Losing Weight Isn't Your Goal.

Options
Preachination!

Weight Loss, Shmate Loss

I know, I know... bear with me here.

There's a general way of thinking in need of a revolutionary shift and/or a straight kick in the pants when it comes to tracking nutrition and/or getting fit-- the fitness measuring equivalent of fool's gold. So here it is: you're not trying to lose "weight"; You're trying to lose FAT.

Duh. Kinda. Right?

I know there's a fine line there (fat weighs something, after all) but once you wrap your mind around the fact weight isn't always fat, you'll understand why weight is a nebulous "thing" that can help but mostly hinder...and why I think constantly checking the scale for progress is counterproductive and unnecessarily frustrating. I won't deny tracking your weight has its place (baseline, starting points, monthly check-ins and all that) but when anyone invests so much hope, happiness and measured success in the readout on a scale---or pumps their fist at losing weight for the sake of losing weight-- a simple increase in the numbers on the scale will always become a "failure"... and that just shouldn't EVER be the case.

Weight Is A Number, Not Progress

Weight, by definition, is simply a measurement of gravity and little else without some additional and sometimes complicated maths. As far as a scale is concerned... eat dinner, gain weight. Go to the bathroom, lose weight. Put shoes on, gain weight. Take your clothes off, lose weight. See where I'm going with this? Any one of a thousand changes you can do to your body will tip the scale up or down but at the end of the day are your pants tight? Is your "little pooch" still pooching its way around your waist? Do your arms still look like a fresh-squeezed line of toothpaste?

Point is-- looking to "weight" as a sole source of progress is crash course in frustration. Sure it's an indicator but you can fast for a day and lose "weight" while not being any thinner than the next time you take a drink or eat a meal. Losing FAT will always makes you look thinner (aka- leaner), and in need of a new wardrobe-- and its these visual measuring sticks most folks in the process of "losing weight" want in the first place.

And really, isn't that what it boils down to: visual results representing better health over a superficial pat on the back from a machine that's got no concept of who you are, how much farther you ran or how much better your pants fit?

Personally, I say YAAAASSSS.

And Thus, 3 Reasons Why Your Scale Can Be a Big Fat Jerk

1) Your weight's going to fluctuate by pounds. I could get on the scale first thing in the morning and weigh myself two hours later only to find a two pound gain. I didn't just get fatter and neither did you. Weight fluctuates throughout the day-- what you just ate, what you're wearing, how much water you're retaining, what's in your bladder--the list goes on and on-- and none of these factors are truly reflective of where you're actually at in body fat, fitness level or transformation.

2) The scale is a mental bully. Insanely, if your expectations don't line up with what the scale reads, all of a sudden YOU'RE the failure. Never mind Junior may have been using the scale as a trampoline throughout the week or you happen to be retaining a little water. The scale reads what it reads and we tend to magically believe that's become the definition of our success or failure. We quickly forget we upped our endurance this week, pulled out a couple more push ups or cinched up an extra belt notch when we put our pants on. Why? Most folks expect the numbers on the scale to go down and when they don't, people think something in their diet or workout regimen is haywire. It's not. The scale is just using its simple measurement of time and place to be a jerk.

3) Scales are big fat liars when it comes to gauging overall success in your transformation. Fact is, your transformation is in the mirror, the clothes you fit into and the way you feel-- not in numbers on a scale. Yes, scales are 90-ish percent truthful in their measurement of WEIGHT, but you're not out to lose WEIGHT. You're out to lose FAT and get fit-- and weight can be an ineffective measurement of your fat-burning success if you're measuring up every day or even every week.

To keep from bonking into the wall of frustration, use these simple "success metric"/"sanity check" alternatives instead:

Good: Clothes. Say wha? Yeah, this is the poor man's scale. How are your pants feeling? Are clothes more loose? Need a belt? These are all signs you're losing fat and trimming up.

Gooder: Measuring tape. Measure out your waist size, thighs, arms-- even millimeters are an indicator of slow and steady success.

Goodest: Fat calipers-- a personal favorite. They're a bit trickier, but if a scale is the weight loss bully, fat calipers are the weight loss body-guard of tough love that use skin folds to measure what you're trying to lose: subcutaneous fat. Like that chump the scale, calipers can be used every week or two to monitor fat torching progress. Some body areas may be slower to respond than others, but adding all your skin fold measurements can often yield surprising drops every week.

So maybe I'm a little tough on scales-- but that's only because I've seen them frustrate far too many people. Stick with your MFP protocols, eat smartly, work out if that's part of it all... and your guaranteed results will be in your "before" and "after" pictures, not in the digital readout.

Replies

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Question: If I'm sure I'm abiding by my calorie goals, is it really safe to put the scale away for a month? I'm upping my exercise intensity (& adding weights) in the coming weeks and I'm afraid I might freak out over a little swelling. Sorry for asking you to repeat yourself when you've already written something so thoughtful.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oversimplifying, there are two camps.

OP is an eloquent advocate for one camp: Weigh infrequently, don't let the scale dominate you.

The other camp says: Weigh at the same time every day, under the same conditions (first thing in the AM, after bathroom, before eating, and naked is usually proposed). Record it. Over time, learn to understand your personal weight fluctuations, and what causes them. Knowledge is powerful, and the scale will never again be able to dominate you.

There are lots of variations and considerations of each, but that's the cartoon version.

Fundamentally, each person has to decide which approach best fits his or her personality and outlook.

Thank you. I'm going to have to think about this.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oversimplifying, there are two camps.

OP is an eloquent advocate for one camp: Weigh infrequently, don't let the scale dominate you.

The other camp says: Weigh at the same time every day, under the same conditions (first thing in the AM, after bathroom, before eating, and naked is usually proposed). Record it. Over time, learn to understand your personal weight fluctuations, and what causes them. Knowledge is powerful, and the scale will never again be able to dominate you.

There are lots of variations and considerations of each, but that's the cartoon version.

Fundamentally, each person has to decide which approach best fits his or her personality and outlook.

Good points- particularly about having a view of the long game and gaining control over fluctuation anxiety. I'd just go back to my generalization that in my experience for most beginners, a daily weigh in is more frustration than encouragement.
  • MishaWest79
    MishaWest79 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A timely reminder not to get to caught up in what the scales reflect, thanks OP this post is both insightful and encouraging! :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm in the 2nd camp too.

I weigh myself daily (naked after using the toilet each morning) but do not experience any anxiety or frustration because I take the long term view that it's the trend and not each daily weigh-in that matters.

You can't get a good data set to determine the trend unless you weigh yourself daily and by computing a 7 day moving average the data becomes less erratic and the trend more readily apparent.
  • EricaH7
    EricaH7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It seems like everyone here either measures body fat in some manner or uses a measuring tape. I haven't done this. I weigh daily, hoping to see a downward trend because I do have a ways to go. I also measure myself by looking in the mirror and how my clothes fit. Lately my jeans have been a little looser so I know I am making progress, and when I stand in front of a mirror I see my belly doesn't stick out quite as far as it used to. Should I be measuring my body fat or using a measuring tape? It seems like how clothes fit is one of the best measurements to see what direction you are going.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Whatever you're comfortable with and can sustain is what is best for you. I have used a measuring tape, but once a year...I don't weigh myself every day, but more weekly or biweekly...like you, I'd rather count on how my clothes fit, how my body feels. Everyone has their own way..xo
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I would say that calipers are not the best method of tracking as in the very lean or overweight category (of which I assume many people are if they are on a weight loss forum), then it is hard to take consistent readings. Measuring tape and scales are all you need as long as you don't let the readings dictate success.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think for the major part of a weight loss journey the scale is a major component. But it is a component and not the only part of it for me. Getting healthier is my goal, but there is no way to sugar coat the fact that I need to have that number on the scale be a lot smaller in the long run. Once I get closer to goal I will re-evaluate and start making the scale a lesser component of what is needed to get healthy, but for now, being morbidly obese, the best thing I can do is lose weight.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    I know the scale is an imperfect method, probably more so as I get closer to goal. But it is a starting point & an easy method to use at home alone. I currently weigh every day but I don't record every day so I'm not using those data points to their best advantage. I do know that my weight goes up up down up DOWN down up up, and so on. I'm not too bothered by that. I think it WILL bother me if, because of a change in exercise, my weight is static or even goes up for several weeks. I'm asking myself now if I can be a rational adult and face the scale every day like it's just a tool that I am, perhaps, asking too much of, or if I'm just gonna throw the freaking thing in the creek.
  • ESCgfb2020
    ESCgfb2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow - well stated and definitely a real du'h moment. Of course it's fat we are trying to lose but having it stated out right really changes how you think about. Also with you 100%, weight is just one number to track among; body measurements, fat%, calories in and out, daily water, cardio time/effort as well as lifting. The more numbers you track the more points of improvements and success you will see. If you don't track it you can't improve it.
  • esckaiftw
    esckaiftw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you can delete that post from ESCgtb2020 - account I created trying to work through access issues with UA:

Wow - well stated and definitely a real du'h moment. Of course it's fat we are trying to lose but having it stated out right really changes how you think about. Also with you 100%, weight is just one number to track among; body measurements, fat%, calories in and out, daily water, cardio time/effort as well as lifting. The more numbers you track the more points of improvements and success you will see. If you don't track it you can't improve it.
  • esckaiftw
    esckaiftw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I'm in the 2nd camp too.

I weigh myself daily (naked after using the toilet each morning) but do not experience any anxiety or frustration because I take the long term view that it's the trend and not each daily weigh-in that matters.

You can't get a good data set to determine the trend unless you weigh yourself daily and by computing a 7 day moving average the data becomes less erratic and the trend more readily apparent.

Same approach here, I track the 7 day average. That was one of the hardest things to get over, letting the daily weight undermine my motivation, especially when it was the only number I track. It really helped when I started tracking more than just my weight. It helped me to be indifferent to the daily numbers, all of them, and focus on the weekly averages and trends.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    I think for the major part of a weight loss journey the scale is a major component. But it is a component and not the only part of it for me. Getting healthier is my goal, but there is no way to sugar coat the fact that I need to have that number on the scale be a lot smaller in the long run. Once I get closer to goal I will re-evaluate and start making the scale a lesser component of what is needed to get healthy, but for now, being morbidly obese, the best thing I can do is lose weight.

This is what I was thinking. My scale hasn't budged in many months. Yes, I've made fitness gains and my body shape has continued to change during this time, but there's only so much "transformation" possible at 200 lbs. Now the scale needs to move again, so yes, weight loss is my goal (preferably due to fat loss, of course).
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just an example: I weigh every morning, after the john, naked, before anything else. I have one of those bluetooth scales, so it tracks very nicely. Here is a print of 3 months of daily weigh ins. I am on a slow bulk for strength trainig, so the line is going the "wrong" way.z3hqnp8t6qgg.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    While many of my clients goal is to lose weight, I try to focus on them getting fit. Because getting fit will usually require them to lose some weight anyway to attain it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png