Barely related to weight loss at all, actually ...

Options
You know how when you're stressed, and there is a lot going on, it become much harder to focus on the things you need to, like eating right etc. Well, this is very much the situation at the moment for me. Stress and things going on, leading to me becoming too distracted to focus properly. This is not an excuse, I know, this is simply a statement so that what I am about to say can be remotely related to weight loss at all. Because this, is where the correlation ends.
I HATE the 12th of July. I dont know how many people on this are from the UK, or even less probably from ireland/northern ireland who might know what I'm talking about, but honestly this time of the year over here is a health hazard. On the 12th of july, and the dates surrounding it, every year the few sectarian, narrow minded idiots that there are left here choose to riot in the streets, burning out cars, busses etc, throwing petrol bombs, bricks and anything else they can find, as well as shooting at eachother, and the police. ENOUGH already. The troubles are OVER. There is no need for this violence. I am SICK of living somewhere that people think that this rubbish is okay. Seriously.
I'm sorry for posting this irrelevant topic here, but it was something i needed to let go of.
And to be honest, i just wanted someone...anyone that isn't from over here to know, who has maybe heard of the riots on the news...we're not ALL like that. Most of us hate this, and are embarrassed to be associated with it.

Replies

• kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I understand you needing to post this. Stress can make dieting a chore. I had a pen pal from northern ireland about 20 years ago and some of her family had been taken by the authorities for something unfair. They just broke into the house and grabbed them (don't remember what it was about but it seemed similar to what happened to the jews during holocaust) She would tell me how people would be afraid to talk about their religion for fear someone would do something to them. I stopped getting letters from her after awhile and I hoped that we just lost touch and it was nothing horrible. I did not know ireland was still fighting like this. What is July 12th all about?
  • mdayishere
    mdayishere Posts: 14
    Options
    I feel for your situation and it also sounds dangerous! I find prayer helps and venting of course, I usually have a cheater day every week so that 6 days of the week I'm able to continue w/ my long journey. Take care and thanks for sharing!
  • BonLou76
    BonLou76 Posts: 36
    Options
    Any situation that affects your life such as this is NOT irrelivant at all. And it's certainly understandable that eating right is far from your mind at the moment. Those of with half a brain and who pay attention to what goes on in the world, are fully aware that not everyone is like that! These forums are for support and motivation right? So I for one have no problem that you posted this here. I hope at least putting it down in writing took a little of the stress off. Take care and I hope you make it through this unscathed.
  • jaycurran
    jaycurran Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks guys, it really does help to know not everyone thinks that just being from a place automatically makes you one of the scumbags that makes the news. The 12th is basically when one side of the community march in bands etc, and try to start trouble with the other side, and the other side try to block the parades, and try to start trouble with the first side. Always ends up with the police being in the middle being attacked etc. Over here the two sides of the community are Protestant and catholic, and around the 12th you're more of a target if you're catholic, because its protestants marching. I'm crap at explaining it, but thats very roughly the idea. Kadoodle, your friend from years ago would have been talking about when the troubles were very bad - back then makes whats happening now look like nothing. I hope you guys just lost touch too. I hate that our country does this to itself...and i don't understand why we can't live peacefully. I am technically protestant (Though I, nor my parents are religious), and many of my friends are catholic...there is no reason why everyone can't let go of the division.
    A friend of mine is in the police, also. I hate sitting in the house worried about what is happening to him while he's sitting in the riot vans, or when he's out getting stuff thrown at him. I hate wondering if my friends who are protestants have ended up at a bonfire or if they've got stuck in a riot. I hate wondering if some of my catholic friends who live in catholic areas are safe in their houses when things get bad.
    I guess its too much to ask for so many years of sectarianism to be washed away...but I'd rather live with wishfull thinking than just accepting that this is how it is every year - like many others have.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I can't imagine how it must be to have to deal with that year after year and for some older folks, decade after decade. I assume it must stop sometime, hopefully sooner than later. Well, try to busy yourself with something unrelated and keep you and yours safe okay? Prayers are with you guys :)