Are all "diets" really just a way to reduce calories in the end?

Low Carb
Paleo
Vegetarian
Vegan
Meal Replacements
Weight Watchers
Etc. Etc. Etc.

I get that people adhere to certain diets for specific and personal reasons, but if we are just strictly talking weight loss, are all "diets" just different ways of reducing calories?

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    yes
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Yes
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Yes

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Yes...all diets "work" on the same premise...energy deficiency...
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited September 2016
    I would say that being vegetarian and vegan are more of a lifestyle than a diet for most people who follow them. I don't know about the rest.

But you're talking weight and calories here, not the other personal reasons. You can easily be a fat vegetarian (raises hand!! raises hand!!). I gained a ton of weight slurping down Greek yogurts, chips, popcorn, etc.

Also, many of these "diets" tackle other health problems, not just being overweight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Yes

However vegan and vegetarian do not equate to weightloss, and really shouldn't be included in that list. They are more ethical choice (especially vegan).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Veganism is an ethical position on unnecessary animal exploitation. Some people find their overall calorie consumption is reduced when they stop eating animal products. Others eat about the same amount. Some people even gain weight because they wind up eating more calories.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Low Carb
    Paleo
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Meal Replacements
    Weight Watchers
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

I get that people adhere to certain diets for specific and personal reasons, but if we are just strictly talking weight loss, are all "diets" just different ways of reducing calories?

No, reducing calories is reducing calories. A certain way of eating may help an individual with controlling their intake in general, but it's not specific to weight loss. A person can eat a low carb or paleo diet while losing weight, and then continue to eat that way while maintaining or trying to gain weight. It's a personal preference which allows a person to reach their individual goals in a way that is manageable for them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Definitely! The only difference is that different weight loss diets explore different sets of tools to make that calorie reduction easier to achieve.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    No, you can gain weight eating all of those types of ways. The only way to lose weight (excluding surgery) is to eat less than you burn, how you chose to do that, and what types of food you eat are up to you.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    I think "diets" are often advertised with the emphasis on food control or supplement so companies like Nutrisystem and WW or even just the "diet food" industry in general can make more $$. The main benefit is the guess work is taken away. However, there is usually mention of an activity plan for "best results", its just not the main gig. For people like me who hate to "exercise" I would much rather focus on the controlled calorie deficit. However, in my personal experience, following one and not the other often does not get you want you really want.
  • honeybee739
    honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
    I can't believe I forgot "CLEAN" eating.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Vegetarian and vegan are for ethical reasons and weightloss is not the goal and has nothing to do.

Weight Watchers is the only diet in your list which boils down to eating lower calories. But even with it it still depends how much you burn.
    You can eat low carb, paleo, meal replacement etc and aim at maintanance, so no they are not inherently low calorie.
  • janejellyroll
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Vegetarian and vegan are for ethical reasons and weightloss is not the goal and has nothing to do.

Weight Watchers is the only diet in your list which boils down to eating lower calories. But even with it it still depends how much you burn.
    You can eat low carb, paleo, meal replacement etc and aim at maintanance, so no they are not inherently low calorie.

I believe that Weight Watchers also has programs to help you maintain your weight.
  • honeybee739
    honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
    Some people do eat vegetarian or vegan as a way to control weight. MOST people decide for ethical reasons, but not all. As mentioned in my original post, I am talking STRICTLY weight loss. Not factoring in any other reasoning behind subscribing to a specific style of eating.
  • janejellyroll
    Some people do eat vegetarian or vegan as a way to control weight. MOST people decide for ethical reasons, but not all. As mentioned in my original post, I am talking STRICTLY weight loss. Not factoring in any other reasoning behind subscribing to a specific style of eating.

I think you're referring to a plant-based diet, as vegans would also avoid things like wearing fur or leather or animal products in health or beauty items. There is no weight control benefit to avoiding those items.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Low Carb
    Paleo
    Vegetarian
    Vegan
    Meal Replacements

Weight Watchers
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

Yes all diets to "lose weight" are a way to personally adhere to eating fewer calories than you burn

Just as all diets to gain or maintain are a way to adhere to a different calorie equation

It's not complicated or up for discussion really. If you are working effectively towards your weight goal you are managing your calories in against your calories out, no matter how you choose to do it

You can follow any of those ways of eating in bold strictly and not achieve your specific goals in weight management because only WW in that list has a portion size element. Of course by adhering to one of the diets you may naturally select lower calorie, more sating foods
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Some people may eat a vegetarian or vegan diet with care and attention to overall calories, unconsciously or consciously to hit a weight goal. But the diets are not intrinsically low calorie and there enough fat vegetarians to prove that point