Bathroom Troubles

Options
Ok, this might sound gross to some. But since I've started eating healthier, I don't go to the bathroom as often (have bowel movements). I've tried adding some fiber, and prunes...and they'll make me go sometimes. But I thought that when you ate healthier, things move flow more often? Am I wrong?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So you are eating less and as a result you are going to the bathroom less and you find that suprising? I mean if you really want to be on the toilet more I guess fiber and prunes are a good way to go and having more fiber in your diet isn't really a bad thing so you can do that if you want. I have heard the concept that you will be more "regular" when you are healthy but everytime I've heard that its been from a company trying to sell some high fiber product. Are you experiencing discomfort or any sort of physical ailment from not going to the bathroom as often as you'd like?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eating less food means less fiber.. You can eat prunes and what not (eeeeewww btw).. but perhaps make sure your diet is not lacking in healthy fats and fiber choices.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When you eat less, you're going to go less. At least at first. There's literally less food to be digested. I find that I have trouble the first week of getting into a deficit, and then things become regular again IF: I'm getting enough fiber as well as enough FAT.

As the poster above asked, are you experiencing discomfort?
  • minusblindfold25
    minusblindfold25 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Staying hydrated helps me..
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You need to realize also if you are eating food that is better for you in general - there is less 'wasted' and more nutrients absorbed and used by your body also leading to less bathroom need because your eliminating less garbage now.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You should aim for once a day, and sorry for the ick factor, but also look at how soft or firm your stools are. To determine if you're system is clearing out as it should, do this: eat some fresh corn and check how long the kernels take to come out the other end.

Apart from the fiber, I agree with minublindfold25, make sure you drink enough water, as fiber needs to fill with water to pass quickly. Taking psyllium husks (metamucil), another fiber, might help too.
  • jenniferb973
    jenniferb973 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not in any pain or anything. Just realized I won't go for days at a time....whereas, before, I was pretty regular. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ok, this might sound gross to some. But since I've started eating healthier, I don't go to the bathroom as often (have bowel movements). I've tried adding some fiber, and prunes...and they'll make me go sometimes. But I thought that when you ate healthier, things move flow more often? Am I wrong?

My guess is that your definition of "healthy" doesn't include much fat...which is probably your issue. Dietary fat is essential to a healthy diet...if you cut way back on fat, you're going to have issues, this just being one of them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not in any pain or anything. Just realized I won't go for days at a time....whereas, before, I was pretty regular. :)

You might get back to a daily routine. If you don't and you are uncomfortable, you can adjust your fat and fiber which can make you more regular. If I don't go for a day I'm uncomfortable.
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My minimum fiber is 25g and at least a gallon of water a day, or things don't move like they should.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Totally normal if you have reduced your caloric intake significantly, less food in = Less food out.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If you are eating more fiber make sure you get enough water. Otherwise it can cause constipation. Also, a healthy bowel routine varies between people. For example, I am the type who "goes" 3-4 times a day. My husband goes like once every 3-4 days. It has always been and likely always will be. The key is to know your habits and pay attention so you are aware of any SUDDEN and unusual changes. Some changes can be transitional. You may experience constipation or diarrhea upon starting a new diet, medication, have a lot of stress, anxiety, dietary sensitivities etc.... Just be on the look out for pain, blood in stools etc.... and all will be fine.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Eating less food means less fiber.. You can eat prunes and what not (eeeeewww btw).. but perhaps make sure your diet is not lacking in healthy fats and fiber choices.

I must disagree. Not all food contains fiber, and less food can have more fiber depending on the food.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I must disagree. Not all food contains fiber, and less food can have more fiber depending on the food.

sigh.. not quite sure where you got that I think all food contains fiber.. ;)
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I find that bulky food equals bulky stools, especially if that bulk is grain based. There is no health benefit or detriment to it. It is what it is.

Since removing bread etc from my diet to help with ibs i go far less often or as much. Add grains back in and its more. Its not healthier either way.
    Options

sigh.. not quite sure where you got that I think all food contains fiber.. ;)

That is not what I said. I was explaining why I disagree. I think intention was lost in text. You said that "Eating less food means less fiber". I am saying that is not true because not all food contains fiber. You can eat a lot of low or no fiber foods, or a small amount of high fiber foods. That's all I meant.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    blueeyetea wrote: »
    You should aim for once a day, and sorry for the ick factor, but also look at how soft or firm your stools are. To determine if you're system is clearing out as it should, do this: eat some fresh corn and check how long the kernels take to come out the other end.

Apart from the fiber, I agree with minublindfold25, make sure you drink enough water, as fiber needs to fill with water to pass quickly. Taking psyllium husks (metamucil), another fiber, might help too.

If you are a thrill seeker and thrive on adrenaline eat beets. They will scare the bejeezus out of you until you remember that you ate them ;)

Happened to my husband recently. Oldest kiddo harvested from his raised bed, only hubby likes them, and there you go. Scared himself nearly shitless. ;)

eta: I made it through the kitten filter!
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    blueeyetea wrote: »

If you are a thrill seeker and thrive on adrenaline eat beets. They will scare the bejeezus out of you until you remember that you ate them ;)

Happened to my husband recently. Oldest kiddo harvested from his raised bed, only hubby likes them, and there you go. Scared himself nearly shitless. ;)

eta: I made it through the kitten filter!

They can turn you tinkle also! The funny part about the red poop is it can last several days if you eat them in quantity as I have been know to do. This can really mess with your head. LOL!