Macros - Protein Issue

Options
Hi.
So for the past week i've been trying to stick to a breakdown of 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fats in my daily diet. However i seem to be constantly blowing past my allowed fats number (46grams) and coming up well short of my protein target (207grams).

Any advice on what kinds of foods i could be eating that will allow me consume the correct number of protein every day but stay below my fats limit?
Thanks.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No need to get that much protein... for protein aim for a goal of 0.8ish grams of protein per lb of goal weight. So if your goal is to weigh 140 your protein minimum should be set at 112 grams. 20% fat is quite low.

I would suggest aiming for a minimum of 0.4 grams per lb of goal weight. So again with a goal of 140 that would be 56 grams minimum (and more is fine too)
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Open up that diary and let's see where you're loading up on the fats...
  • arditarose
    Options
    46 grams is hardly loading up on fats.
  • nowhere123
    nowhere123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What is your height and weight?

6 foot 1.
    210 pounds.
  • nowhere123
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Open up that diary and let's see where you're loading up on the fats...
    I didn't know I could share the diary.
    Here you go: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/paddyryan355

Thanks.

• nowhere123
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    No need to get that much protein... for protein aim for a goal of 0.8ish grams of protein per lb of goal weight. So if your goal is to weigh 140 your protein minimum should be set at 112 grams. 20% fat is quite low.

I would suggest aiming for a minimum of 0.4 grams per lb of goal weight. So again with a goal of 140 that would be 56 grams minimum (and more is fine too)

Ok i'll re calibrate my goals based on this information.

I was led to believe that a 40/40/20 split between carbs, protein and fats was the way to go.
  • nowhere123
    Options

I was led to believe that a 40/40/20 split between carbs, protein and fats was the way to go.

So based on your advise I'm aiming for 145.6g of protein and 72.8g of fats. Can I assume the rest should be carbs?
  • arditarose
    Options

So based on your advise I'm aiming for 145.6g of protein and 72.8g of fats. Can I assume the rest should be carbs?

Personally I'd aim for .8g of protein per pound of body weight (I'm 5'4" and 140lbs and shoot for 140g of protein for myself). I agree on fats. And yes, the rest in carbs.
  • erickirb
    Options

Yes, then use the fat and protein as minimums and the carbs as a max.
  • nowhere123
    Options

So my goal is to lose weight. Should I be hitting those numbers each day or is coming up short of them a good way to lose weight?
    Thanks again.

• erickirb
    Options

So my goal is to lose weight. Should I be hitting those numbers each day or is coming up short of them a good way to lose weight?
    Thanks again.

aim to be close to your goal total cals (+/-100) is fine, but you should hit the fat and protein minimums. Protein, while in a deficit, will help you retain lean muscle.
  • dariusshaw
    dariusshaw Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Paddyryan or anyone how do you share your food dairy via mobile
  • elljay47
    elljay47 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

@ericklrb - is that the same for females too?
  • erickirb
    Options
    elljay47 wrote: »

@ericklrb - is that the same for females too?

It would be for women as well, yes
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    lean beef 96/4, chicken breast, grilled without butter oil etc. Tuna is basically fat free, so are egg whites (I boil and fry them depending on what kind of mood Im in). Also protein powder is usually fairly fat free. I only eat 28 grams of fat day, compared to 130 grams of protein, so I know the feeling!
  • RebeccaNaegle
    Options

404020 is not a bad way to go. maybe do 35carb 25fat 40protein?
  • erickirb
    Options
    lean beef 96/4, chicken breast, grilled without butter oil etc. Tuna is basically fat free, so are egg whites (I boil and fry them depending on what kind of mood Im in). Also protein powder is usually fairly fat free. I only eat 28 grams of fat day, compared to 130 grams of protein, so I know the feeling!

Why so low fat consumption.... please recall some vitamins and minerals are fat soluble, not to mention fat is good for skin, hair, digestive system, nails, and for satiety for many people.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    Options
    28 isn't super low if you are a small framed female. It is about 25% of my daily calories, and 28 grams is what my body does well on, maintaining/increasing muscle while losing fat.
  • erickirb
    edited September 2016
    Options
    28 isn't super low if you are a small framed female. It is about 25% of my daily calories, and 28 grams is what my body does well on, maintaining/increasing muscle while losing fat.

that is 25% of a 1,000 cal diet, which I consider a VLCD. unless you are below 5' and obese I would not suggest less that 1200 (which is too low for most). This may work for you, but are you sure it is the most ideal for your health? Have you had blood tests confirming you are not deficient in any vitamins or minerals?

my diet is basically 50-55% Carbs, 20-25% protein and 25% fat.