Low Calorie Meal Ideas that are family friendly?????

Hi Everyone- so the Hubby and I started running and exercising a lot together and have cut out a lot of calories. We are seeing a huge difference but are getting tired of the same 5 or 6 meals that I know are healthy that I can serve to the whole family- we have an 8 and 3 year old.

Any low calorie family friendly meal ideal out there?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    We mostly stick with what I think of as a traditional meal template--meat (grilled, roasted, or baked), starchy side dish (rice, potatoes, or couscous), and veggies (cooked or raw.) But we also have spaghetti (either with meat sauce or meatballs) and pizza each once a week most weeks.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    The best way to make something low calorie is to have what you like, but keep your portions under control.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    We all eat the same thing, as low calorie would not work for my hubby and kids. I just eat less.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I'm the meanest mommy ever.
    I cook stuff like fish and serve it with steamed veggies and salad.
    -shrug-
    When the Kidlets buy groceries they can choose what's for supper.
    In the meantime, you'd be surprised what they'll eat when they're hungry

JSBTl.gif
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    I also just make "regular" food. I have a growing teen boy and an underweight husband and they definitely need the calories from fats and carbs, so a protein + a starch + a vegetable for most dinners. I just eat less of the starch and more of the veg.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I also just make "regular" food. I have a growing teen boy and an underweight husband and they definitely need the calories from fats and carbs, so a protein + a starch + a vegetable for most dinners. I just eat less of the starch and more of the veg.

This^

I just modify my favorites. I still make pizza - turkey pepperoni & veggies on my portion. Homemade chicken nuggets.....panko crumbs are amazing, I have a side salad. Stuffed pepper soup - not sure if your kids eat peppers (I use red & green): http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/stuffed-green-pepper-soup

Skinnytaste is also great for recipes.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    My sons eat what I eat. I am also the meanest mommy ever, but they actually are enjoying it. We eat out less and I am cooking more. Since I am watching calories and carbs, I sometimes will add a heavy carb side for them.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Recommended dietary intake of nutrients for children:

130 g. carbohydrates/day

13-19 g. protein (ages 1-3)
    34-52 g. protein (older children)

minimum of 5 g./day of essential fatty acids
    20-35% fat intake of total intake by age 19.

Children, teens, and adults have different nutritional requirements. Children and teens are actively growing.
  • blk0110k
    blk0110k Posts: 39 Member
    Once in a while I do pizza pitas... put sauce, lowfat cheese, turkey pepperoni in a half of a pita and shove them in the oven until they are crispy and the cheese melts. My teens love these....
  • blk0110k
    blk0110k Posts: 39 Member
    I also do taco salad... ground turkey or chicken, taco seasoning, low fat mozz or mexican cheese, put that on top of tortilla chips and then pile on lettuce & tomato and salsa and whatever other toppings you want (black olives, onion, etc... I don't do the chips for myself or sour cream... my teens love it and it's very filling.
  • TeaBea
    blk0110k wrote: »
    I also do taco salad... ground turkey or chicken, taco seasoning, low fat mozz or mexican cheese, put that on top of tortilla chips and then pile on lettuce & tomato and salsa and whatever other toppings you want (black olives, onion, etc... I don't do the chips for myself or sour cream... my teens love it and it's very filling.

I sometimes bake my own chips (or buy baked Doritos). Greek yogurt can be subbed for sour cream, I pretty much mix it with salsa anyway.
  • Ninjaeema
    Ninjaeema Posts: 21 Member
    I make a lot of the same foods that I made before, but I simply eliminate a lot of the fat, so no more butter, OO spray for sauteing not OO, very little cheese, etc. It's easy to modify most recipes, unless they're cheese based, or fried. My kids and husband can always add butter and cheese, or whatever they want to what I cook, once it's on their plates.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Substitute your ground meats with lean turkey (at least 90% lean. That puts 4 oz of the meat at 160 calories). I'm making Turkey Meatloaf tonight with simple ingredients. Ground Turkey, Egg, and Crushed saltines. Topped with ketchup. At 4 oz servings, it gets me approximately 210 calories. I add a side of mashed potatoes and green beans.
  • TeaBea
    Substitute your ground meats with lean turkey (at least 90% lean. That puts 4 oz of the meat at 160 calories). I'm making Turkey Meatloaf tonight with simple ingredients. Ground Turkey, Egg, and Crushed saltines. Topped with ketchup. At 4 oz servings, it gets me approximately 210 calories. I add a side of mashed potatoes and green beans.

A bit more expensive but ground sirloin is often 90% too (ground round is the next leanest).
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Soups! We're big on soups around here and I always throw in extra veggies and protein and serve it with salad and homemade bread/bread bowls (for individual servings). Stuffed green pepper soup is delicious, as is chicken soup, chicken and dumplings, hamburger/veg soup, butternut squash with turkey sausage... tonight we had creamy tortillini with spinach soup. One bowl filled me right up alongside a salad.

We also do 'you get what you get and you don't throw a fit' :smiley: We've always eaten healthy meals and if it's not a soup/casserole with tons of veggies to bulk it up, then it's 1 meat/2 veg/1 starch plus a salad on the side. Tomorrow will have 2 starches because that's how the cookie crumbled but it'll be stuffed chicken breasts (stuffed with carmelized onions and mushrooms, not cheese), mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, and either homemade bread or rolls plus a salad. I don't care for mashed potatoes that much so it's easy for me to have a small serving.

Make your usual recipes but use healthier ingredients and buy a large bag of mixed frozen veggies- I add those to almost everything! I plan meals 2 weeks at a time and I try to throw in 2-3 new recipes every time. We usually get winners haha.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    No, I'm the meanest mommy ever. ;) Actually, one of my three is picky. After he's eaten the minimum requirement of dinner I let him have a bowl of (healthy-ish) cereal or similar. This was the compromise I came up with when I decided that for my emotional well-being, mealtimes need to be pleasant.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP what are the 5-6 meals you are rotating through today? What's your definition of "healthy"? What kind of meals did your family enjoy before you made this shift?

One other thing that jumped out a me from your original post was the comment about running/exercising a lot and cutting "a lot" of calories. How big of a calorie deficit do you have? Are you eating back some of those cals? To lose 1 lb/week you need a deficit of 500 cals which isn't that hard to create through small changes to all your meals, it may not require a complete overhaul to your dinner meal plans.,, I tend to eat smaller breakfast and lunch and with exercise added in my dinners are often 700 or more cals which doesn't require much in the way of modification that would be noticeable to my family.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I buy 93% ground beef...there's no reason to substitute if you don't want to...there's no difference between 90% ground beef and 90% ground turkey. I refuse to eat ground turkey or turkey bacon or turkey dogs, etc...when I was a kid my dad was good friends with a turkey farmer and that's all we ate it seems like...stuff makes me want to puke.