Social struggles

Options
How do you handle people giving you a hard time for trying to eat right? I bring salads for lunch often and always get crap for it.. Sometimes it gets so embarrassing that I have considered bringing unhealthy food.. just so they shut up ha

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yeah, i never understand how others feel they have any right to comment on what others are doing. The horror of you eating healthy! I find that when insecure people have guilt or bad feelings about what they are doing, they will try and bring others down.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you telling (implicitly or explicitly, doesn't matter) those people that your way of eating is the right way of eating and that the others are eating unhealthy food? Or that you really would have liked to eat something else instead? If so, maybe they are just annoyed.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    It's their issue! I still go through this at work and I have even thought about looking for a new job where it would just be norm for me. But you have to remember you are doing this for yourself- just smile and go on back to your salad. In the time that I've maintained my loss I've watched others lose and regain weight.
  • Dutchy_77
    Dutchy_77 Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    asaber1616 wrote: »
    How do you handle people giving you a hard time for trying to eat right? I bring salads for lunch often and always get crap for it.. Sometimes it gets so embarrassing that I have considered bringing unhealthy food.. just so they shut up ha

if they give you crap serve it right back at them.

if they serve you crab ... say thank you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Tell them to f*** off?

This
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    whenever I get comments about my lunch it seems to be about how amazing and colourful it looks compared to their cheese sandwiches in white bread. If they are giving you c*** for it, then ignore it, if not, just tell them what's in it, just for information. You never know, they might start thinking how much more interesting your lunch is.

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I can't comment as you haven't provided much detail
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I work in IT, so I was the only girl in a room of 20+ boys my age (call center environment for a university), and on top of that I was the only one that didn't order food on Saturdays and instead munched on my carrots and quinoa. They used to call me the rabbit. The best thing you can do is roll your eyes, or if you know them and their sense of humour well enough, hurl an insult back at them. "Ah, yes, I might be a rabbit, but I also won't be dead by the age of forty."
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Tell them to f*** off?

exactly this
    they need to mind their business.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    It's called jealousy that you are sticking to your goals and they are succumbing to the "convenience " of fast food knowing it's not healthy. I've been dealing with this for years and ignore it. Can't change them.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If anyone is so rude as to comment on what I'm eating, I generally just say something like "Well, you know, I plan to live forever, so...did you watch The Bachelor last night?" and change the subject. I'll also use stuff like "Just have to drop to my race weight for a half-marathon next month," or "Need to be able to button up my work pants," or "I really love vegetables," etc etc etc. One reply and a subject change, don't allow it to become a discussion and you won't have to discuss it. I don't believe it's necessary to be impolite in reply unless the comment is extremely OTT.
  • blk0110k
    blk0110k Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing...salad again??? I just tell them I LOVE LOVE LOVE salad. ~truth
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've had people comment on my lunches but never in a negative way. If they did I'd just say something like "Why do you care what I eat?" and go on with my day. I don't live my life to please others.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    What do you mean "I always get crap for it"?
    Seriously?
    It is possible that you are interpreting commentary as 'giving you crap' when it may be poorly communicated interest?
    Food is such a social topic. We all need it, daily. We give it to others. We plan around it.
    I think it's natural to be curious about the what/why of what others are eating.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Giving people crap for eating a nutritious lunch is kinda like giving someone crap for not smoking.
    Who does that?!?!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Meh, keep eating what you're eating and enjoy it. My colleagues do the same thing but I have learned to just shrug and keep eating.