HELP - I need motivation to go to the gym

Options
Hi all,
I have a gym membership for a 24 hour gym in the city where I live. Im fairly new to the area and it seemed like a great thing to sign up for so I could get fit again. I used to go to the gym some years ago but I've really let myself go and I'm desperate to lose weight and tone up. The weights at the gym especially will allow me to do the latter. I enjoy the gym whilst I'm there, rowing is my favourite, but actually going is becoming a rareity for me. My gym membership is expensive and I'm not utilising it! I feel so guilty but after work all I want to do is come home and snuggle up in bed with crap food. My partner is the same, we want to get fit again together but we're as bad as each other and end up being lazy almost every evening. Please help - I'm so unhappy with my general health and fitness and the only thing stopping me is myself. Any ideas??

Replies

• SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Make a "date" with your partner to meet up at the gym. Tell yourselves that you're only go do 10 minutes, and if you're really not into it at that point, you'll leave. More often than not, you'll find yourself getting into your work out and stay longer. If your gym offers free group classes, you could try one of those also. I found those are motivating, especially once I start making friends there (going to the gym is the only time I get to catch up with what's new with them).
  • nuttygirly
    nuttygirly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try group fitness classes like BodyAttack, BodyPump, HIIT, etc. They have been a GREAT motivation to go to the gym for me. The energy and community you get in these classes might be just the thing you need :) Feel free to friend me!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Motivation gets you to the door, but discipline gets you through it and keeps you there. You need to be disciplined about it.

Also, morning workouts may be better. I'm not a morning person. I'm tired after work and sometimes things come up. I have no excuses in the morning, even if I have to get up alittle earlier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I get being tired after work. What helps me is getting in some cardio at lunchtime. Usually I go for a walk. If it's raining I can go to the ice skating rink. Since I work from home I have the additional options of practicing yoga or gardening.

Getting some activity at lunch keeps me energized (and productive) throughout the afternoon and into the evening.

I picked a less expensive gym membership which limits me to Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun. Having less days to go actually makes me go more as for most of the week I can't say, "I'll just go tomorrow." So I know that T & Th are my nights and I just force myself to go if I'm not motivated. Once I have my gym clothes on and am heading out the door, I'm fine.

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have a gym membership for a 24 hour gym in the city where I live. Im fairly new to the area and it seemed like a great thing to sign up for so I could get fit again. I used to go to the gym some years ago but I've really let myself go and I'm desperate to lose weight and tone up. The weights at the gym especially will allow me to do the latter. I enjoy the gym whilst I'm there, rowing is my favourite, but actually going is becoming a rareity for me. My gym membership is expensive and I'm not utilising it! I feel so guilty but after work all I want to do is come home and snuggle up in bed with crap food. My partner is the same, we want to get fit again together but we're as bad as each other and end up being lazy almost every evening. Please help - I'm so unhappy with my general health and fitness and the only thing stopping me is myself. Any ideas??
    You are desperate to lose weight and enjoy what you do at the gym. Your partner is supportive and has similar goals. This is all the "motivation" you need. Now you need a schedule and a habit. Set the time and GO with your partner.

Most people are tired after work. My husband gets up at 3:30 am, works like a maniac on his feet all day with barely time to eat lunch (RN), and is lucky to have more than 30 min at home before he goes to fitness class at 5pm. He does it because it makes him feel better in the end and he is committed to improving his health & fitness, but definitely not a natural exercise lover. I am impressed! If he can do this, just about anyone can.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Put on the gym clothes and lace up the shoes.. This is the point where you will either bail out or keep going.. But just put on the outfit.. you will be suprized that you will go ahead and keep inline with your plan. Partner's got to do the same or you go with out him.. Sometimes a partner can influence and hinder your plans.

Find the best time in your schedule where you will have the most energy and ability to stay diligent. Tiredness in the afternoon may always prevail if you get tired and want to chill as I am like that.. I am not into running in the hottest time of the day, and I certainly do not want to lift weight close to dinner or afterwards.

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Put on the gym clothes and lace up the shoes.. This is the point where you will either bail out or keep going.. But just put on the outfit.. you will be suprized that you will go ahead and keep inline with your plan. Partner's got to do the same or you go with out him.. Sometimes a partner can influence and hinder your plans.

Find the best time in your schedule where you will have the most energy and ability to stay diligent. Tiredness in the afternoon may always prevail if you get tired and want to chill as I am like that.. I am not into running in the hottest time of the day, and I certainly do not want to lift weight close to dinner or afterwards.

This is right. Just get dressed and go. Doing something always beats doing nothing on the couch.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Let me start by saying that your fitness lifestyle has to be your fitness lifestyle in order for it to stick. I get that some people like to go with a friend or partner, but in order to stay accountable, you can only depend on yourself for motivation. My partner loves laying in bed, cuddling and watching TV, and eating crap snacks. What do I do? Wake up early every morning (trust me, I don't want to 90% of the time...who wants to be up at 5AM driving to the gym for an hour or more session before a 3-hour commute and 8-hour work day? NO ONE) and get a gym session in so that I can come home and cuddle/watch TV after work. Avoid the crap food. Always have healthy options in the house. If you're the grocery shopper of the family, only buy healthy food! That's what I do. Follow a ton of fitspirational pages on Instagram and Facebook so you are forced to see the motivational quotes and inspirational figures that they post daily. Once you get in the habit, you'll see results soon after and that alone will be motivation to do better, go more, stay longer and push harder.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The previous posts are right. Motivation waxes and wanes, however, you have a partner who also has a gym membership.

Is this a partner to agree you "should" go exercise? or is this a partner who will go with you to exercise?

You need an accountability partner, someone who will drag you to the gym when you don't want to go, and someone you can drag to the gym when THEY don't want to go.

Motivation is hard.

Being overweight is hard.

Choose your "hard".
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I do this as soon as I get home from work. And I don't sit down on the couch. If I sit down, all is lost. But if I change straight into gym clothes, and don't sit down, I'll go to the gym every time.

It's even better when I take my gym clothes to work and stop at the gym on my way home. I prefer this, but I can't always do that because of my son's schedule.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First of all, you will feel better and look better!

Having said that, I can't workout after work. I can barely gather the energy to make dinner for my family. Have you tried working out early in the AM? It can be tough at first, but once it becomes a routine, it's awesome! I'm exercised, showered and ready for the day by 7:30am :)