1200 calorie diet

Options
My doc has told me to start a 1200 cal diet. I found out I'm pretty diabetic. feel like is very small amount. Of course sitting at 223 and would love be down 160. Is it possible on low calorie diet as this not hangry?.

Replies

• stephsbuns
    stephsbuns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I meant pre diabetic
  • melinabreault
    melinabreault Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked your doctor said such a low amount...I heard from a cousin who works as a...nutritionist? Something like that. She said no adult should consume less than 1400 calories a day. Anything less, she said, is dangerous and can really mess with your body in negative ways.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1200 calories (before exercise) is a default minimum for women. This is based on meeting nutritional minimums. Depending on your height, weight, age & activity level this may or may not be a good number for you. I'm guessing not (very petite or elderly).

Google your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This is maintenance. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Choose to lose no more than 1.5 pounds per week (TDEE less 750 calories). 2 pounds a week is for those with more than 75 pounds to lose. You want to pick a calorie goal that you can live with for awhile. Being comfortable will help prevent binges.

Staying full - protein, fat & fiber. This is a different combination for different people. Some people can eat fat free fiberous foods & stay full - not me. Others can stay full on fat free protein - not me. Drink plenty of water yo make sure you aren't just thirsty (instead of actual hunger).

If you plug your stats into MFP (My Fitness Pal) - you will get a calorie deficit without exercise calories. When you log exercise, MFP will give you additional calories. This is the difference between TDEE & MFP numbers.
  • LittleFungus
    LittleFungus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    MFP only let to eat 1200 for me too.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    1200 is a very aggressive goal - I'd suggest entering your stats in to the MFP app and work with the number given there. Remember, you can eat back a good 50% of exercise calories too! 1200 is the absolute minimum recommended for women. I'm 5ft2 and was once 121 lbs and even then 1200 was very, very low for me (I did exercise a lot however). Good luck :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options
    I netted 1250 cal for my first 16 weeks, then upped it to 1350 cal for my second 16 weeks.

Netting that amount means that I exercise a lot and probably actually ate around 1500 cal.

BTW - MFP put me at 1250 at first, then dropped me to 1200 after a couple weeks. I manually upped it back to 1250.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Honestly, I would talk to a dietician. MDs have minimal training in weight loss and diet and at least a dietician can give you some ideas to help you from becoming hangry (love that term lol). Agree that 1200 is very aggressive. I would set a goal on MFP for 1 pound loss per week. Weigh your food. Log everything with correct entries (no Homemade or generic). Drink at least 64oz water. Cook/prepare most (if not all) of your meals. Weight loss will happen with a caloric deficit and patience. Foods that can help with hunger - higher protein (lean meat, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, beans, eggs) will keep you feeling fuller longer. High fiber foods too (fruits/vegetables) also help with satiety. Hope this helps and feel free to add for support!
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

While there are doctor's that are knowledgeable re: weight loss, there are plenty more that are ridiculously under qualified to give weight loss advice. 1200 is a DEFAULT.

Why accept that lowest minimum number at face value? What is the harm in figuring out how many calories fit your height, weight, age, and activity level? Eating at a huge deficit makes it harder to support existing lean muscle mass. I choose to eat more because I want more fat loss.

A 120 calorie can of soup isn't lunch. It's a snack.

Really? Because I was completely full and content for hours, and sometimes couldn't even finish the soup and would save the rest for later. It worked great for me, regardless of whether you consider it a snack or meal.

I just don't think we should fight with medical professionals. 1200 calories leaves you hungry sometimes, but it's not unsafe. If they recommended she eat 600, I would question it. Different opinions are different opinions. But I think the demonizing of doctors is overrated.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would get a 2nd opinion. Did your doctor say for how long you had to eat that way or anything else about the diet, other then you have to met 1200 kcal?

No matter what, I would also talk with at dietitian that has experience with diabetes and pre-diabetes plus weight loss, nutritionists are quacks.

Dietitians work alone or with doctors to help treat conditions such as diabetes and obesity. Although they are sometimes confused with nutritionists, dietitians receive more specific training, including a bachelor's degree and an internship in dietetics.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm prediabetic and set at 1280. Feel free to add me and/or take a look at my diary. It's an adjustment but I find if you find FILLING foods...you can eat alot and not feel hungry during the day.
  • rmysoldr
    rmysoldr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The last dietician I saw said it didn't matter what I ate as long as my calorie output was more than my calorie input. Quote "Eat a just Milky Way and 3 Whoppers every day. It's okay. Just be sure to burn more calories than you eat." Yeah, real good advice. I never went back.

My doctor gave me several blood tests and then recommended a diet of no less than 1200 calories per day, ensuring I included fresh vegetables and a high quality protein source. I told him that I didn't have the patience to deal with tracking a ton of different nutrients, so that was it, and it's going okay for me.
  • ktra2014
    ktra2014 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Start by eating somewhere in 1400 range and work yourself down to 1200. 1200 is very strict there is not a lot of wiggle room and it might discourage someone who is starting out. At first I had my goals set at 1400 and honestly ate 1350-1500 now I have it set to 1200 and is more like 1150-1350. I have noticed that eating out is practically impossible if I plan to stay within my 1200 so on those days when I know I will be eating out I have fish with veggies or chicken something very light but filling and I proportion better when I'm at the restaurant or ask for a to-go box when the food comes and put half of it in the box that way I'm not tempted to eat it all.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    1200 might be uncomfortable but is not dangerous. Diabetes on the other hand is. So listen to your doctor!
  • dgjmrhrmh99
    dgjmrhrmh99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1200 is what I do give or take and my blood work and everything has came back better. If that is what your doc orders I would go with it, eating the right foods you can stay satisfied. But, if u are uncomfortable with it start at 1400 and work your way down .
  • dgjmrhrmh99
    dgjmrhrmh99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1200 a day is not that drastic once you learn what to eat, and how much of it to eat. I am also on a 1200 a day diet per docs orders and you can really stay satisfied on that amount...but yes, a good majority of people do not count correctly, either because they guess portions or because they don't log everything.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I just started to eat at about 1200 calories a day. I have not been able to lose any weight in a year (I have not gained either). Up until that point I had lost 1 lb (from 241lbs) a week give or take. MFP has me at 1430 cal to lose .5-1 a week but its not working. My doctor said to try 1200 and see if I can start moving in the right direction again. So far, its working. I will admit that it is VERY difficult to eat at 1200. It is a constant struggle internally and sometimes I feel hungry but it is doable. I am 41, 5'6 and 189lbs.