Anyone out there making kombucha??

Options
elljay47
elljay47 Posts: 10 Member
Would love a great beginners kombucha recipe!! Anyone willing to share their masterpiece ???

Replies

• elljay47
    elljay47 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks....
    There's so many different flavors/combos - wanted to get some recommendations of what people like...
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I make kombucha! My favorite second ferment is with fresh squeezed lemon juice, but blueberries, strawberries, and surprisingly apples all make great second ferments as well. I drink a bottle every day with my lunch.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The kombucha I brew is as basic as it gets, black tea, filtered water, white sugar and leftover kombucha from the last batch. Lots of recipes on the internet for this, so go with a recipe for the size of a batch you can handle.
  • DaytonaTheHousecat
    DaytonaTheHousecat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I want to make some. Can't you just easily make the scobby by letting the sugared tea sit in a cloth covered Mason jar? It seems kind of gnarly to make it but I am spending $4 a bottle at the stores and need to learn how to make it myself. I'm just afraid fruit flies will come or I'll sicken myself.
  • lizandrashaw
    Options
    You can take one from the store, drink only half of it. Put the rest of it in your jar with your sweet tea and it will form a scoby. That's how I started my first batch. I got the unflavored GTS brand and made sure I got a bottle with a lot of "stuff" at the bottom.
  • DaytonaTheHousecat
    DaytonaTheHousecat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can take one from the store, drink only half of it. Put the rest of it in your jar with your sweet tea and it will form a scoby. That's how I started my first batch. I got the unflavored GTS brand and made sure I got a bottle with a lot of "stuff" at the bottom.

Spooky lol . I'll have to try it. My husband keeps telling me to do what you just said but some people on YouTube made their own scobby. So I wanted to try. I just need a jar.
  • lizandrashaw
    Options
    That's how I got my first scoby and now I've got many many scobys floating around in the fridge waiting for friends to want them. LOL
  • DaytonaTheHousecat
    Options
    That's how I got my first scoby and now I've got many many scobys floating around in the fridge waiting for friends to want them. LOL

I'm a champagne drinker and I love kombucha because it gets me so relaxed like some bubbly.
  • elc309
    elc309 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use decaf qt size tea bags. If you're avoiding caffeine, this works. I'm also still working on second ferment flavors. I am determined to find flavors like the store but kind. I like that someone mentioned fresh squeezed lemon juice!sounds like something I would like. I found my first scobe for free through craigslist. Someone was just sharing and I got hooked. Enjoy!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love kombucha, and want to start making it too. Where do you, guys get the big jars? I don't have anything at home that's large enough. Juat need some ideas, i guess. Don't want to just buy something to throw away, and where do i even go? I don't recall seeing anything that big at Costco. Thanks for the ideas.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    @icemom011 AMAZON.COM and you can get any size you want.

Thank you!
  • dwatkins23
    dwatkins23 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oooo, I want to make my own, too. I love kombucha :smiley: Thank you for posting this!