost before it was a significant difference! Also, tell me your height too... please. I'm 5'6" and am just hoping for a general idea...

Thanks!

Replies

• johnnythebaptist
    Options
    I have loss a total of 61 pounds and I have loss 2" in neck 5" in waist and 5" in hips!!!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Those first few pounds may have just been water so that may be why you don't see it in inches yet. You'll lose water from your muscles, organs, etc. first. Or it could be fat from areas you don't measure like your fingers, feet, ankles, face, etc.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    At 8 lbs. gone I've lost about one full inch at my waist, but I'm a guy so all my fat is at my waist. A half inch in 3 places sounds about right. You're making great progress towards your goal. Keep it up!
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Hello! I'm about 5'4.5 or 5'5'' (closer) and am currently 149.8 lbs. At one point I weighted 217 and was only 2 pant sizes bigger. I am very shapely and even at my biggest very hourglass shaped. for me, about 1/2 '' from each thigh, 1/2 from each arm or so. and about 3 off high waist, and 3.5 off low waist, my boobs went down a full cup size! and about 3 off my hips. I noticed my feet seem slimer too! It weird but it may be the same way for you too, it just might be coming off places you aren't checking like chest, feet, calfs, wrists etc. Take care and feel free to add me <33
  • txgator
    txgator Posts: 65
    Options
    I have lost
    3 1/2 inches in waist
    3 1/2 inches in chest
    1 inch in hips

My question is, I have seen people who have written just, "I have lost 8 inches" do they add up total inches or do I assume they mean 8" in waist?
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, 5ft 4" I've lost 9lbs,and 1" Thigh, 0.5" hips,4"Stomach(!!!), 0.5 Ribcage . I've been at a plateau for 5 weeks with gaining muscle. But just overcame that and now back on track. Keep up the good work!
  • MelL1205
    Options
    Those first few pounds may have just been water so that may be why you don't see it in inches yet. You'll lose water from your muscles, organs, etc. first. Or it could be fat from areas you don't measure like your fingers, feet, ankles, face, etc.

the 10 pounds was not a quick loss, it is not water weight. but thanks for not even coming close to answering the question.
  • MelL1205
    Options
    I'm 23, 5ft 4" I've lost 9lbs,and 1" Thigh, 0.5" hips,4"Stomach(!!!), 0.5 Ribcage . I've been at a plateau for 5 weeks with gaining muscle. But just overcame that and now back on track. Keep up the good work!

thanks! you too!
  • MelL1205
    Options
    Hello! I'm about 5'4.5 or 5'5'' (closer) and am currently 149.8 lbs. At one point I weighted 217 and was only 2 pant sizes bigger. I am very shapely and even at my biggest very hourglass shaped. for me, about 1/2 '' from each thigh, 1/2 from each arm or so. and about 3 off high waist, and 3.5 off low waist, my boobs went down a full cup size! and about 3 off my hips. I noticed my feet seem slimer too! It weird but it may be the same way for you too, it just might be coming off places you aren't checking like chest, feet, calfs, wrists etc. Take care and feel free to add me <33

thanks for your reply. this is exactly the info i'm looking for. my goal is 150, so this gives me a good reference too! thanks!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    52 Lbs:

Waist: 6"
    Hips: 11"
    Arms: 3"
    Thighs: 3"
    Chest: 7"
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've lost 21 lbs.... I'm not sure where I was honestly at 10 lbs down but in 21 lbs I am down 1 pants size....aggravated that it's not more... but ohh well..guess that takes time...here are my inches as of 06/27, I will measure again next week... but from here

................04/13/11.........6/27/11......total lost
    waist........... 41.................37....................4
    hips.............49.................44.....................5
    arm .............13.................12.....................1
    thigh............25..................22....................3
    calf...............17.................16.5.................0.5
    Bust .............45.................39.....................6
    Total ............190.............170.5................19.5 inches total!! :)

Are you taking before and after pictures? I think thats where I noticed mine the most, wasn't so much in my clothes although I did notice it there, but even in the first 10 lbs I noticed it in my boobs and in my face... everyone that sees me comments that my face loooks so different...maybe start taking progress pics, front, side, back, and then a closeup of your face, and then look when you get another 10 lbs down and see where you're at... Hope this helps! don't get discouraged honey you are losing! It may take longer than you want it to, and it may get really frustrating but you are losing and doing great!!!!
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and I have lost 72 pounds. Three inches off of my arms, ten inches off of my waist, and seven inches off of my hips. I do a lot of full body work outs to help tone my body, which if what I contribute to the reason I have lost so many inches. A lot of these exercises are elliptical machine and swimming. If it still concerns you about your inches, and mostly about your arms, do strength exercises that are design to tone troubled areas. They do not have to be with weights if you do not want them too, but try sit ups or curl ups, and doing so push ups. About 20 to 25 curl ups twice a day, and 55 push ups twice a day, resting for one day a week. See if you notice any difference.
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and I have lost 72 pounds. Three inches off of my arms, ten inches off of my waist, and seven inches off of my hips. I do a lot of full body work outs to help tone my body, which if what I contribute to the reason I have lost so many inches. A lot of these exercises are elliptical machine and swimming. If it still concerns you about your inches, and mostly about your arms, do strength exercises that are design to tone troubled areas. They do not have to be with weights if you do not want them too, but try sit ups or curl ups, and doing so push ups. About 20 to 25 curl ups twice a day, and 55 push ups twice a day, resting for one day a week. See if you notice any difference.

wow totally impressed haha... I can't do 15 pushups hardly much less 55 twice a day!! That's awesome! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    All total, I've lost 28 pounds, 4 inches from my waist, 5 from my hips and one from my neck.

In the last ten pounds, I've lost 2 from my waist, 2 from my hips and a half inch from my neck... just about the same as the first 18 pounds. So the closer I got to my goal, the more difference in inches each pound made.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Lost 25 pounds.
    Lost 6 inches from the waist.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options

the 10 pounds was not a quick loss, it is not water weight. but thanks for not even coming close to answering the question.

Water weight does not have to be quick and it could be muscle loss too. Me telling you how many inches I've lost isn't going to help you! Only you understanding why you don't see the loss will help you!
  • MelL1205
    Options

Water weight does not have to be quick and it could be muscle loss too. Me telling you how many inches I've lost isn't going to help you! Only you understanding why you don't see the loss will help you!

I know it's not going to help me. I was looking for a general idea. Motivation perhaps. Clearly you couldn't provide that. I've been changing my lifestyle for years. Trust me when I say it's not just water weight. I've been a member of MFP for just a few months longer than you (which... is quite a long time). I've read just as much information as you. Just, I've been the unlucky 21 year old girl who had 2 surgeries during that time and her meds (that i have to take for the rest of my life) cause consistent weight gain. No. It's not water weight. Thanks anyway.
  • MelL1205
    Options
    All total, I've lost 28 pounds, 4 inches from my waist, 5 from my hips and one from my neck.

In the last ten pounds, I've lost 2 from my waist, 2 from my hips and a half inch from my neck... just about the same as the first 18 pounds. So the closer I got to my goal, the more difference in inches each pound made.

wow! great job. thanks for responding. :-)
  • MelL1205
    Options
    I've lost 21 lbs.... I'm not sure where I was honestly at 10 lbs down but in 21 lbs I am down 1 pants size....aggravated that it's not more... but ohh well..guess that takes time...here are my inches as of 06/27, I will measure again next week... but from here

................04/13/11.........6/27/11......total lost
    waist........... 41.................37....................4
    hips.............49.................44.....................5
    arm .............13.................12.....................1
    thigh............25..................22....................3
    calf...............17.................16.5.................0.5
    Bust .............45.................39.....................6
    Total ............190.............170.5................19.5 inches total!! :)

Are you taking before and after pictures? I think thats where I noticed mine the most, wasn't so much in my clothes although I did notice it there, but even in the first 10 lbs I noticed it in my boobs and in my face... everyone that sees me comments that my face loooks so different...maybe start taking progress pics, front, side, back, and then a closeup of your face, and then look when you get another 10 lbs down and see where you're at... Hope this helps! don't get discouraged honey you are losing! It may take longer than you want it to, and it may get really frustrating but you are losing and doing great!!!!

thanks for all of that! so helpful. :-) Great work so far!
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options

wow totally impressed haha... I can't do 15 pushups hardly much less 55 twice a day!! That's awesome! :)

Start out doing girl push ups on your knees and let your arms build up strength, do 25 twice a day for a month, and than do 55 twice a day for two months. On your third month, stop doing regular girl push ups and do normal push ups doing 55 twice a day.