Walking to lose weight

Options

Replies

• daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan. Low impact, easy to do, stress relieving and burns calories. Very under-rated IMO.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    For the most part, walking is the only exercise I get.
    'Calories out' is calories out, no matter how you achieve them. Some 'calories out' methods (like running or serious swimming or rowing) will allow for faster/more 'calories out' ...but I never begrudge my 30-60 minute walk. It allows me extra calories and is good for my body.
  • rhondamacleod1958
    Options
    I walk. It costs nothing, and I find I do my best "thinking" when I walk. Once I got in a daily routine, 30 minutes at lunch and 30 minutes after dinner, I looked forward to getting outside. Often the walk in the evening very easily extends itself to 60 minutes with out any extra effort.
  • BridgetHarrington
    Options
    I walk. It costs nothing, and I find I do my best "thinking" when I walk. Once I got in a daily routine, 30 minutes at lunch and 30 minutes after dinner, I looked forward to getting outside. Often the walk in the evening very easily extends itself to 60 minutes with out any extra effort.

Totally relate! I used to be a runner, until I busted my MCL. I can still run short distances, but only if I tape the hell out of my knee. I can walk very fast, though, and I love it! That's pretty much my only exercise, because I have a desk job, and after work, I'm constantly running somewhere (errands, kid stuff). And it's my stress relief. If someone at work, my boyfriend or my kid pissed me off, I go for a long walk. I work it off and think it out.

It burns 200-300 calories at the speed and length I do it, and it's been working. I'm down almost 15 pounds in a month and a half. I've been walking for years, and I gained the weight I have to lose (25 pounds) because I stopped watching what I ate. I also have a friend who is very overweight - about 150 pounds to lose. She isn't even 30 yet, and she got a wake-up call at her physical for work -- she is diabetic (no family history) and has very high BP and cholesterol. She is not an exerciser and initially didn't have the stamina for anything but walking, and her doctor said to try even 10 minutes a day....just move....so she did that. She's lost 45+ pounds now and has enough energy to start doing weight training and wants to try Zumba.

So yes, it is absolutely a legitimate exercise/
  • cathyjewell84
    cathyjewell84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been walking everyday for almost 2months now, haven't weighed myself yet but i can feel and see a big difference so far!!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am a runner now but I started by walking. Walking did work for me but due to time constraints I found that running was more effective. Walking is so good for you too, it will give you more energy after you make it a habit and build up some strength. Do it!
  • txlonghorns38
    txlonghorns38 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I Walk 5 Miles Monday-Friday for almost 2 hours and I have seen huge changes in my legs as I go up and down steep hills
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Walking definitely helps - it burns calories but it also reduces stress. If you include hills or steps in can build muscle too!
  • mdonsbach
    mdonsbach Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Started back in April. Weighed 230. Today I weigh 199. Outside of a kayak trip or two I've solely lost this by walking and watching what I eat. Granted I have no upper body strength but I'm losing weight!

So to answer your question yes good results with walking.

If you'll excuse me I need to WALK down to another building for a meeting.
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I walk 4 miles every day and try to eat between 1,000 and 1,200 calories. I've been doing this for only a month and I've lost 4 inches on my waist and 5 inches on my hips. Sometimes I wear ankle weights when I walk to make it a bit harder. It has been working for me significantly.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is a BIG factor for me. I find it gets me moving and also lifts my spirits. I am happier and eating for entertainment less. I know logically it doesn't burn a whole lot of calories but it makes a difference just the same. I suspect it raises my slow metabolism a bit as it warms me up... Yes, I'm one of those people who is suddenly cold now that I am down 57 pounds. Keep walking and if you decide to add some other stuff as time goes by it's a bonus.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I started out wobbling to the corner with a cane. Now I run and walk as well as lift weights. Walking was and is a huge part of my weight loss effort and will always be a part of my weight management.

It's free and effective. It's the best stress management I know as well as a wonderful mood booster and is excellent for keeping your energy up. I can't say enough good things about it. You can always make it more of a challenging work out with hills, speed intervals, or jogging intervals.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I love walking. I have been feeling so much happier since making a point to include it in my everyday routine.

I broke my ankle last year and have some permanent issues there, so lots of exercises are not possible/comfortable, but now I am at a point where I can walk basically as far as I'd like and it makes me so happy, and it actually stops most of the pain and stiffness in my ankle. I've even just recently got a dog so now I really HAVE TO get out there every day.
    I've tried gyms, fitness classes, home workouts, sports...but walking is just my thing!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, I walk about two miles a day, it buys me a couple of hundred extra calories which makes all the difference in sticking to my goals. I almost always go over on days I don't walk.

Plus it's necessary for health, especially for women - protective against osteoporosis etc.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I started off walking without a deficit or any understanding on how major exercise increases your appetite. Im a distance power walker, if there is such a thing. So after an epic fail thanks to me increasing the calories in when I increased calories out I quit. I decided to school myself the next time around because of your unhappy enough you try again. I learned about deficits and eating back your exercise calories but nothing more and leaving enough calories to eat after exercise when hunger strikes hard and fast. I started walking 3 times a day 15minutes then increased my speed and length. Pretty soon I added elliptical and treadmill to the party. If you had told me I would want more exercise faster I would've called you crazy. What no one told me is how much better my mood would be, I have more energy and when I go full tilt for an hour I get the post workout high from endorphins and adrenaline. Exercise is the most underutilized anti depressant and anti anxiety drug on earth and over eating is is the most over abused and detrimental coping mechanism in America. So far I'm losing weight fast and steady. The real atcheivment is that I'm happy again.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a standing desk at work with....wait for it....a treadmill under it! I use it from 1-1.5 mph for parts of the day. In fact, on days I'm away or at meetings, I really miss keeping moving on it. Walking is the superfood of exercise. But if you don't count your calories in, it will do nothing for you in weight regard.
    I've gone from a stable 206 lb to a stable 195 lb since June.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Walking is the cornerstone of my fitness routine. I walk when I'm too tired to do anything else, when I need some sunshine, to get outside and speak to my neighbours, or as something to do with friends besides coffee. It's important for me to incorporate strength training and some higher intensity exercise to feel my best, but walking is still a must.
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »
    I have a standing desk at work with....wait for it....a treadmill under it! I use it from 1-1.5 mph for parts of the day.

OMG I NEED one of those!!

Walking is my main form of exercise as well....besides burning calories you'll be doing wonders for your heart <3