Beans with out rice? Felony or misdemeanor?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I have never heard of this before
    Are we talking black eyed beans

I usually use red kidney beans but I'm sure any kind would be good.

There's no such thing as a bad bean! I have a stock pile pf all kinds in my cabinet! OM NOM NOM!
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Beans combined with rice make a "complete protein"- one that has 9 essential amino acids. Corn can be used as a substitute. Don't overthink/stress it- you don't have to eat them together to gain the benefit if you're eating them at various meals in the day.

Beans and a corn tortilla. Winning!

Bonus points if you add chopped lettuce, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes. And a dollop of sour cream for good measure.
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of rice so I eat beans / pulses mixed in with quinoa or on top of green salad
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I assume whoever said that never had cuisine from the southeast, where pinto beans are often prepared alone without rice. Though it's often paired with cornbread, which may be an acceptable amino acid substitute for rice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I would also add that there really isn't any rule in regards to having beans with rice...it's actually more of a geographic food culture thing...where I'm from, beans with rice is pretty unheard of unless you're a gringo from some other part of the country...beans with tortillas (either corn or flour) is the norm.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    As far as I know, Asians have been eating rice largely w/o beans for eons w/o any significant nutritional or dietary concerns.

The only thing you need to worry about is how rice fits w/in your diet in terms of your nutritional needs and dietary limitations, given your specific weight/health goals.

Asians often pair rice with small amounts of meat or seafood, and often with soybean products.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For me, beans w/o rice = better farts.

I'll leave it up to the reader to determine what "better" means in this context.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    For me, beans w/o rice = better farts.

I'll leave it up to the reader to determine what "better" means in this context.

HAHA! That's great. I don't get a lot of gas from beans either way. I think I have eaten them so regularly for so long that maybe my body has adjusted.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    8hyxjl623bah.gif

You don't have to eat these foods in the same meals in order to get the benefits of combining the amino acids. Your body will do the combining for you if you eat a varied diet.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    8hyxjl623bah.gif

You don't have to eat these foods in the same meals in order to get the benefits of combining the amino acids. Your body will do the combining for you if you eat a varied diet.

Yup, that's right. At one time, it was thought they had to be eaten in the same meal.