9/02 ........... Rest
    9/03 ..... 3.3
    9/04 ........... Rest
    9/05 ........... Hiked 6 miles
    9/06 ........... Walked 6 miles with a friend
    9/07 ..... 2.3 Easy run then walked, DOMS was a little much to ignore
    9/08 ........... Rest
    9/09 ........... Rest
    9/10 ..... 3.2 With DD. She walked a little more than last time but I am still happy with what she put in.
    9/11 ..... 5.0 With DH. I was a little surprised with the pace: felt easy at ~10:30 min/mile, it was usually 11-12 for me
    9/12 ........... Rest
    9/13 ..... 3.1 With DH again. It was later at night and we wanted to get it done. We ended up running more like a tempo speed. I threw in a fast (for me) finish thinking, I probably wouldn't be able to run fast for next few weeks after the blood donation...
    9/14 ........... Rest - donated blood today. Will focus on having more iron rich food and hope the run tomorrow would not be too much of a suffering...

Total Miles: 20.1

exercise.png
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    9/1 13 mile run
    9/2 off day
    9/3 23 mile run
    9/4 off day
    9/5 10 mile run
    9/6 15 mile run
    9/7 11.4 mile run
    9/8 20 mile run
    9/9 off day
    9/10 31 mile run
    9/11 off day
    9/12 additional rest day
    9/13 21 mile run
    9/14 36 mile run
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Weather here is very hot and humid, and between that and very high anxiety levels I'm shattered . every part of my body was saying 'don't run, just sit down on the sofa', but I didn't listen because I know I'll feel better for a run, mentally and physically. As is often the case the first mile felt rubbish and I thought this would have to be 3 miles rather than the 5 we planned. Mile 2 felt better and was faster, mile 3 we started talking about one of my anxiety triggers, which of course makes me anxious and knocks my breathing off so we slowed, mile 4 we settled back into a good rhythm but running partners watch had a hissy fit so we lost track of distance and thought we needed to dogleg to reach the 5 so ended up doing 5.5 miles rather that 5. I was struggling with pins and needles in my left leg the last half mile but we made it in 56 mins.

Total this month 16.7
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    9/1 13 mile run
    9/2 off day
    9/3 23 mile run
    9/4 off day
    9/5 10 mile run
    9/6 15 mile run
    9/7 11.4 mile run
    9/8 20 mile run
    9/9 off day
    9/10 31 mile run
    9/11 off day
    9/12 additional rest day
    9/13 21 mile run
    9/14 36 mile run

<3
  • libelulla1
    libelulla1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    9/1 3.0 mi (6mph avg, fastest in months)
    9/4 5.1 mi
    9/5 3.2 mi (sprints)
    9/7 3.1 mi
    9/9 3.2 mi
    9/10 8.0 mi (booya)
    9/12 3.0 mi
    9/13 3.0 mi

Goal: 50 mi
    Total: 31.6 mi
    18.4 to go
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Your heart rate and cadence were going up and down in the same pattern as your pace, so I'm thinking you were having trouble controlling your pace :) I haven't used the pacing feature much on my vivoactive. But I think you have to hold the pace for a bit to get an accurate reading. In other words, you aren't getting instantaneous readings and may be over-adjusting instead of giving yourself time to settle in and hold a pace.

I am going to have to agree with this. I notice many times either when I turn around on my out and back or when I hit my split and I check my watch on the progress of my next mile split, that the pace my 220 gives me right away does not jive to well. Like I am holding an 8:30 pace and I know I am around that, but the Garmin is telling me that my current pace for the split is more like 7:00 or maybe 10:00, but then I look back at it again 20 seconds later and it's back closer to my 8:30 pace.

You mentioned that your range was 10:20-10:40. That's only a difference of 20 seconds. There really is not much of an effort between those two, so any slight increase (or decrease) in your effort could dramatically effect your actual pace.

What helps with a rhythm for me is to sound a beat in my head every time a foot hits the ground and try and sing an appropriate song in my head (or out loud if your bold enough) that would match that rhythm. As your run moves along (and we are talking if you are going more than say 45 minutes or sooner on recovery days) the effort may slightly have to increase to maintain that same pace. But the effort should only be increased in very small amounts. But as @greenolivetree pointed out, if you feel that you need to increase your effort ever so slightly, give your Garmin about 30-60 seconds to adjust the pace to your new effort. And make sure you are using avg pace for splits or what Garmin calls lap pace. On my 220, I have 3 lines of info per screen. On my main screen is Overall Distance Covered, Timer (overall time elapsed), and Lap Pace (avg per split). On my second screen is Cadence, (Overall) Avg Pace, and Heart Rate.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles
    9/7: 4 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/9: Rest day
    9/10: 5.3 miles
    9/11: 13.1 - Via HM
    9/12: 3 miles with the Coffee Crew!
    9/13: 7.9 miles
    9/14: 4.3 miles run commute

Another run commute! It was about 10 degrees warmer when I left work today than when I left yesterday, so I was like, "REALLY, Mother Nature, REALLY?!?" but it was fine. It wasn't humid, so it felt about 10 degrees cooler in the shade, and the miles just kind of flew by because there were so many cars and animals and people to look at. I'll be run commuting back to work tomorrow but tacking on some extra miles for speedwork. This may be a weekly thing since I'll be doing Wed night-Thurs morning back to backs for the next 8-9 weeks or so until I taper for Philly. :)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11 LVHN Via Half-Marathon DONE!
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm Australian, and we say "dodgy" too. I have a workmate whose nickname is "Dodgy".

Haha! You non Americans are so awesome! I've cought myself saying "oi" and "dodgy" but it makes me want dodgy jammers, and timey wimey stuffs.
    @Elise4270 When it comes to local language terms, What ever you do don't buy any Budgie Smuggler Swim Trunks for your DH - @Orphia is LOL right now.

Oh, yes, you know I am...

@juliet3455 haha! Budgie smugglin'! Sounds criminal! I'll have to hit Google for that one. Haha! Oh I love Google!

BWAHAHAHAHA! OH NO!

@louubelle16 Dodgy is used a little here. Your just more likely to hear sketchy for activities or gimpy for an injury. I like it. Reminded me of dodge vehicles... Maybe they're dodgy. The Brits didn't like the US vehicles? (Mines German). No dodgy US auto here. Hahaha!

Now how do I clear my browser on mobile? Rarely see a fella here in anything that shows even their knees!

Hahahahahaha, you did it! Oh dear. Hope you had Safe Search on at least.

I pity you all the pictures of Tony Abbott! :open_mouth: (I don't have to Google, I just know that would happen.)
    Lol, do you guys want to get a real culture shock? In France, most public pools forbid men to wear bermudas, the small tight speedos are the only allowed clothing. Seriously - we once went swimming with a friend from the US, and he was not allowed to go into the water in his shorts, he had to buy one of the little skin-tight ones before he could enter. He said he would never dare to wear this in the US for fear of getting arrested :p

--

@skippygirlsmom The gun-and-yelling incident sounds scary! I'd be afraid to run by that guys house after hearing about it. I hope he won't ever bother you!

@AdrianChr92 Ha ha, the shorts are awesome! I just checked out the offers on runningwarehouse.eu - sadly , those shorts are all too short for me. If they made them in 5inch I'd be the first to buy one, I'm always annoyed that all running shorts seem to be black.

@samthepanda Well done going out for a run instead of sitting on the sofa! Some days it's really hard to get up and go out there, but it's usually worth it!

@Stoshew71 I finally got around to reading your latest blog post. Very interesting! I usually feel better if I get a bit of "active recovery" half a day/a day after a hard run; and I've read a couple of times about the imporatance of the proper refueling shortly after a run, but this was the first time I saw a detailed explanation about why.
    I actually went and ordered myself a book ("Runner's World the Runner's Body"), I'm curious now to learn a little more.

--

All week, I kept waiting for some post-race-soreness to set in, but it never did. I went for a short jog on Sunday night and did some stetching, and I didn't feel a thing riding my bike on Monday, or during my little hill loop on Tuesday. I still kept tonights run much shorter than usual for Wednesdays - partly in the interest of recovery, but also partly because it's finally supposed to get colder tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can do my "midlong midweek run" in more pleasant temperatures.
    The only negative aftermath of the race was a bit of a dehydration headache. I drank a lot of water during the race (2-3 cups at each of the four aid stations), and I ate one gel after ~1 hour. Looking back, it seems kind of obvious that I was missing the electrolytes. For long runs, I always mix a bit of salt into my water (1/4 teaspoon of "regular" salt and "LoSalt" each on 1.5 litres of water seems to be a good ratio), and this mix worked like a charm all through the long hot summer. During the race, I relied solely on the water stations. Lesson learned! For the full in October, I'll either take my hydration pack, or at least a small bottle with "salt water" with me. The headache wasn't too bad, and completely disappeared after a good night's sleep, but I'll still try to avoid it next time.

exercise.png
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    For long runs and long races, give Tailwind Nutrition a try. It works great.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I don't know any American male that would willingly wear those banana hammocks/ man-kinis/budgie smugglers. Wonder what's wrong with the Bermuda shorts. No one wants to see that.

Sounds like you had a great race recovery!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    Options
    For long runs and long races, give Tailwind Nutrition a try. It works great.
    Thanks a lot for the recommandation!
    But usually, I've got my nutrition for long runs figured out - the amount of salt per water I wrote above works great for me, and it's dirt cheap (I'd rather spend my money on running shoes than on electrolyte tabs that contain the same potassium and sodium chloride that I can get for a fraction of the price at the supermarket), and for energy I've now switched to a "diy gel" (half honey, half lime juice) - and sometimes some wine gums for the really (for me) long runs, but that's just because after 3 hours or so, I want something I can chew. Not as convenient as the Tailwind sounds, but I don't need to order stuff online, and it worked nicely for me thus far.
    My mistake this time was relying only on the water provided at the aid stations, because I felt stupid when I thought about carrying my hydration pack around on a race with water stops every 4-5km.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I don't know any American male that would willingly wear those banana hammocks/ man-kinis/budgie smugglers. Wonder what's wrong with the Bermuda shorts. No one wants to see that.
    @Elise4270 I've heard people arguing with the pool people, but always without success. Aparently, they want to ensure the clothing you wear is designed solely for the purpose of swimming - like, if you wear shorts, they can't be sure you weren't already wearing the same shorts to walk around in the sun, or to lay around on the beach or sit on the grass, and now you are carrying sweat and dirt into their nice clean pool. Whereas with the tight-fitting ones, they are reasonable sure that no guy wants to wear them outside the pool :p
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 I've heard people arguing with the pool people, but always without success. Aparently, they want to ensure the clothing you wear is designed solely for the purpose of swimming - like, if you wear shorts, they can't be sure you weren't already wearing the same shorts to walk around in the sun, or to lay around on the beach or sit on the grass, and now you are carrying sweat and dirt into their nice clean pool. Whereas with the tight-fitting ones, they are reasonable sure that no guy wants to wear them outside the pool :p

That makes some sense. I'm sure glad the geriatric population where I swim isn't wearing them. But I guess it'd be the norm, an I'd be okay with it.. Here's there's a sign up saying to wash your behind before you swim at public pools. Soap and showers provided.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    9/12: 0 miles
    9/13: 0 miles
    9/14: 2.55 miles

Two rest days after my weekend of running in Boston. I didn't have time to run due too my work meeting but I also needed the rest. It only got up to about 70 degrees today so it felt really nice. My legs were slow to warm up. I was hoping for more of a fresh legs feeling after two rest days
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - I haven't used the pacing feature much on my vivoactive. But I think you have to hold the pace for a bit to get an accurate reading. In other words, you aren't getting instantaneous readings and may be over-adjusting instead of giving yourself time to settle in and hold a pace.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    And make sure you are using avg pace for splits or what Garmin calls lap pace. On my 220, I have 3 lines of info per screen. On my main screen is Overall Distance Covered, Timer (overall time elapsed), and Lap Pace (avg per split). On my second screen is Cadence, (Overall) Avg Pace, and Heart Rate.

Thanks to both of you! That's very helpful.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - I've never used the pace alert feature on my Garmin. The advice I received from my now co-pace leader, who was pacing 8:00, 8:30, or 9:00 like a metronome years before I could control my pace, was that the beeps drove him nuts and it was better just to look at the pace from time to time. So that's what I do. THBS, it's possible that the newer Garmins have a better pace control feature than the old ones that shaped his opinion.

Today's assignment was 30 minutes easy. I have a twinge in my left calf that bothered me a bit the last few runs, and it was worse this morning. I made the executive decision to take today as a rest day, won't even get 10,000 steps in. Took a hot bath, stretched, and it will do whatever it does. If I have to take tomorrow through Saturday as all rest days, so be it. I'll make that decision on a day by day basis.

The expected acceptance email from BAA arrived this morning. Now I wait to see which of my friends get in. I'm not terribly concerned about anyone who beat the target by 5 minutes or more, but I have no clue how much less than 5 minutes could be considered safe. I'm pretty happy for a couple of older guy club members who BQ'd for the first time at Erie last Sunday. Okay, it was the 2nd BQ for one of them; but his first BQ was only by 8 seconds. He's likely to get in this time, with more than 4 minutes to give. The other guy just missed the 60 year old target, but he's 65 so he has lots of time to spare.
  • ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Woop woop!
    exercise.png

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Squeezed in a 4 mile run after working all night. pace was about 11:45.

I am 5 pages behind on reading all of the posts....will try to catch up this weekend.

Is it too late to work on my base before the next half marathon race....reading "80/20 running"...on chapter 4.

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles
    9/9....6 miles...
    9/10....4 miles
    9/11...9 miles.
    9/14....4 miles....total 33 miles. Almost half-way to goal at 70 miles.

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/17

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I don't know if I am going to be able to catch up with all of the posts this month I am now so far behind!
    Today was the first run for me since Saturday and after 20+ hours of travel time in 2 days plus sitting in client meetings all day yesterday, I was ready to get a run in. I wanted to keep it slow, easy and mellow but what my body wanted was to just go, go, go!

Now I am getting ready to head to Seattle on Saturday to run the Beat the Blerch HM on Sunday with my daughter and it should be fun other than it is supposed to rain. We are staying an extra night by the race area to visit lavender farms and wineries and then we both need to work a couple of days (she is starting her residency training). On Thursday we are taking the ferry to Victoria, BC for a few days of relaxing and seeing the sights and then I head home again. Hopefully when I get home things will be quiet and back to a somewhat normal routine for a while! Somewhere in there I am hoping to be all caught up here! :smiley:

I started reading a book on my trip by Matt Fitzgerald called Racing Weight that is very interesting. It seems to be focused on more elite endurance runners than what I would consider myself but maybe I will see that it is applicable to more average people as I get more into it. It is a lot about eating enough and fueling your runs/workouts, not counting calories but measuring/scoring the nutritive value of what you eat based on some basic guidelines, and also the timing of what you eat. Pretty interesting stuff and he has don tons of research looking at big studies, etc.

Date.........Miles........Total
    09/01.......5.23.........5.23 + Strength training and Rally
    09/02.......4.67.........9.90 - SLOG Run
    09/03.......0.00.........9.90 - Rest
    09/04.....13.87.......23.77
    09/05.......5.75.......29.52 - Recovery because it was too lovely out not to go.
    09/06.......4.39.......33.91 + Strength training
    09/07.......0.00.......33.91 - Rest
    09/08.......5.32.......39.23 + Strength training and Rally
    09/09.......0.00.......39.23
    09/10.......6.34.......45.57 + Agility trial
    09/11.......0.00.......45.57 + Agility trial
    09/12.......0.00.......45.57 - Travel
    09/13.......0.00.......45.57 - Travel
    09/14.......4.46.......50.03

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    1 September 5.2km run
    2 September 3km swim
    3 September 2.7km swim
    4 September 3.3km swim
    5 September 2.6km swim
    6 September 6.2km run
    7 September 2.9km swim
    8 September rest day
    9 September 5.3km treadmill run
    10 September 2.7km swim
    11 September 5.46km run
    12 September 2.8km swim
    13 September 5.1km run
    14 September ZUU training (everything hurts today!)
    15 September 6.2km run

Running total 33.46km
    Swimming total 20km

Running goal 40km
    Swimming goal 40km