Any crossfitters out there?

Options
theclaw900
theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I did some searching and did not get too many hits on crossfit so I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone else here is training that way.

I used to really drink the cool-aid for a couple of years and really was hard core about it. I hurt myself (as all crossfitters ultimately do) and did my own thing for a long time. Last couple of years I've faced a couple of job transitions, slacked off, stressed out and turned myself into a flabby suburban dad with the full compliment of "man boobs" wise cracks from my kids.

So I joined a local box run by some guys who I've known been at it for along time. Been having a great time and pushing myself again. Muscle memory is gone but coming back. Some of my technique is coming back too.

If you are crossfitting or thinking about lets here about it.

Jeff

ps: After posting this I've found there seems to be a lot of groups around CF. I'll be checking that out too.

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Umm not all Crossfitters hurt themselves, not sure I agree with your outlook.
  • brianrhillUK
    brianrhillUK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I go to CF 4x a week in Trowbridge, UK. ❤️❤️❤️ it!! Have lost 28lbs and just 7-10lbs of fat to go, 6 pack is coming through
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Nice work @brianrhillUK I've seen alot of folks have success. How are you eating?

@kota4bye It's a little like riding a motorcycle, sooner or later you crash. Crossfit is similar, if not managed sensibly by the person doing it. i don't want to get into a bashing CF thread here. It's done a lot for me. I was in the first masters competition back in 2010 when there was 6 or 7 of us competing. I'm just making a little tongue in cheek remark. I've learned not to be so serious. At least I try.

Jeff
  • claudiaaguilar28
    Options
    I am a crossfitter. I have only been at it a year by now. I am still at a beginner level but I am getting stronger and I can already see definition in my body. I love it so far and the people I've met in my box. I just now started my dieting, which I know is a big portion to achieving the goals I want.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a total newbie, only beginning my second full week joining the official "WOD" group after wrapping up the beginner training. It is TOUGH but I'm loving it so far. For the past two years or so I've focused on lifting (started with Stronglifts then did PHUL for a bit), so I'm hoping with that background my form is solid and I can continue to progress...without the dreaded Crossfit injury that everyone seems to run into!

Anyone have any advice for a beginner? Would love to hear from more experienced people out there.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @theclaw900! I'm trying to be careful, particularly during new movements, and concentrate on keeping solid form rather than maintaining pace with the rest of the group. Difficult though because I've always been too competitive for my own good and think I can keep up with anybody...at least in my own mind! :p

The trainers have been great so far, keeping a pretty close watch on me during the WOD and quickly correcting any issues they see.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I hurt myself (as all crossfitters ultimately do) "
    kota4bye wrote: »

This is the problem CrossFit has. As seen on TV (the competitions) all exercises are done with poor form with the sole purpose to get as many done in as short a time as possible. I know this is in completion, but form is horrible, and this has become a public face of CrossFit. True or False, perception is often reality.
  • kota4bye
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

This is the problem CrossFit has. As seen on TV (the competitions) all exercises are done with poor form with the sole purpose to get as many done in as short a time as possible. I know this is in completion, but form is horrible, and this has become a public face of CrossFit. True or False, perception is often reality.

Funny, because my experience in the gym as an athlete and coach says injuries are far a few between.
  • pondee629
    Options

Funny, because my experience in the gym as an athlete and coach says injuries are far a few between.

Your position/view/experience is not getting out. The view of CrossFit I see is herky-jerky momentum assisted movements with limited range of motion which can only lead to injury. Kip pull-Ups, for instance. Not a true pull-up but a momentum assisted motion designed only for quantity over quality.

Could very well be that the competitions shown on TV are not true/pure CrossFit, but it is what has been shown.
  • pondee629
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I've been doing CF for a year and have made massive improvements in my strength and overall fitness.

Any sport can potentially lead to injury of the athletes. Good form, good coaching, and good choices are important.

My experience has been that those who voice negative opinions of CF typically read internet articles or watch YouTube videos and have never actually walked into a box. The coaches emphasize good form and will stop an athlete who exhibits poor form in order to offer assistance/advice and prevent injury.

The most important aspect of CF is the community. Athletes encourage each other and build each other up.

Guilty here. Only know of the sport what I've seen on TV and have not been impressed. Again, could very well be that the TV competitions are a bad representation of the sport. Emphasizing number of Reps in a given time frame without regard to form is a recipe for injury. Maybe that's not CrossFit, but it is what has been shown.
  • kota4bye
    Options
    Quantity has a quality of its own. Kippng and strict pull ups have their own places and we do both.

There is nothing herky jerky about a Kippng pull-up, it's a beautifully smooth movement.

But I'm sure what you saw on tv was horrible in your eyes. :/
  • pondee629
    Options
    Quantity has a quality of its own. Kippng and strict pull ups have their own places and we do both.

There is nothing herky jerky about a Kippng pull-up, it's a beautifully smooth movement.

But I'm sure what you saw on tv was horrible in your eyes. :/

Not necessarily horrible, just injuries waiting to happen. Nothing smooth or beautiful about it, though.
  • kota4bye
    Options
    If it was on tv, I doubt it. You realize those athletes have done more pull-ups than you or I ever will, right?

Are you a physiologist? Or is this your personal opinion?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like crossfit, does it have it's issues...yes. I also agree that most "haters" have never actually done it and are completely clueless about the specific movements used. A kipping pullup and a strict pullup are 2 completely different movements, one is not "poor form" of the other. And done correctly, with the proper base, not likely to lead to injury.

Also as asked above, advice...scale, scale, scale. For the most part, you should be scaling such that you are almost constantly moving through the wod. Don't turn them into strength sessions.
  • pondee629
    Options
    Personal opinion. From some CrossFit Championship I saw on TV a couple of years ago. Looked like something the old Wide World of Sports would have on when no major sports were in season. Up there with the World Wrist Wrestling Championship and throwing a barrel full of concrete over a Pole Vaulting Bar, or Flipping a large Truck Tire many times. Made American Ninja Warrior look like the better sport.

The shame of it is, it seems like it could/should be a good program; using the various routines and disciplines. Just looked reckless, and undisciplined. Again, my view from one TV showing. It was the OP who said "I hurt myself (as all crossfitters ultimately do)". From what I've seen, I can't argue his point.

You have to admit, however, that CrossFit does have a very wide range of opinion. I can see where it could/should be a challenging and useful discipline. As shown, however, both on TV and YouTube, it seems reckless, undisciplined and dangerous.

Please don't take offense. I don't mean to belittle your exercise routine. I do see where CrossFit could be a beneficial genre. There just seems to be a recklessness about it. Perhaps some CrossFitters like showing the recklessness/danger.
  • thomasemma840
    thomasemma840 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi... I've been doing crossfit for 2 months and totally addicted to it. Our trainers are always checking form as we're doing WOD and ask if we feel any twinges etc. I've had more injuries from running than any other exercise! I'm not doing the whole paleo diet thing though.. Prefer the fitness pal ethos is calories in and calories out.1fbf83r2r6ya.jpeg
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I crossfit 4-5x a week. Love it and it has really broadened my knowledge of lifting, mobility, and new exercises. I feel like it has helped me become a lot better athlete even as I get older. When I first joined, I found I struggled with a lot of the movements from never doing them before and not having the proper mobility. After working on mobility forever now it seems, I feel much more confident in all my lifts, crossfit or not.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion. From some CrossFit Championship I saw on TV a couple of years ago. Looked like something the old Wide World of Sports would have on when no major sports were in season. Up there with the World Wrist Wrestling Championship and throwing a barrel full of concrete over a Pole Vaulting Bar, or Flipping a large Truck Tire many times. Made American Ninja Warrior look like the better sport.

The shame of it is, it seems like it could/should be a good program; using the various routines and disciplines. Just looked reckless, and undisciplined. Again, my view from one TV showing. It was the OP who said "I hurt myself (as all crossfitters ultimately do)". From what I've seen, I can't argue his point.

You have to admit, however, that CrossFit does have a very wide range of opinion. I can see where it could/should be a challenging and useful discipline. As shown, however, both on TV and YouTube, it seems reckless, undisciplined and dangerous.

Please don't take offense. I don't mean to belittle your exercise routine. I do see where CrossFit could be a beneficial genre. There just seems to be a recklessness about it. Perhaps some CrossFitters like showing the recklessness/danger.

It doesn't even sound like you were actually watching crossfit. And you've repeatedly belittled it, so it's obvious that you mean to.