Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Tootsie Pops
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Netflix, Amazon Prime and Craigslist. I watch the first two while walking on the treadmill I got from the third. Getting off the couch curbs the snacking and increasing NEAT makes HUGE difference in TDEE.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Anything that keeps my hands busy works for me– playing online, playing guitar, knitting, card games, coloring books,. Etc. I’ve recently added a ukulele to my collection so that is what I will be learning next.

Another strange one is my rain coat. I had to go out & buy one because I was letting myself stay in instead of walking in the rain. When I realized it was becoming an excuse, I bought the rain coat, & now unless there is lightning with the rain, I get out and walk more.

I am a night owl and mornings are always a struggle for me. I recently bought an alarm clock that vibrates and rolls around on the floor until I get up, chase it down, and it won’t snooze more than once. It will go for however long I set it. That has helped *_*

I’ve also taken some cooking classes. Learning how to properly cook food has made it easier to make delicious food that fits my nutritional needs. You can take some solo, or they have lots of girls’ night and date night packages. I took mine at a Viking store with a teaching kitchen, but Sur La Table does them as well, as do many community colleges and local culinary schools. It was a worth investment in my health, and I am still reaping the benefits 7 years later.

When I am camping, bug spray or sunscreen works. I usually only spray the back of my hands, but either way, the smell is a strong reminder that I have chemicals on my body, and I won’t snack until I’ve washed them. That helps keep me on track when they are passing around the s’mores.
  • Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Housecleaning - nothing makes me want to eat less than scrubbing the toilet.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    TV! I signed up for a gym where the cardio machines all have their own satellite tv and started watching most of my favourite shows running on the treadmill. Stops me from snacking while watching them and usually gives me at least 500 extra cals for the day :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Netflix, Amazon Prime and Craigslist. I watch the first two while walking on the treadmill I got from the third. Getting off the couch curbs the snacking and increasing NEAT makes HUGE difference in TDEE.

That reminds me: Amazon Unlimited. Full of terribly written novels with absolutely no literary merit whatsoever. Junk food for my brain that provides pure escapism, requires barely any thought, and gives me something to do other than think about eating.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Well, I may have just changed lawn chairs on the Titanic but Vaping works for me. I was never a smoker but vaping tastes good is 95% healthier than smoking and seems to curb my appetite. I use a very low nicotine content and the rest is food grade PG and VG. When I want to snack I vape.
  • qvene
    qvene Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Video games during times I'm most likely to snack on random stuff. When both hands are busy and the story/gameplay is engaging, time passes quickly and it doesn't even occur to me to snack. Before I know it it's time for my next meal.

I lost 15 pounds playing The Witcher series. No lie.

Ditto! Majority of my 19 pounds loss since July was due to Pokemon GO. :wink:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Video games during times I'm most likely to snack on random stuff. When both hands are busy and the story/gameplay is engaging, time passes quickly and it doesn't even occur to me to snack. Before I know it it's time for my next meal.

Replaying the Mass Effect series recently I had to sustain myself with extra high calorie shakes because I had a hard time hitting my goal calories grumbling and complaining that I had to eat, although I almost never do shakes in normal circumstances. I would finish my work and whatever is needed around the house by noon, then play until bedtime. Thankfully, not all games do that to me. But yes, gaming helps a lot with snacking.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    qvene wrote: »

Ditto! Majority of my 19 pounds loss since July was due to Pokemon GO. :wink:

I play Ingress (same company that makes Pokemon Go). It's kept me moving.

• wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options

SUCH a good video game series. I'm still doing the DLs for Witcher 3. I don't want it to end.

Many have said it, but my vote is for brushing and flossing my teeth. It keeps me from wanting to have a late night snack. And video games. I can crank out a few hours playing a videogame on my console or computer, and I'll have never thought I was once craving a snack. I also knit, which keeps me busy.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Replaying the Mass Effect series recently I had to sustain myself with extra high calorie shakes because I had a hard time hitting my goal calories grumbling and complaining that I had to eat, although I almost never do shakes in normal circumstances. I would finish my work and whatever is needed around the house by noon, then play until bedtime. Thankfully, not all games do that to me. But yes, gaming helps a lot with snacking.

I think most people who play video games actually have the opposite experience of snacking too much while playing. I put on weight play ME2 and ME3!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Crocheting! I can't eat while my hands are busy with yarn.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

This is what I do too. Difference is now instead of planting my butt on the couch for hours on end I jog in place while playing. The time really does fly by when your mind is occupied. I get to check off my exercise for the day and before you know it, its time to eat again. Win win!

I've lost 140 pounds over the past 2.5 years doing this, and its sustainable for me as I'm a huge gamer.