Eating one meal a day is healthy way to lose fat?

Options
13»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    So much taken out of context in this discussion. There is an IF protocol that is basically one large meal per day. I believe it's the warrior diet. As long as you are getting adequate calories in that meal, it is perfectly fine, if it suits you. I follow the 16:8 IF protocol and eat 2x per day, because it's simple and effective. I eat this whether I need to lose, gain or maintain. Different eating patterns work for different people and IF has gained a lot of popularity because it works for a lot of people. Although people follow it and are just fine, the old thinking of eating 5-6 or more small meals a day has long since been tossed into the bro-science files.

^This. I follow IF, use the same 16:8 window, and tend to eat 3-4 smaller meals within that window because I'm more of a grazer. I still stick to a calorie limit though, and watch my nutrition (macro and micro nutrients).

I'm concerned, OP, with the idea of "eating whatever you want". The idea of eating once a day isn't a problem. Calorie control will still matter if you want to lose weight. Meal timing is irrelevant. The calorie content of what you eat isn't, though. Sorry, there's no magic to meal timing, except that it might help regulate your hunger levels.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    JdMcCoy82 wrote: »
    dumping a large meal in your system is a bad idea. your telling your body, well heres your allowed food for the day.... body will say oh ok dont know when ill get more so im going to store this.
    I would encourage your to eat smaller meals 5 times a day, this way your keeping your body fueled all day and its constantly processing.
    But thats just my pov.

This is rooted in the starvation mode myth. It is not true.

Starvation mode isn't real but it is basically an attempt to explain metabolic thermal regulation which is real. Again, this phenomenon is closely correlated with the intensity, type, frequency and duration of exercise as well as the proximity of that exercise with the consumption of food (particularly carbohydrates).

All science aside, it is easy to appreciate that the people with the largest amounts of muscle mass and the lowest amounts of fat are bodybuilders. Most bodybuilders (and pretty much all of the pro bodybuilders) eat several small meals a day. It may be soaked with "broscience" but it undeniably works. Even scientific researchers will recognize that methods derived from anecdotal evidence are often times ahead of the scientific curve. Basically, as much as we think we know, there are mounds and mounds of things we do not know. So follow what works regardless of what you see on paper because in the end, results are the only things that really matter.
    It's soaked in "broscience". The majority of bodybuilders eat that way because they just like to eat for mass. Eating small meals 6 times a day kept me ALWAYS pretty full to put on mass. Eating just 3 times a day of "clean" food would require a huge volume if your intake required 4000+ calories to put on mass. And that's all bodybuilder want to do unless their in prep stage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kge3638 wrote: »
    So long as that one meal contains enough calories to meet your entire daily goal, sure. But I suspect that your friend's meal does not. What would your one meal consist on?

Literally what i want. Last night was steak and strawberry cheese cake and the day before, white pizza and tomato pasta.
    When I eat dinner, feel sooooo happy cuz i don't care calories and can eat anything.
    Also lost 2.2lbs in 3days.
    But wonder it's healthy to keep this meal or not.

How much protein, fat, fiber & micronutrients were in that one meal? Most people can't find a complete balance in one meal.

Calories are key for weight loss. Eat less than your body burns. Macros (protein, fat & carbs) and micros (vitamins, etc) are key for nutrition, health & well being.

You just started, so the 2.2 pounds (in 3 days) is mostly water weight. When we lose weight we lose fat + water + lean muscle mass. But weight loss will slow down to a normal pace. If you aren't getting a minimum number of calories you are risking a higher percentage of lean muscle loss. So you need to care about calories.....whether it's one meal or 5 meals. Healthy weight loss is moderate paced weight loss.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    So long as that one meal contains enough calories to meet your entire daily goal, sure. But I suspect that your friend's meal does not. What would your one meal consist on?

Literally what i want. Last night was steak and strawberry cheese cake and the day before, white pizza and tomato pasta.
    When I eat dinner, feel sooooo happy cuz i don't care calories and can eat anything.

Everyone seems concerned that you may not be getting ENOUGH calories by eating only one meal a day. But, if you are not logging what you are eating in that one meal, you could easily go OVER your calories. Pizza, pasta, cheesecake add up really quickly depending on how much of it you are eating. If your one meal a day is 3000 calories....
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My friend told me about eating one meal a day.
    one black coffee for breakfirst and lunch.
    At dinner I can eat anything I want.
    more than 3l water a day.
    one hour jogging-burns 300kcal.
    cuz of black coffee I can stand on before dinner.
    And it works! also my firend lose fat quite a lot.
    But.. Not sure it's healthy way to lose fat.
    What's your opinion?

TL;DR comments

This won't work. You can't eat whatever you want. If you only eat one meal a day you have to be very detailed on what you eat to make sure you get all the macros and nutrient you need in a day. Imagine eating that much protein, fat, and fiber in one meal. I don't see how it would be possible to eat a full meal and get everything from that one meal and be able to finish it.

There are no magic bullets to weight loss. It takes work, discipline and time.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    dumping a large meal in your system is a bad idea. your telling your body, well heres your allowed food for the day.... body will say oh ok dont know when ill get more so im going to store this.
    I would encourage your to eat smaller meals 5 times a day, this way your keeping your body fueled all day and its constantly processing.
    But thats just my pov.

Starvation mode isn't real but it is basically an attempt to explain metabolic thermal regulation which is real. Again, this phenomenon is closely correlated with the intensity, type, frequency and duration of exercise as well as the proximity of that exercise with the consumption of food (particularly carbohydrates).

All science aside, it is easy to appreciate that the people with the largest amounts of muscle mass and the lowest amounts of fat are bodybuilders. Most bodybuilders (and pretty much all of the pro bodybuilders) eat several small meals a day. It may be soaked with "broscience" but it undeniably works. Even scientific researchers will recognize that methods derived from anecdotal evidence are often times ahead of the scientific curve. Basically, as much as we think we know, there are mounds and mounds of things we do not know. So follow what works regardless of what you see on paper because in the end, results are the only things that really matter.
    It's soaked in "broscience". The majority of bodybuilders eat that way because they just like to eat for mass. Eating small meals 6 times a day kept me ALWAYS pretty full to put on mass. Eating just 3 times a day of "clean" food would require a huge volume if your intake required 4000+ calories to put on mass. And that's all bodybuilder want to do unless their in prep stage.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They will still eat that way when in prep for a show and will drop massive amounts of weight.

When I stopped losing weight on 3 meals a day (and my calories were starting to get too low for my size, activity level and training goals) I consulted with some bodybuilders that I know who recommended I split up my calories into more meals. Since I have done that I have lost 17lbs and my performance has been much better on the mat and in the weight room. That was 6 weeks ago, btw. It was a game changer for me. So you can slam it all you want. The technique delivered for me.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Timing of meals is just as important as macros and calories for losing fat.

Eating 1 meal a day might work for some people but it definitely is not optimal.

I have recently started eating a small meal every 2 hours or so (keeping my food choices, macros and calories the same) and have started losing fat much more quickly than before.

I have to disagree. Timing of meals has almost negligible importance compared to calories.

That is true in sedentary individuals.

Consider: Eating modulates insulin/leptin/ghrelin secretion and, subsequently, resistance. So does exercise (along with other anabolic and/or catabolic chemical pathways. Most notably glycolysis, protein coupling/uncoupling, satellite cell activation and the M-Tor pathway). So, eating in such a way that the two can have a synergistic effect can increase fat loss and increase muscle mass gain greater than if they those modulating effects conflict with one another.

OP mentioned exercise in her post so I gave an appropriate answer for someone who is exercising.

With respect to the hunger hormones, if you are able to stick to your calorie goals, in effect, they don't matter. The hunger hormones affect adherence, which is no small thing, but given that the OPs CI is less than CO, she'll lose weight.

That is patently false. These hormones, particularly insulin, are anabolic hormones. Insulin is even more anabolic than most anabolic/androgenic steroids! And thus plays a huge role in nutrient partitioning. Also, selective upregulation of membrane insulin receptors can largely determine if nutrients are used for repairing muscle tissue or if they are stored as fat.
    Well let's be honest here. Yes insulin is more anabolic, but it's not because you're gaining more muscle from it. Insulin will increase how much fat you gain, which is anabolic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Insulin's main physiologic purpose is to shuttle sugar into muscle cells. You can gain a lot of muscle using insulin. Administering exogenous insulin for purposes of building muscle is dangerous but it is a very effective way to build muscle. Hence, it is part of many people's AAS cycles.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

How much protein, fat, fiber & micronutrients were in that one meal? Most people can't find a complete balance in one meal.

Calories are key for weight loss. Eat less than your body burns. Macros (protein, fat & carbs) and micros (vitamins, etc) are key for nutrition, health & well being.

You just started, so the 2.2 pounds (in 3 days) is mostly water weight. When we lose weight we lose fat + water + lean muscle mass. But weight loss will slow down to a normal pace. If you aren't getting a minimum number of calories you are risking a higher percentage of lean muscle loss. So you need to care about calories.....whether it's one meal or 5 meals. Healthy weight loss is moderate paced weight loss.

This. If all you ate at your one meal was steak and strawberry cheese cake, you did not meet your requirements for many nutrients, among them Vits. A, E, and K, and also fiber.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals is just as important as macros and calories for losing fat.

Eating 1 meal a day might work for some people but it definitely is not optimal.

I have recently started eating a small meal every 2 hours or so (keeping my food choices, macros and calories the same) and have started losing fat much more quickly than before.

Not necessarily...

44a0mezxl9il.jpg

• sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you are getting enough nutrition, the number of meals has nothing to do with anything. Just like "meal timing" and eating a bunch of meals doesn't do anything but keep food in your stomach all day. I've done 6 meals or more a day, 3 meals, 2 meals EVEN 1 meal with an all day fast. My results were pretty damn close. Eat 1 meal, eat 10 meals, whatever works and gets you to your goal the healthiest way.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've thought about eating one meal a day, but the thought of having to eat 7-9 servings of vegetables/fruit in one meal...that would be extremely uncomfortable for me due to the bulk. I could easily get enough calories in one meal, but not in a balanced way.
  • khd75
    khd75 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Everybody seems to be questioning IF for two reasons:
    1. You won't be getting enough calories or you won't get the right portions of nutrients. It doesn't matter, if you eat 10 times a day or just once, you'll have to take the same consideration for the food. In my experience, it is must easy to get the right amount of nutrients and enough calories in one or two big satisfying meals than adding up bits and bytes all day long.
    2. It is not sustainable. You'll be feeling bad or miserable during your fasting time period. My experience is different here as well. Your body trains very well to what ever habits you're trying to achieve. Eating once is no different. Body adopts to this routine in 2/3 weeks, and you no longer feel bad, week, hungry or anything at all. You actually feel better and more AWAKE during your fasting time. Once you're used to of this new routine, it is more sustainable than anything else. I no longer need to pack and bring food to my work place.

• FranSilverPT
    FranSilverPT Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just to contribute to the IF based discussion...

IF works great for fat loss as long as consideration is taken for overall kcal intake. Also, research would suggest that as a dietary structure, IF can allow someone to stay in deficit even with ad libitum feeding periods. However, it doesn't suit everyone and care should still be taken to maintain performance, even if that's just with an arbitrary measure of your gym training.

IF isn't great for maintaining performance and some consideration should be taken to ensure overall protein intake is also adequate to preserve muscle tissue. For this reason, a modified fast with small protein doses is often seen as an optimal IF set up (protein sparing modified fasts).
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    But thats just my pov.

Actually quite a few bodybuilder follow intermittent fasting and do their lifting in a fasted state. Doesn't seem to being hurting their progress. Research shows that multiple smalls a day do not make a significant difference. It still comes down to CICO.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The biggest concern I would have is the ability to get adequate nutrition with only one meal, especially protein.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

As someone who said upthread that it would be fine as long as you're hitting your calorie and nutrition goals, the diet you describe here doesn't sound like it's hitting your nutrition goals. You'd be missing out on important vitamins & minerals eating like this long term.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Three questions:
    1. What is your one meal?
    2. When are you eating it?
    3. How big is it?
    Generally speaking, you're better off eating smaller meals throughout the day vs. one large one. Sooner or later you're going to put your body into starvation mode where it's going to hang onto every calorie from the last meal, not knowing when it'll be replenished next. That's easy to do when you only eat once a day.
    Nope, nope, nope. Time and time again, you've been informed that starvation mode is a myth, yet you choose to spout the misinformation everywhere you post. Also, meal timing is irrelevant... Going by what you said, anorexics should be obese.
    But thats just my pov.
    Nope, not a thing. How do anorexics lose weight if the body 'stores' fat with reduced calories or one meal a day?