Dr. Oz And Fitness Trainer Tricks of the Trade

Options
Hey everyone!

Really loving the boards and reading what's working/not working for people.

I was at the gym and worked out with a trainer (free trial with my gym!) and learned somethings I thought I'd pass on from a fitness professional...

SO

Everyone pretty much knows the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning before you've inhaled anything. Apparently according to my trainer (and Dr Oz who was just on my TV haha) the best time is 6:30 am. Ugh to some of us who don't have to be up so early but there ya go. Best time to weigh yourself. I've been getting discouraged that I can't seem to break through my plateau and just for my own experience have experimented weighing myself at different times of day; and there is HUGE differences. So, the best way to do it is really early in the morning just so you don't self harm!

Best to work out obviously right after that, and then eat after that. But I won't get too attached to times because as long as you do it, you do it and it shouldn't be an issue.

For those of you who use the gym, the best way to start out is 2 sets of 15. I used to think it was 3 sets of 12, but I was told it's better to do 2 of 15. It works, my muscles were so much more tired after today's sets.

Weight-O-Rade- Dr. Oz's metabolism booster; green tea is obviously really good for you, but for those of us who don't like hot drinks, at night, make a pot of green tea (about 4 bags) and let it cool. Then in a jug put in sliced tangerines (or lemon since tangerines don't seem to be in season....) and ice and the green tea. Leave it in the fridge overnight.

The next day you have this booster! I hated it at first then I grew to love it. Was good for me too, because I was addicted to diet pepsi and this really helped me get over it.

There's a few other things like snacking on almonds and fruits and veg but that stuff you already know! Just wanted to pass along some wisdom I found out today so everyone has a good chance on some real weight loss.

Good luck!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks! i am going to do the green tea tonight. i used to drink it more them the weather was colder. I love that stuff.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    I actually don't like tea at all but I feel like I'm missing out on something because it has so many health benefits. I'm gonna try this and see how it goes. Thanks!!!
  • destiny637
    destiny637 Posts: 79
    Options
    Yep, me too! Going to make my green tea tonight!! Thanks for sharing that. :)
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The only one I would disagree with is exercise in the morning before eating. I believe in putting fuel in the vehicle before I attempt operate it.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How much Green Tea are you drinking? Your not replacing it for your water are you?
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options

For those of you who use the gym, the best way to start out is 2 sets of 15. I used to think it was 3 sets of 12, but I was told it's better to do 2 of 15. It works, my muscles were so much more tired after today's sets.

Good luck!

Thanks. I try for two sets of 12-15 followed by 12 and if I can do that I go up 10lb. I make sure that third set kills ....

Cheers,

Sean
  • amandaspags
    Options
    The only one I would disagree with is exercise in the morning before eating. I believe in putting fuel in the vehicle before I attempt operate it.

Yeah I know I agree with you. I saw that on TV and was kinda like... weird. But it probably meant on the days when you're weighing in. I wouldn't normally do that.
  • amandaspags
    Options
    How much Green Tea are you drinking? Your not replacing it for your water are you?

No way! I'm obsessed with water, haha! Usually just three or four glasses a day (with ice) of the green tea drink. Generally with meals to cleanse the palate. It's really light and with the lemon it tastes pretty good.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I only hear good things about green tea. but for the life of me i can't stand the taste. Any suggestions?
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Working out before eating according to Dr.Mercola gives better results but i tried it and got dizzy and just no energy, so I have to have some carbs and protein before i workout
  • amandaspags
    Options
    I only hear good things about green tea. but for the life of me i can't stand the taste. Any suggestions?

Totally get you. Honestly, it tastes REALLY good when mixed with lemons and when it's cold. Overnight, with the lemons and then in a glass with lots of ice and it's almost as goo as sugary iced tea!
  • pratt898
    pratt898 Posts: 4
    Options
    How much Green Tea are you drinking? I found a recipe that says 8 cups, but that's a lot! Not to mention lots of caffiene. I hope I can find some tangerines I would really like to replace my morning coffee with this:)
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo I record Dr. Oz so now I get to go home and see what you are talking about! (I Love that man! lol)
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Totally get you. Honestly, it tastes REALLY good when mixed with lemons and when it's cold. Overnight, with the lemons and then in a glass with lots of ice and it's almost as goo as sugary iced tea!

awesome I will have to try!!!! thanks!
  • amandaspags
    Options
    How much Green Tea are you drinking? I found a recipe that says 8 cups, but that's a lot! Not to mention lots of caffiene. I hope I can find some tangerines I would really like to replace my morning coffee with this:)

That is a lot! It does say 8 cups, but honestly 4 bags isn't that much tea! It's probably 4-5 cups and you're supposed to do that in one day (ha!) but it usually takes me 1 and half days. I love it though. It's such a fresh replacement for coffee!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge green tea fan. Right now I drink it cold since it's warm outside. I make it as a modified 'sun tea'. I put the tea bags into a large container of water, put it in the fridge overnight, and take out the teabags the next day. Drink it fridge temperature or over ice, depending on what suits you.

Suggestion if you don't like the taste of green tea:
    There are plenty of different varieties of green tea, if you don't like one, try another. I like Costco's Green Tea with Matcha, but I'm a regular customer of Upton's too. See www.uptontea.com. (I don't work for Upton's or Costco, I just like the products.)
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info!
  • pratt898
    pratt898 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks! I made some today and can't wait to start the day with it tomorrow:)
  • Homewks
    Homewks Posts: 2
    Options
    I didn't like the taste of green tea in the beginning, but it's growing on me. As someone else said, the brand makes a huge difference. The Great Value brand from WalMart, for example, is just awful. Very bitter. Lipton is acceptable, but the Tazo Green Tea tips are really good.

I started off mixing mine - for a pitcher of tea, I used one black tea bag and two green. You still get the health benefits of green, but the black tea is much stronger and that's what you will taste. Of course, black tea has benefits, too. I buy decaf tea bags and drink one or the other all day.