I sure dont feel 45 pounds thinner

Options
Ilovepeppers
Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
I'll keep this short.I've lost 45 pounds and although others seem to notice a difference, I kinda don't. I mean, clothes fit better but... I still feel very fat.

Could this be because I had a lot of weight to lose to begin with? Or because I'm tall (5'9)? I've gone from 245 to 200. Will I notice a more dramatic difference as I work toward my next goal of 175? I'm not sure if this is the right section, so please forgive me, but I'm looking for input/experiences as I'm feeling a little discouraged.

Replies

• alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 (183-160). Since you see the changes everyday they aren't as noticable to you. For me there was one day that I walked past the mirror in the locker room and thought - "who is that, oh it's me."
    I often still wonder if I have really accomplished anything, because I still see myself as being fat. Looking at pictures of before and after can be helpful also.
  • jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I can sure see it in your photos!! I'm sure you'll start to feel it more as time goes on. For the time being be happy that clothes fit better, other people see it and you're a lot healthier!
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think we all feel that way, just because we see ourselves every day and don't notice the little changes, but others who don't see us every day notice. :)
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cover up the full length mirrors in my house unless I'm gettin ready for a big night out, so I don't stare at myself every day. Then when you do look in the mirror you'll deffo notice the difference (:
  • Taliko
    Taliko Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I think i'd lost 10 lbs maybe... when I asked how I looked I had a friend (now EX friend) tell me, "Nobody notices when you take a couple buckets of water out of the ocean."

She was a **** lol.

However, in my experience, the farther along you get the more difference a few lbs seems to make. Even if you're not noticing so much of a change now, stick with it! You'll get to that point I swear it!!

I might add that even though i've gone from a size 16 to a size 6 there are still days I feel like I look horrible, sometimes one's perception of ones self isn't always realistic. I'm sure you look fantastic.

Stick with it. Don't be discouraged! Good luck!
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", started at 250, and I'm at 210 now. I know exactly how you feel, because I feel similar! I can see a difference, but I guess I thought 40 pounds would make a HUGE difference! Other people notice now, but it took about 25 pounds before there was even a hint that people could see a difference. I75 is the weight I was for most of my adult life up until about 4 years ago, when I ballooned, so I know that I look MUCH different at 175 than I do now at 210.

Hang in there! I think you'll start to feel it soon. I think the smaller you get the more difference a little weight makes!! regardless, I think you look wonderful!! You've done a great job, and you should be proud of that!
  • jowans2004
    jowans2004 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Maybe now that you've lost weight, your expectations are higher? I have lost weight, but I am always striving to improve as my standards go higher and I am able to do more. Do you also do strength training? If you only do cardio, you end up with a smaller version of your previous body...strength training helps to shape it up and make it tighter. Good job on the initial weight loss, you are definitely headed in the right direction...how about looking at some of your before and after pics? Oftentimes we are ignorant of our progress, and pictures help to make it clear that you have made some changes. If you were overweight for a while, your mind is probably stuck at that time period..I know for myself since I was overweight most of my life and still felt fat and uncomfortable yet I was definitely in a different body. Mind and body need to come together..it takes time, you can do it.
  • merriemouse
    Options
    I think it is common to run up against that, since we may always see ourselves the day our brain took a photograph and said "Holy *kitten*, I'm fat". Told my husband just the other day that now, after losing 32 pounds, I am within five pounds of the first time years ago that I thought I was fat at this weight. All relative. Keep up the good work. This site will help you get there. Love it. Good job!
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same ways most days. I too have lost just over 45 pounds and still feel fat. I was one who never quite understood how people who lost a lot of weight and look fabulous can say they still feel and look fat to themself, until now. I think it is a mental thing. I KNOW that I've lost weight...my clothes are proof. I can mow the yard now and not feel like I'm going to die. I FEEL healthier, however I still see fat. Mentally I have to learn that I'm not fat anymore. Yes, I still have a ways to go before I hit my goal, but I'm getting there.
    One thing I've done to help me out, is I have posted a picture of me at my heaviest next to a recent picture of me. This helps as a visual reminder that I am getting thinner and I'm not the puffy blob that I used to be :laugh:
    Good luck!! Keep your chin up and keep on going! BTW, you do look GREAT! It shows in your pictures!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I still see a chunker in the mirror even though I look a lot better than I did! Yesterday someone said "wow you just keep getting so skinny" and actually Im up like 6 lbs!! I think its going to take a long long time to see youself as you actually are! No longer fat!!
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey! I understand what it is like to want to "feel thin", but chasing after a feeling is sort of unhealthy (like anorexics want to "feel thin", too). I know you want to lose weight, but maybe you should just make daily goals, like calorie or new exercise hobbies your high point. I understand that "feeling thin" is something you want, but you have to realize thin and confident is not always synonymous and I think what you really want is to feel confident. Work on feeling "confident" by doing things that really matter so when you are thin, you don't have to play catch up with your self-esteem. However, I bet you look great now and there are a lot of people (including me) who are proud of you. So hopefully, you will get to the point that if you reach your daily calorie and exercise goal, you will feel "great", no matter what. Write down a list of things that make you feel great, in the meantime. Hope this helps.
  • ZenMomentum
    ZenMomentum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Peppers,

You look awesome keep it up. Our own perception of our bodies can be very misleading. Trust the compliments you are getting. From your photos I can definitely tell you are loosing weight. Keep doing what your doing. Continue to eat nutritiously and exercise. Keep being honest. Have faith in the plan. Above all, don't listen to your inner-pessimist!

--Dave
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow i feel the same exact way! i also lost 45lbs and still feel fat i went from a sze 18 /20 to size 12/14 evertone tells me how great i look and im fine where im at now i just dont see it you look great good luck!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Okay. Go to the supermarket and pick up 45 pounds' worth of potatoes (the bags usually work). That would be about what you have lost, probably both in size and in weight.

Amazing, isn't it?
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Omg, you are preaching to the choir! Like you, I've lost [40] pounds and I can't tell. Like you, again, I'm 5'9", others notice, clothes no longer fit, etc. but I just feel it should feel and look more obvious in the mirror! All I can suggest is to keep up what you're doing and you'll eventually get to your goal and then it'll be obvious to yourself.

But again, I 1000 percent feel the exact way you do. Add me! :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. When I look in the mirror, I still see a fat girl. Occasionally I'll notice my waist is a little smaller, but I've still got a huge belly, thighs, and arms. I can't wait for the day where I can say without a doubt I look different!
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel the same way! I think you're right on both counts-- being taller (I'm 5'10") and starting very heavy (I started over 300lbs) both affect it. As a tall person, each pound looks like less because it is stretched out along a bigger surface.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can tell in that picture you have lost weight. Your face is so much thinner. I have only lost 17 lbs and don't see it either YET. My rings are a bit looser. My husband tells me I am more toned looking but I have a long ways to go.
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel somewhat and it sucks :C

But don't get discouraged! I haven't seen a dramatic change yet but the other night I turned off the main light in my room and the lamp on my bedstand was still on and it threw shadows across my chest and I could see my collarbones! That is a FIRST! I don't mean they stick out dramatically but they used to be completely hidden in fat ;D I've also gone down a pants size so even if I can't see it, the evidence is overwhelming ;)

There's probably a lot of little things you don't see. Keep at it! I think you're probably right that the results will be more dramatic now that you've hit 200 :)

p.s. I see a big difference in your face from your profile before/after pic! It's much slimmer!
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You CAN see it in your pictures! I think it's like someone else already said, you are seeing yourself daily so not noticing the change. Good for you! Keep it up, you will start to see it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!