Daily Calorie Intake

Options
Hi

Am new to this and wonder if someone could clarify a question regarding calorie intake. I have quite a bit of weight to lose and, according to NHS website calculator, I should stick to between 1600-2000 calories a day to lose weight. I've decided to stick to 1600 calories per day - which I have entered within my daily goals.

So far today I have eaten 970 calories, and exercised using approx 400 calories according to tracker. When I look at my food diary just now, it states:

Totals 970
Your Daily Goal 2,043
Remaining 1,073

Am I right in thinking that although I have 'earned' extra calories through exercise, because I'm trying to lose weight it is better not to eat these extra calories and just stick with what would be remaining - in this case 630 calories?

The Daily Goal figure is confusing me because I have the calories set at 1600.

Any advice gratefully received!

Izzy

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    When you use MFP numbers you eat a portion of the exercise calories back. A portion because estimates can be generous. Because when you plug your stats in you get the deficit before exercise.

You've used a different calculator - did it have a section that asked about exercise? Plenty of people use outside calculators & account for exercise up front.

You don't want to lose weight too quickly (large deficit) that can lead to a higher % of lean muscle loss. Because you've got a ways to go it's not an issue yet. Closer to goal - slower weight loss.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stay at around a 20% deficit from your TDEE.. total daily burn including exercise. Just keep in mind that most of the watches, fitbits tend to over exaggerate the calorie burn from exercise. I know my weekly workouts burn about x calories, so I build that into my total and just eat a flat amount every day. It makes it very easy for me.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Izzy, Id Start At The Higher End Of The Range. If Yo Can Lose Weight At 2000, Thatd Be Much More Sustainable in The Long Run Than 1600. If You Stcik With 2000 For Two Solid Weeks And You Lose Between 1-2 Lbs PEr Week, Thats Perfect! If Not, Say You Dont Lose Any, Or Gain, Than Consider Dropping 100-200 Off And Repeating The Cycle Until You Are Losing At That 1-2 Lbs Per Week.. The Goal Is To Lose Weight While Eating As Much As Possible.. This Will Help You To Avoid Metabolic Damage And Avoid Those Inevitable Plateaus Youll Hit Eating At A Super Low Calorie Level..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The calculator you used is most likely is a TDEE calculator. MFP does not use TDEE as MFP does not include your exercise. MFP is MFP calore allotment (deficit you setup when you create your weight loss goal) + exercise.

So if you just go back to MFP, put in your weight loss goal (i.e. lose 1 pound a week), it will spit out the calorie goal for you. Eat that, and a portion of your exercise calories to be as close to your NET calorie goal as possible.

Or your can take your TDEE that these calculator give you and take 10% per week off that number and setup MFP that way.

I know you have a lot of weight to lose, but quicker is not better and can be potentially dangerous when setup too aggressively. While agree that 2 pounds in the very beginning is acceptable for a short period of time, you have potential to lose valuable lean mass (muscle). So pick a min of 1 pound to 1.5 a week if possible.
  • Puddlespebs
    Puddlespebs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - Thanks so much for all the replies - the NHS calculator didn't ask about exercise. I did have my doubts as well about the calories burned through exercise - how accurate these numbers would be. I will set my calories at the higher end of the range and see how it goes - and try to be consistent every day with the same numbers as much as possible.

Thanks again everyone - much appreciated!

Izzy :-)

• akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Cchioles wrote: »
    Izzy, Id Start At The Higher End Of The Range. If Yo Can Lose Weight At 2000, Thatd Be Much More Sustainable in The Long Run Than 1600. If You Stcik With 2000 For Two Solid Weeks And You Lose Between 1-2 Lbs PEr Week, Thats Perfect! If Not, Say You Dont Lose Any, Or Gain, Than Consider Dropping 100-200 Off And Repeating The Cycle Until You Are Losing At That 1-2 Lbs Per Week.. The Goal Is To Lose Weight While Eating As Much As Possible.. This Will Help You To Avoid Metabolic Damage And Avoid Those Inevitable Plateaus Youll Hit Eating At A Super Low Calorie Level..

there's...a really long acronym in there.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Cchioles wrote: »

Plateaus occur from eating the same amount that you burn, not from eating super low