How many people revert

Options
Mveler
Mveler Posts: 274 Member
I am ready for this.. More ready than I have ever been for any one thing. I am enjoying the foods as I have always enjoyed the veggies and such.

Often times you hear about the "fad" or "super fast" diets actually ending in you gaining it back and sometimes more.

Has that happened through these kind of changes. I mean if we are busting our *kitten* to eat right and change our lifestyles, how likely is it that we would go back to our old ways? (Assuming we make it to our goal weight , mine should take a year to achieve)

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on wether or not you address the psychological issues you have with food. If you don't figure out why you're overeating to begin with then once you've reached your goal weight, you will more than likely gain the weight back. For me, I reached my goal weight and then immediately put 10 pounds back on. At that point I realized that I had to figure out why I allowed that to happen. Once I did that, I dropped the10 pounds and kept it off.
  • mummyflippers
    Options
    I have yo-yoed more times than I care to remember. I have - on more than one occasion - lost around 70lb and then put it all back on again just a few months later!

This time I'm working on my mindset and dealing with my emotional issues and food - that, for me, is what is going to make the difference and help me keep the weight off. I hope!

Louise x
  • mummyflippers
    Options
    I think it really depends on wether or not you address the psychological issues you have with food. If you don't figure out why you're overeating to begin with then once you've reached your goal weight, you will more than likely gain the weight back. For me, I reached my goal weight and then immediately put 10 pounds back on. At that point I realized that I had to figure out why I allowed that to happen. Once I did that, I dropped the10 pounds and kept it off.

Exactly!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I know the times I reverted back were times I didn't lose weight the right way. I didn't eat enough, so I was tired and cranky all the time, and had really slow progress. I mistakenly thought the only way to lose more weight would be to eat even less, and knew I couldn't do that. So I gave up.

This time, it wasn't about weight loss for me, it was about fitness and being able to run a 5k. A personal challenge. I'm up to doing a 10k now, and have never felt deprived or tired or cranky. At least not from the food I'm eating or not eating. :wink:

PLUS, having the community here is wonderful. Having other people to cheer you on, for you to cheer on... it's just fantastic. :heart:

I'm pretty much at my goal, but I have no desire to "stop" or "go back." I enjoy posting here. I enjoy logging my food and exercise (Monday - Friday only though... I take the weekends off from thinking about it, but I'm still active). Logging has become it's own personal challenge in a way. Almost like a math puzzle... trying to eat as much good stuff as possible and get the right nutrients.
  • itsirk1978
    itsirk1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you were dieting you would be more likely to revert... But you said one thing in your post that rings true to me... it is a lifestyle change. A diet is a fad, and is something that is only done for a while. It sounds like you are of the mindset that you are changing everything.

My mother in law always says it takes 21 days to create a new habit. If you are going to be at this for a year before you get to your goal you will have far surpassed the "habit" stage.

With as far as I have come my worry now is maintaining, and i have come to the conclusion that I will probably not stop logging my food and exercise when I hit my goal so that I can determine how I am doing with the maintenance. It took me months to figure out how and actually loose the weight, I would hate to not work just as hard to maintain the weight and have it all go down the tubes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are going to be days when you may eat more than you are allowed, or you may skip a workout, and those are ok. Do not feel guilty or bad, just remember that tomorrow is a new day and as long as your start with a fresh outlook and determination you will do great!!

Good Luck!! It sounds like you are on the right track!! :)
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the changes you make need to be sustainable, one of the main reasons why people put back on weight after they finish a fad diet is because its not something you can maintain and keep up. For that reason I try to keep my food and exercise levels at something I'm comfortable with long term. I was maintaining between 165-170 (down from about 225) for about 1.5 yrs before finding MFP and deciding to try and loose more. Its been a slow process for me but I'm also quite comfortable with the lifestyle changes I've made and I don't think I'll have a problem maintaining them.
  • Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I don't see myself reverting and I am not approaching this as a diet. I am making real changes here.

One of my biggest feat's has been soda pop. I now drink more water (or anything for that matter) than I have in my entire life. I have always been one to "nurse" a drink for 4-5 hours. Drinking about about 60 oz of anything in a day. Now I actually like and prefer the water. When given the choice, I chose water 85% of the time. This is amazing for me. But I find I feel fulfilled and my thirst is quenched.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I think something important to changing your lifestyle is to acknowledge your triggers. What makes you fall back??

For me it's stress. The moment I feel the stress, I reach for processed fatty foods.

Not this time. This time I'm allowing myself to feel the stress, to acknowledge that it's real and then I talk to my family and friends to help alleviate some of that instead of reaching for cupcakes or cookies.

Finding what tastes good and what's good for you works but also knowing what makes you fall back on your old ways really helps too. That way you can prepare and work through it without falling off.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    YOu got to keep active. so finding exercises that you can enjoy and do when you area fit will keep you where you want to be. examples are swimming, running, biking, walking or joining a sport or different sports through out the seasons.
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I now drink more water (or anything for that matter) than I have in my entire life. I have always been one to "nurse" a drink for 4-5 hours. Drinking about about 60 oz of anything in a day. Now I actually like and prefer the water. When given the choice, I chose water 85% of the time. This is amazing for me. But I find I feel fulfilled and my thirst is quenched.

I have gotten to be a huge fan of water too! I still love coke but don't need it to be more than a sometimes snack. Water really feels good and quenches thirst :D
  • dvigeant
    dvigeant Posts: 10
    Options
    Bravo!!
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you were dieting you would be more likely to revert... But you said one thing in your post that rings true to me... it is a lifestyle change. A diet is a fad, and is something that is only done for a while. It sounds like you are of the mindset that you are changing everything.

My mother in law always says it takes 21 days to create a new habit. If you are going to be at this for a year before you get to your goal you will have far surpassed the "habit" stage.

With as far as I have come my worry now is maintaining, and i have come to the conclusion that I will probably not stop logging my food and exercise when I hit my goal so that I can determine how I am doing with the maintenance. It took me months to figure out how and actually loose the weight, I would hate to not work just as hard to maintain the weight and have it all go down the tubes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are going to be days when you may eat more than you are allowed, or you may skip a workout, and those are ok. Do not feel guilty or bad, just remember that tomorrow is a new day and as long as your start with a fresh outlook and determination you will do great!!

Good Luck!! It sounds like you are on the right track!! :)

Very well put! Couldn't agree more. :D