Insulin resistance and protein

Options
I went to the Dr about 3 years ago and was following a plan of trying to keep your insulin levels even with no spikes. I was losing weight slower than my husband and he felt it was from the insulin being high. He advised us to always have a protein when you eat carbs. My question is, should I buy protein powder to put in the fruit smoothies? I was eating walnuts but they are high in calories.

Replies

• LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure to be honest but I'll be interested to see what others say! I have Insulin Resistance too due to my PCOS!
    Good luck!
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    You can put protein in shakes - It works great for post workout recovery, tastes great too.
    Walnuts are good energy - just not too much ;)
    How are you measuring your insulin? If you drastically reduce sugar/flour you'll have little spiking, heck you may not have hardly any insulin - I don't.
    Are you pre-diabetic? I've seen folks restrict carbs to veggies and fruits do well ( a la Dr Bernstien) www.diabetes-book.com/
    I love his work.
  • carolyndowdy
    carolyndowdy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yes I am insulin resistant. Which is pre diabetes. trying to avoid it.
  • 4KidFather
    Options
    Urgh, that's too bad but there is a lot you can do as you know. Find a doctor who is SUCCESSFUL at reversing insulin resistance - there's quite a few and not just your usual 'public health' clinician.
    Avoid sugar like the plague -even in tropical and 'modern' engineered fruit (yes, many modern apple varieties are simply candy bars LOL)
    Stick to lower glycemic load foods, lean meats, seafood, veggies. I'm sure yo know the drill. We just did this with a child we were nervous about regarding type 1. So far so good.
    Ironically all 6 of us avoid sugar, flour and too many carbs anyways - works great for some kids moods too. Many folks assume because we don;t eat ice cream, cakes, buns donuts etc that we are on a 'special diet' he he he

"let food be your medicine" hippocrates I think - Not the other way around :)
  • carolyndowdy
    carolyndowdy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my goal. trying to learn to live without flour is a hard thing. After years of abuse of them it is a addiction I'm trying to overcome. I would be happy if I would just eat clean 5 or 6 day but it is a big change and a hard one.
  • irdietinfo
    irdietinfo Posts: 29
    Options
    Hey there, I agree with what has been said about getting the white flour out of your diet (and potatoes, they're very high GI) but you will be amazed at how your appetite will be controlled when you get more protein instead. The whey protein powder is a godsend for me. if you want to learn more about insulin resistance I have a website with lots of articles I've written about it, and a Facebook page (look for the links on my blog on here). Lots of people have insulin resistance but most will be able to reverse it with diet and lifestyle changes. I didn't think I could do low carb, but it's much easier than I imagined it would be.
  • polarduke
    polarduke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One thing that should help with overcoming an addiction to sugar and starchy carbs (bread, rice, pasta - which all turn into blood sugar) is to replace these calories mostly with fat. After much research on this subject, I've finally accepted that fat does not make you fat, but sugar and starch does. And it all goes back to insulin. In order to avoid the blood sugar spikes and rush of insulin, comprise your lunches and dinners of meats (any kind is ok, but grass-fed if beef) and salad and green vegetables. Breakfast can be eggs (2-3) and bacon (2-3), or similar. 3 eggs and 3 bacon strips (no-nitrate uncured) is only about 320 calories! And you will feel full for hours.

Fatty protein is as satiating, if not more, than eating a bunch of starch and fiber. After 1-2 weeks of difficulty, you will get over the cravings for carbs (sugar) and start to get a rush of energy as your body begins burning the fat (ketosis burns body fat stores, not protien in muscles).

I also have insulin resistance and am pre-diabetic but have experience all of this. After the few days of your blood sugar leveling off with no spikes you will feel great, guarenteed! Two books on the subject that are awesome are: 1) "Why we get fat and what to do about it" but Gary Taubes (he goes into great, easy-to-understand detail about how our bodies work related to carbs and insulin) and 2) "Trick and Treat" by Barry Groves.
    If you read these one or both of these books, it will open your eyes... It did mine! Best wishes on your successful program!
  • delidot
    delidot Posts: 12
    Options
    I too am insulin resistant and am following an eating plan with no sugar or flour...just lean fish and poultry, old fashion oatmeal,low carbohydrate veggies and fruits and low or no fat dairy products. In two weeks all my desire for high calorie carbs has totally disappeared.

My energy level has increased dramatically so it is easier to exercise. I feel wonderful and think that I can live with this way of eating long term.
  • polarduke
    polarduke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    delidot,
    Studies show that consuming eggs leads to greater weight loss. I would recommend trying to replace your oatmeal (which will spike your blood sugar) with eggs and bacon in the morning. Also, you may want to limit fruit to one per day, as the fructose is still sugar. Yes, some say 'good' sugar, but a banana has 29g of sugar...
    It's great that you have eliminated flour. If you have dairy, PLEASE do not use low-fat, as it elimates the healthy fat and still has all the sugar. Either whole milk, cottage cheese (full fat), or full fat Greek yogurt are excellent snacks to keep you full. Just watch the portions because of the sugar in them.
  • trimfitness
    Options
    i am nurse and if you eat at least 10 grams of protein and less than 30 grams of carbohydrates with meals and snacks that helps keep your blood sugars up. You need to eat at least every 4 hours and no more. Keep your calories up..most people eat low calories and your body goes into starvation mode...i increase the calories for my fitness pal and eat around 1450-1500 and also do some sort of exercise weather it is walking, going to gym or class. hopes this helps. when you buy protein look at the sugar. i eat around 100 grams of protein a day,, with fish, chicken, and add protein powder. Look at the sugar in the protein powders. some of them of full of sugar...i use advocare protein shakes:smile:
  • 4KidFather
    Options
    Ooh some good stuff on this thread!
    Focus on going cold turkey for at least 2 weeks preferably 4. Throw out that garbage! Focus on the sugar and flour - and potentially cows milk, especially processed reduced fat stuff for sure.
    I went cold turkey grain free in solidarity with my daughter and have NEVER looked back. Her gut issues resolved in TWO WEEKS, mood even improved. I also got rid of sinus congestion and seasonal allergies I've battled for 18 yrs.

Go all out for a few weeks and take it from there.
    You've nothing to loose -except adipose tissue :)

ps I get LOTS of my energy Fat (not industrial oils) - and my lipid profile is great.
  • irdietinfo
    irdietinfo Posts: 29
    Options
    Hey Carolyn,

How are you going? Did you buy any whey protein yet?

Don't be discouraged by the slow weight loss (mine is very slow!); as long as it does come off, it's all good.

My best advice: for every meal you want to have protein and include veggies or salad whenever you can. Go for a walk at least every 48 hours and just start reading labels to see the carb/sugar content in everything. Make a conscious effort to identify starch in all its forms and learn to use substitutes.