Healthy weight gain for skinny runner girl

Options
Hey, I'm new to MFP, and was hoping to use it in order to gain back a few pounds. I am 5' 3" and weigh 90 lbs. During the last few months, I've seriously been doing a lot of running and I wasn't eating quite enough calories to maintain my previous weight (which wasn't even overweight to begin with). So now I'm trying to get back into the hundred lbs range without the new weight just going to my hips. I plan on eating 3 main meals daily with 3 mini meals in between them. But I need some help as far as what my exercise plan should be. I'm first and foremost a runner and don't want to lose my endurance or speed, but I know that I'll need to incorporate some weight bearing exercises into my routine to make sure the added pounds distribute favorably and to help me gain muscle mass. Any ideas on best exercises for this??

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Weight training. do you have weights? Do you want to go to the gym or do it at home? Workout dvds good for you? 30 day shred help me build some arm and leg muscle out. Doing ripped in 30 now it should do the same. Running is good you just need to feed your body the right fuel.

eat nuts, hummus, olive oil on your food, pasta, corn, beans, meats. Pick up some protein powder and make some delicious smoothies that can be very high in cals. or the bars.
  • NickAmrine
    NickAmrine Posts: 34
    Options
    cut down on your running and high intensity cardio, you won't be able to gain any weight when you run a lot
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chantal's advise. I am a runner although not as thin as you and I believe that you can still put on weight and run. You just need to figure out your base calories to maintain and make sure that you eat all of your exercise calories back on PLUS more. 500 more per day over your maintenance base should net you a pound per week but you'll need to figure out what that base is and no matter how far you run you must eat back all those calories plus the extra. As far as distribution, yes the weights and strength training will need to be counted on for that.

Of course less running will make it easier for you to put on the weight but if its part of your routine, I personally wouldn't want to give that up.
  • Rachael93
    Rachael93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I go to the Body Conditioning/Abs classes or Sculpt classes offered by the YMCA 2 or 3 times a week, would that be a good way to get my strength training in, or is it imperative that I hit the weight room and machines?