September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Got in a warm ride & run with my tri team this morning, concluding with 6 faster miles on the unshaded upper tampa bay trail. With the weather in the upper 80s, I went by heart rate (staying in my M range), and averaged an 8 pace in the heat/humidity/sunshine. Still, with my 70.3 triathlon Sunday in similar conditions, I wanted to see how I adapted, was willing to push it, and luckily didn't want to die after 6 miles (which is good as I'm running 13 Sunday). Starting my taper tomorrow after a hard swim later this afternoon.

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles
    9/3 - 12 miles
    9/4 - 16 miles
    9/6 - 10.5 miles (w. HM pace running at end)
    9/7 - 6 miles
    9/9 - 6 miles
    9/11 - 3 miles
    9/12 - 8.5 miles
    9/13 - 10 miles
    9/14 - 12 miles
    9/15 - 6.5 miles
    9/16 - 20 miles
    9/17 - 6 miles (w. MP in middle)
    9/19 - 6.5 miles
    9/20 - 7 miles (w. 2@MP, and 3x1K@10K pace)
    9/21 - 6 miles (all at MP/HM heart rate)

Total: 152 miles, 5 MP+ faster session
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: 38 miles, 3 MP+ faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
    @Ohhim that was interesting about your heart rate and drift. Unfortunately, I didn't quite understand and hope you will clarify. Did you mean you don't let you heart drift out of that range during the 90 mins or you stay in that range for the start and then let it drift over (for the half)?

I start at the bottom (162 full M, 168 HM, and 171 15K/threshold), and it gradually drifts up as I keep my pace constant throughout the race (due to both natural drift and temperatures rising in the AM when races are held). Still, I'm doing those races in roughly 3 hours, 1.5 hours, and 1 hour respectively, so I used to start at lower HR ranges when I was slower, and will let my heart jump during my final kick at the end.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Thanks! And how high will it drift in your half, if it starts at 168? I have been struggling with how I can interpret drift in a race compared to drift in training, which is why I'm bugging you o:)
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I ran further than my plan said today because I needed it. Life is absolutely kicking my backside this week, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't run. I don't think I had managed to breathe properly or calm down for hours until I hit the fields on my run tonight. It suddenly felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

I will catch up on posts when everything crazy has happened tomorrow and I can spare more than a few seconds.

September Running Challenge

1st-4th - Poorlysick
    5th - 3.53 miles
    6th - 4.06 miles
    8th - 10.02 miles
    10th - 3.1 miles
    11th - 6.07 miles
    13th - 3.01 miles
    17th - 3.11 miles
    18th - 13.18 miles - HM PB!
    20th - 3.02 miles
    21st - 5.05 miles

MTD - 54.15/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Love all the miles! I haven't given up on returning. Well, actually I had but after today's appointment I'm feeling more optimistic. Swimming is still my only approved cardio activity.

I get to start PT one day a week. Figure my 2017 new year's goal will coincide with a return to running program.

Still on the crutches *sheesh* 14 weeks now, looking like another 7-10...

But, I'm having cupcakes today. Thanks @greenolivetree :wink:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Keep hanging in there, Heres hoping the time goes by fast for you!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    The week in review:

Sunday, DNF at Rochester Marathon.

Monday, total rest day, calves really feeling the after-effects of late-race severe cramps.

Tuesday, mostly rest day, calves quieted down enough so that my pre-race twinge could be heard. It's bad enough to keep me from running, so I didn't even go to the club workout.

Wednesday, today - that twinge still prevents running even two steps. Had a regular appointment with my podiatrist, mentioned it to him. The hurt I pointed to is "right where the muscle connects to the tendon." He had a few suggestions, and offered to write a referral for PT. I took that.

On the PT prescription, it says "Dx: Left Achilles Tendonitis"

That has me a bit down. My coach had Achilles tendonitis when I met him, and said he went 14 weeks without running a step.

After lunch, I called and made a PT appointment for Friday morning. Then I noticed that I can walk more briskly this afternoon than I could yesterday. Maybe it will get better just with enough rest?

Okay, I've been here before. I know I'm going to swing between denial and hypochondria, thinking it will all get better on its own soon and thinking I'll never run again. I just need to ignore both ends of the emotional thinking and do what needs doing. Today, that's make the PT appointment. If it happens to get all better with two more days of rest, I can walk out of PT with a smile. If it doesn't get all better with rest, I won't be waiting a few more days for a later appointment.

Oh, yeah. I need to cut my daily calories, too. If I'm not running, I'll put on weight with what I had been eating. Let's put it at 2700 calories for now, 400 lower than what I had as a base while in marathon training. May need to cut it further, depending on what happens; but I need to get used to eating that much less, first.

Sigh. I think my racing goals are about to be revised.
  • Lovemybody75
    Lovemybody75 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh and I have 27 so far!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Cheer up @MobyCarp . You got this. Promise. Rest and regroup.

I'm down 4 pounds since surgery. I'm sure it's all muscle though. I have one normal defined runners leg and one hot dog leg. I'll be good at running circles around everyone.

Thanks @MNLittleFinn !
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @MobyCarp

I battle Achilles Tendonitis from time to time, although it's never kept me from running. You are right however, the more you stretch it out throughout the day, the less it hurts. What I have done when it flairs is to ice it immediately after a run. My trainer has also had me do eccentric calf raises 2-3 times a day. I noticed that if I ran when it was a little tender, if I tended to run slower to start it would loosen up a bit and after 2-3 miles it would be fine. Again I think my issues were probably not as severe as your trainers since I was able to work through mine with just a little modification to training and not stopping altogether.

@RunRachelleRun

Cardiac drift varies from person to person, and is something you almost need to track individually over time, different temperatures, different paces, ect. I have run half marathons in the 40's where I had only a few bmp drift between miles 2-12, and others where I'd gain 1-2 bmp per mile over the course of a race as the temperatures drifted upwards. Studies have shown that staying well hydrated will decrease the chances of cardiac drift as well. This is fairly good article http://www.exercisemed.org/research-blog/cardiovascular-drift-anothe.html
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    Hey all!! I just found this challenge group so here is my first post with my progress for September. I started running in January this year straight off the couch. Over the last 9 months I have run at least 3 times a week and lost almost 100 lbs. I have three 5k's and three 10k races scheduled for this fall and I am already signed up for the Indy Mini Half Marathon in May 2017. I am also hoping to get into the Beach to Beacon 10k in Maine in 2017.

I still have plenty of work to do...

Here is my log so far for September:

9/2: 4.5 miles
    9/4: 5.5 miles
    9/5: 2.9 miles
    9/7: 4.35 miles
    9/9: 4.5 miles
    9/11: 6.0 miles
    9/12: 3.1 miles
    9/15: 5.25 miles
    9/17: Fleet Feet PB Class - Speed Work - 1 mile of fartleks approx
    9/18: 4.0 miles
    9/20: 3.5 miles

So just about 45 miles running so far in September. I also cross train riding my bicycle twice a week (Specialized Diverge) - 71 miles on the bike so far this month...

Do you live in Indy? I am also running in the Mini Half Marathon 2017. I run on the Monon Trail as much as possible and supplement my running with the treadmill.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My event is 2 weeks from this Saturday. Is it too late to break in a new pair of running shoes? I plan 2 more long runs and a couple of shorter runs before my taper week. The shoes I use now are plain old Nikes, which I bought in a running store. I purchased them in January 2014, and have run 4 half marathons in them. However this last long run, I really started feeling tightness in my calf muscles, and may need extra support.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @ereck44 I had 12 miles on thr shoes I wore for my first HM. No problems. Good shoes really shouldn't need to be broken in.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @ereck44

Rule of thumb is do a few shorter and at least 1 long run in new shoes, if they feel good from those runs you're good. Like @MNLittleFinn states, if you are using a brand and style you've used for a while, you are probably OK right out of the box. I have no issues opening a new box of my Adidas shoes and doing a 15-20 mile long run in them right off the bat, but I've got a good history in them and have used that style for about 7-8 pair now. I doubt I'd try that with a new brand or style.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift that picture looks like an ad for running, or the picture on a motivational poster. Pretty awesome
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link and explanation @5512bf !
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    September goal.....run/jog/prance

9/1 3.12
    9/2 4-ish (technology malfunction...)
    9/3 strength/core training
    9/4 3.18
    9/5 rest
    9/6 3.25 + strength/core
    9/7 5.7
    9/8 strength/core training
    9/9 rest
    9/10 3.25
    9/11 3.16 + strength/core
    9/12 snorkel 2 hours
    9/13 rest
    9/14 moved a friend's woodworking shop: saw, planer, and lathe....up 15 stairs.....
    9/15 6.25 then a 4.2 mile trail hike thru Kilauea Iki with 2000' elevation change (yep, I'm counting it!)
    9/16 more ennui
    9/17 4.10
    9/18 core/strength training
    9/19 3.13
    9/20 rest
    9/21 7.40

Total 47.09

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/21 2.22 miles

Took it pretty easy as I'm still feeling tight/sore from Sunday's race. Doing lots of stretching, rolling, icing, soaking.

Total for September so far is 74 out of 90 miles - 81% of goal. Given that I should be doing at least 11 for my long run this weekend, I guess I should make that. Taper starts after the long run!

Correction - I think I'm only at 71.9 miles out of 90.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift that picture looks like an ad for running, or the picture on a motivational poster. Pretty awesome
    Absolutely! My first thought also was that that picture could be right out of a running shoe commercial! Lol, I wish I looked that much like a runner when I run. They just put the pictures from my half marathon online, and I swear I gave it a last push and sprinted across the finish line, but in the photo it looks like I'm somewhere between slow jogging and falling asleep :p

lporter229 wrote: »
    So I am curious, for those of you that typically do tempo runs, do you try to do them on flat terrain? If not, do you adjust your pace for the hills? I tried to avoid any hills that were too long or steep, but I did see my HR climbing into zone 4 on some of the hills. Of course, it was falling into zone 2 on the down hills, so it evens out, but I never feel like I can compensate for pace on the downhills if I slow myself down on the uphills. My running mechanics just don't allow for it.
    @lporter229 Guess that depends on your definition of "flat" B)
    Like @kristinegift , I also don't have anything totally flat where I live. I just had a the data of this year's runs, I think have only two choices to keep a run under 40m or 50m of elevation.
    There is my little "forest loop" which is nearly perfectly flat (+/-17m), but it's rather short (4.5km), has one traffic light, and as the name suggests, 2.5km of the loop are in a little forest, so time and weather-dependend the first third of it can be really muddy, and after sunset it gets pitch-dark, so even with a flashlight I have to move slowly and carefully.
    Or I can run around in the village centre, that's also pretty flat (maybe +/-25m for 6km), but comes with traffic lights and roundabouts to cross. So that is also not ideal for tempo runs (and pretty annoying, I only ever do that if I need to pass by the post office or the supermarket).
    All other routes I can do involve at least ~50m elevation change. For tempo runs, I try to limit it to that amount of climbing (rather than seeking out any extra hills for fun :D ) . I get the climbing out of the way first, which usually ends up with a too slow pace. I know I won't be able to compensate 1:1 for that on the downhill in the end; so I just go a bit faster on the flat part in the middle of the run, until I've caught up to the planned pace. Then I can finish with the descent, and either enjoy the fact that I can keep the pace with less effort, or keep the effort up and end up with a slightly faster average pace in the end.