IF when working out early morning

Options
Hey! I've been looking into intermittent fasting. I would probably have to do something like 9-7 and fast 14 hours. My problem is that I workout every morning at 6, and I don't have time to workout during my "feed" time. I've always heard to fuel your body after a workout, and I'm starving about an hour later. Has anyone else tried this and overcome these issues?!?!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well some people can workout fasted. The best thing to do, is see if you are one of those people. Also, nutrition timing isn't overly important. The new recommendations suggest that if you get some carbs + pro pre - or post - workout within a 2 hour window, it might help but total intake is more important.

Also, some people use BCAA as a means to help with working out fasted.
  • ksirwin817
    ksirwin817 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok, that is some of what I had found while researching as well. I guess it's just more of a mental thing, like being afraid of fats because low fat diets where all the talk years ago. I got over that, and I could try this as well. I'll have to do my homework on BCAA. I'm not familiar at all.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ksirwin817 wrote: »
    Ok, that is some of what I had found while researching as well. I guess it's just more of a mental thing, like being afraid of fats because low fat diets where all the talk years ago. I got over that, and I could try this as well. I'll have to do my homework on BCAA. I'm not familiar at all.

Personally, I would try to workout before you go into supplementation. And even then, if you workout at 6 for an hour, you would still be in a good position at eating at 9.

Another option is to reconsider IF. There is no metabolic advantage to IF outside, it may or may not help you restrict calories.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I do IF - 16:8 - and workout at 5 every morning - my first meal of the day is after 12 noon... I haven't had a problem doing this for the the last year or so. I think the only thing you really need to deal with is the mental issues.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    For me, when I work out in the morning IF goes out the window. I have to eat after or I feel sick. But I only do IF for the calorie manipulation. I don't buy into any of its other claims.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Actually IMF has a lot of benefits associated with it beyond calorie adherence. Have you tried it yet? If you finish dinner by 6pm, work out from 6-7am and then "break your fast" by 8am (home from gym or to work)....that is still a 14 hour IMF.

I routinely finish eating by 7pm, have a fasted cardio session at 6am and then don't eat until 12pm. I drink lots of water and have cup of green tea with MCT oil between 8-9am.

While their is evidence behind benefits of post-workout fueling....it really depends on your goals and workouts. If you are trying to build muscle and are putting in very strenuous lifting session then you would probably want to fuel within that 20min gap after your workout. Those just working out to stay fit, lose some pounds, or endurance athletes have more leeway. I fall into the endurance athlete section and I only worry about getting in some fuel directly after a workout if it is a very strenuous workout (4-5 hour mountain hike, 2-3 hour gym session with lots of weights, etc).
  • b1gwillystyle
    b1gwillystyle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and my window to eat is 10:6. On days I work, I wake up and do cardio at 4 AM. On days I do NOT work. I weight lift on a deficit before my window and I get a 3-4 mile run in during the evening. Contrary to what one may think, my lifts are continuing to get stronger. I'm not lifting for strength or mass, strictly to get lean. Size and strength naturally happen. I agree with guitarjerry, unless you're training for something elite, you're good.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and my window to eat is 10:6. On days I work, I wake up and do cardio at 4 AM. On days I do NOT work. I weight lift on a deficit before my window and I get a 3-4 mile run in during the evening. Contrary to what one may think, my lifts are continuing to get stronger. I'm not lifting for strength or mass, strictly to get lean. Size and strength naturally happen. I agree with guitarjerry, unless you're training for something elite, you're good.

Size won't naturally happen unless you're eating in a surplus though
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Training in a fasted state is extremely beneficial. After a week or so you get use to it and feel very powerful. I've been doing IF for a few years now and love it. I fast for about 16 hours. Easiest way is just wait 5 hours or so after you wake up then eat your first meal.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,135 Member
    Options
    ksirwin817 wrote: »
    Hey! I've been looking into intermittent fasting. I would probably have to do something like 9-7 and fast 14 hours. My problem is that I workout every morning at 6, and I don't have time to workout during my "feed" time. I've always heard to fuel your body after a workout, and I'm starving about an hour later. Has anyone else tried this and overcome these issues?!?!

Personally I work out fasted with no issue, actually, it is preferable to me as I find food it my stomach a hindrance for a good workout. I would suggest, as others have, try working out fasted and see how it works for you. If it does, great, if not, then you have to find a work around if you are going to do this type of Intermittent Fasting.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5 am for 60-75 min weights then come home and ride my bike for 30 min, walk dogs 30 min then go to work and eat I'm in bed at 830-900 every night last meal is around 5:00 so fast everyday for about 14-15 hours.