STUCK NOT LOSING WEIGHT

Options
WHEN I FIRST STARTED MY EXERCISE'S I WOULD BE LOOSING 10-15 POUNDS A MONTH! NOW I AM ONLY LOOSING 2-5 POUNDS A MONTH! I AM STIOLL EATING THE WAY I WAS SINCE THE BEGINNING AND I AM STILL DOING A BUNCH OF WORKOUTS! I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO TO SHED THE POUNDS FASTER?

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I cant see your food diary, so I am unable to help. Open it up.
  • jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    as you get smaller, weight comes off much slower. For example, I'm around 130 right now and it took almost 5 weeks for me to lose 1 pound!! It's frustrating, but it's kind of just the way it is. Switch up your workouts more often if you can and check your measurements frequently - perhaps you are losing inches but now pounds. Stick with it, it will come off!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public so it is hard to help you. Also, give us more info. How heavy are you currently? What is your goal weight?
  • Fitzgeraldguy
    Options
    I know what you mean. Before I found this site I went from 267 to 241 in one month, but I was unable to pass the 241 mark for about two weeks...until this morning 240.2 :)

My point is this, give it time...switch your workout a bit, do different machines, different settings and times etc.

Best.
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Sounds like 5 pounds a month is a typical weight loss - usually 1-2 pounds a month, from what I've read, is typical. I can understand the frustration if you were losing more at first.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    When you first start, weight is going to come off at a much faster rate. Losing 2-5 lbs a month is actually healthy and I wouldn't worry about it.
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The closer to your normal weight you get the harder it will be to lose weight. Try eating more of your exercise calories so your body doesnt try and eat your lean muscles. .
  • enana88
    enana88 Posts: 17
    Options
    thanks u guys :wink:

i started weighing 179 and now i am 142! and that's what's making me get frustrated because when i was starting i was shedding off pounds so fast it was so exciting for me and now they're coming off so slow it's making me feel less motivated :indifferent:
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    Thanks for the add...

I think your root problem is that you aren't eating enough. You are rarely even eating 1200 a day. More time than not, you are hovering in the 1000 calorie area. Plus, you are working out, so some days, you are netting negative calories.

This can be a HUGE problem, if not now, down the road in general in reference to nutrition.

My recommendation is to try eating 1200-1400 calories everyday. You might see more movement. Personally, I like to NET 1200, reason being you need at least that much for your body to function properly and also get in all the necessary nutrients. If I workout, which is common as I'm a tennis player, I have to eat 2000+ calories in order to NET 1200.

You are lighter than me, so you are probably not going to see the scale going down much faster than it currently is. My advice will probably give you a healthier lifestyle as well as possibly tone your muscle, which looks awesome on a nice slim body ;)

Have you tried taking measurements weekly instead of only looking at the scale number? This has helped me A LOT. Some weigh ins, I dont see any movement, however, when I take my measurements, I'll have lost a lot of inches.
  • enana88
    Options
    yeah i've noticed that i rarely eat 1200 calories a day but the thing is that i dont get as hungry. I think it's because i fill myself up with veggies and fruits and then i start to workout and then i dont eat after my workouts.

I'll try measuring myself because even though the scale doesn't go down as much somedays i do feel lighter than others and maybe the measurements will help me get motivated again! :happy:
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    Also, maybe you should add a protein shake into your diet?

I drink Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey once or twice a day.
    130 calories
    24 grams of protein

This could/would be good for you to get your calories up if you dont have much of an appetite. Ive also found I can substitute the protein powder in many flour recipes (like pancakes) so it can be used in food prep and as a drink. Just a thought.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    yeah i've noticed that i rarely eat 1200 calories a day but the thing is that i dont get as hungry. I think it's because i fill myself up with veggies and fruits and then i start to workout and then i dont eat after my workouts.

I'll try measuring myself because even though the scale doesn't go down as much somedays i do feel lighter than others and maybe the measurements will help me get motivated again! :happy:

Not being able to see your diary I can't comment on the types of food your are eating, but if aimssc is correct on the numbers you need to eat more. Yes you will lose weight at such a huge caloric deficit but a lot of it will be muscle and other tissues you need to be healthy and strong and to maintain the weight loss when you stop eating at a caloric deficit. Even though you are not hungry you need to use your mind to tell yourself you need to fuel your body. Stop eating any diet food (low cal, low fat, etc) and focus and you seem to be on veggies, meats and the like. Also don't forget healthy fats like olive oil and others like it and various nuts. Your body needs those fats and as long as your watch your portions so you keep your calories in line, they are just fine to eat and can quickly raise the number of calories you consume in a day.

As for your weight loss 1-2 pounds a week is a good healthy loss. Also stop looking at the scale and get a measuring tape. I have not lost a lot on weight in the last month, but continue to lose inches.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Not being able to see your diary I can't comment on the types of food your are eating, but if aimssc is correct on the numbers you need to eat more. Yes you will lose weight at such a huge caloric deficit but a lot of it will be muscle and other tissues you need to be healthy and strong and to maintain the weight loss when you stop eating at a caloric deficit. Even though you are not hungry you need to use your mind to tell yourself you need to fuel your body. Stop eating any diet food (low cal, low fat, etc) and focus and you seem to be on veggies, meats and the like. Also don't forget healthy fats like olive oil and others like it and various nuts. Your body needs those fats and as long as your watch your portions so you keep your calories in line, they are just fine to eat and can quickly raise the number of calories you consume in a day.

As for your weight loss 1-2 pounds a week is a good healthy loss. Also stop looking at the scale and get a measuring tape. I have not lost a lot on weight in the last month, but continue to lose inches.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Try resetting your goals. It still could be set for your 170 pound body when you are 140. Also, when you are that small, it will come off more slowly and that's ok. They say this is a marathon not a sprint.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Are you doing strength training? Your goal might not be at whatever lb you choose, you may not look like how you woul d want too still. so start with muscle training to get your shape in gear.
  • enana88
    Options
    Also, maybe you should add a protein shake into your diet?

I drink Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey once or twice a day.
    130 calories
    24 grams of protein

This could/would be good for you to get your calories up if you dont have much of an appetite. Ive also found I can substitute the protein powder in many flour recipes (like pancakes) so it can be used in food prep and as a drink. Just a thought.

That's a good idea! I'll look into that to see wherei can buy it! Thanks :smile:
  • enana88
    Options

Yeah i know i should be eating more but it's difficult to eat 1200 calories! there are days when i do achieve those calories and there are others were i am under! i guess it just depends on the type of day im having! but i do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.

And regarding the fats you mentioned i eat almonds and flax seeds! theyre my favorite!

Thanks for your input i really appreciate it :smile:
  • enana88
    Options
    Try resetting your goals. It still could be set for your 170 pound body when you are 140. Also, when you are that small, it will come off more slowly and that's ok. They say this is a marathon not a sprint.

Doesn't it do it automatically? I'll check my settings though. I know it's suppose to be like a marathon and not like a sprint but it's just that im anxious to lose the last pounds im aiming for :wink:
  • enana88
    Options
    Are you doing strength training? Your goal might not be at whatever lb you choose, you may not look like how you woul d want too still. so start with muscle training to get your shape in gear.

No, i don'tdo strength training. What kind should i be doing?
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Doesn't it do it automatically? I'll check my settings though. I know it's suppose to be like a marathon and not like a sprint but it's just that im anxious to lose the last pounds im aiming for :wink:
    Nope it doesn't automatically reset. Weird huh? When you bring up your goals it will put the number in the box for you but you have to click the button.