How many snacks?

Options
How many snack do you have a day? How many calories do you consume in a day? I am at 1280 and thinking about cutting a snack - probably the evening snack that I usually have at 8pm. Just wondering what everyone else did.....thanks :)

ETA :I don't want to eat less than 1200 calories. I want to maybe add a little more to lunch or dinner and cut a snack. A redistribution if you will.

Replies

• TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    I mainly only have two a day. One in the afternoon and one a night(trying to slowly shy away from snacking at night. Even still though its only fruits and maybe popcorn from the popper we have here). I had Watermelon for a snack last night, surprisingly filling. Had yogurt with some berries in it this afternoon.

I havent been calorie counting long enough on here to give a legitimately good estimate of my eating in a day, but my first day on here which was yesterday i managed to eat under my goal so that was good.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm SUPPOSED to be netting 1500. I've had a big fail week though : (

I have two snacks: mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I've never been a night time snacker.

I get up around 6, breakfast around 7. Snack 1 around 10. Lunch at noon. Snack around 3. Dinner around 6 (or I'm starving!)

And my snacks are usually around 150 calories. Usually raw almonds, a kashi granola bar, half a PB sandwich, PB and banana muffins or a greek yogurt.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Monday to Friday, I usually have breakfast (300 cals) snack at 10 (100 cals) lunch at 12.30 (250 cals) snack at 3 (100 cals) dinner about 7 (500 cals) and evening snack (150 cals)

I love snacking - I find it hard to go for hours without eating, and my handbag rattles cos I always carry my emergency almonds with me!
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My snacks really depend on the day and what I'm doing but I typically have 2-3 snacks. Usually I try to make them fit into what I've eaten already. So for example if I"m low in calories I'll have a high calorie snack or if I'm low in calories I"ll have some yogurt. Sometimes, I'm not hungry so I don't eat. If you are eating 1280 calories a day be careful not to go under 1200. You are already at a healthy amount of calories. Maybe you could eat higher calorie snacks earlier in the day and skip the night one if you are worried about eating at night.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Given that you shouldn't really be looking to go below 1200 calories a day, I wouldn't be looking to eat less, tbh.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I snack a ridiculous amount. I only have one "meal" section for snacks, so it looks like I ate roughtly 300 cals at one go, but I just plan what my snacks will be for the day and then as I am hungry or want one I eat something from the list.

Today available snacks were: 10 bing cherries, 10 small 1" diameter strawberries, 1 tbsp of hummus with 1/2 cup of grape pearl tomatoes, etc.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals in advance. Also, I zigzag calories as some call it so it depends on where my calories are at that day. Usually, I'll just eat when I get hungry and leave it at that. Some days I'll have 1 or 2 between breakfast and lunch, 1 or 2 between lunch and dinner and one after dinner. But it really just depends on if I got enough calories to meet my goal for the day or how often I get hungry.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I don't want to eat less than 1200 calories. I want to maybe add a little more to lunch or dinner and cut a snack. A redistribution if you will.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 it just depends on the day. My calories are all over the place cause it really depends on how much I burned off that day with my exercise too. I am almost always under on my calories though.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Don't cut your snack. 1280 is a good amount. I'm netting 1200-1400 now.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah whatever fits in your nutrient percentages and calories is fine. Structure it however you want.

Some days I eat two meals and nothing else and some days I eat 4 or 5 times.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will buy a veggie tray and take it to work and eat on it all through out the day so I guess on those days I technically never stop eating. LOL!
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    On a good day, 350 to 400 of my 1200 calorie allowance go toward snacking. Shows how much self control I have. I have as many as two in the morning and another two in the afternoon. I really need to cut back on it.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have one snack in the afternoon, after a workout usually.
    I used to have one mid-morning as well, but found that by including protein in my breakfast, I can avoid it.
    Sometimes, after dinner, I allow myself a square of dark chocolate, but not always. I consume 1600 calories/day, and the snacks are usually 300-400 calories.