Muscle tech premium protein & intense workouts

Options
Iv wondered how many minutes before I do a (Insanity) Max interval circuit 60 min. Workout do I consume a protein shake?
And should I use 1 scoop (40grams of protein) or 2 scoops?
I'm very active ,usually run 2 miles in the am & pm along with a 60 min workout & 30 mins. of weight training. So if there's someone who could help me with figuring out when & how much protein to take I would greatly appreciate your input.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but here is what I would do. One scoop, more or less half an hour ahead of time.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I make my shakes with cold coffee instead of water, too. XD Me and coffee are in a relationship lol.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Yikes. I couldn't imagine doing Insanity with a stomach full of sloshy protein. I take protein after and I hear that your body really can't do anything with that much protein at once, so I'd stick to one scoop.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Do you work out on an empty stomach? I literally can't, I get all faint and horrible because my blood sugar crashes. Maybe have the shake 60 min ahead of time if you have to make sure it all soaks in first. For me 30 min is fine but everyone is different.
  • monaleerez
    monaleerez Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I make my shakes with cold coffee instead of water, too. XD Me and coffee are in a relationship lol.

Hahh, that's funny. Thanks
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Definitely no more than 1 scoop, maybe even 1/2 scoop and then some dextrose powder if you're 60 minutes out. A better option would be to eat 4 oz chicken breast and 1/2 c brown rice/sweet potato 2 hours prior.
  • monaleerez
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    Yikes. I couldn't imagine doing Insanity with a stomach full of sloshy protein. I take protein after and I hear that your body really can't do anything with that much protein at once, so I'd stick to one scoop.

Lol,
  • monaleerez
    Options
    Do you work out on an empty stomach? I literally can't, I get all faint and horrible because my blood sugar crashes. Maybe have the shake 60 min ahead of time if you have to make sure it all soaks in first. For me 30 min is fine but everyone is different.

I run in the morning for 30-45 minutes on an empty stomach , after I have protein shake then work out 30 minutes later. Lunch, usually salad and some type of protein (30 grams), weight train. Then run 40 minutes again before dinner. For dinner I eat with my family but limit my caloric intake.
  • monaleerez
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »

Lol, made me laugh, cause I have vomited during a workout, cause I didn't wait long enough after consuming a shake. A waste of time & shake.
    I do have a shake after my evening run though.
    Thanks..
  • monaleerez
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    Definitely no more than 1 scoop, maybe even 1/2 scoop and then some dextrose powder if you're 60 minutes out. A better option would be to eat 4 oz chicken breast and 1/2 c brown rice/sweet potato 2 hours prior.

Thanks, I like the food.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1 scoop is 40 grams of protein? Are you sure you are reading the serving information right? That is quite a lot. Can't imagine why you would want to ever eat 80 grams of protein in one shake.

You should have a reasonable amount of protein in your daily diet, when you have it doesn't matter so much and you certainly don't need to take 40 to 80 grams of it before a cardio workout.
  • monaleerez
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    1 scoop is 40 grams of protein? Are you sure you are reading the serving information right? That is quite a lot. Can't imagine why you would want to ever eat 80 grams of protein in one shake.

You should have a reasonable amount of protein in your daily diet, when you have it doesn't matter so much and you certainly don't need to take 40 to 80 grams of it before a cardio workout.

OHH MY GOODNESS! that was my mistake. Your right only 20 grams/scoop.
  • monaleerez
    Options
    monaleerez wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

OHH MY GOODNESS! that was my mistake. Your right only 20 grams/scoop.

Thank you.
  • Delphino
    Delphino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So protein intake is very individualized. What most people don't understand is your body will only process the necessary amount for your metabolism and exertion. Anything over that amount goes through a glycogen process which means it is turned to glucose and can make you gain weight or slow down your muscle building efforts. A good rule of thumb (f you don't know your actual needs through testing) is a 1/2 gram of protein per pound of "ideal" (what you should weigh) body weight. As far as before a work out, that is a personal preference. If you are consuming multiple small meals throughout the day you may not need a protein shake prior to. If you are trying to lose weight your am workout on an empty stomach during the starvation phase of the day will be aided by not having a shake. Most of the science focuses on what you consume within 30 minutes after your workout is more crucial than prior to the workout. That is when the body is trying to recover and therefore what you put in it becomes very important.
  • monaleerez
    Options
    Delphino wrote: »
    So protein intake is very individualized. What most people don't understand is your body will only process the necessary amount for your metabolism and exertion. Anything over that amount goes through a glycogen process which means it is turned to glucose and can make you gain weight or slow down your muscle building efforts. A good rule of thumb (f you don't know your actual needs through testing) is a 1/2 gram of protein per pound of "ideal" (what you should weigh) body weight. As far as before a work out, that is a personal preference. If you are consuming multiple small meals throughout the day you may not need a protein shake prior to. If you are trying to lose weight your am workout on an empty stomach during the starvation phase of the day will be aided by not having a shake. Most of the science focuses on what you consume within 30 minutes after your workout is more crucial than prior to the workout. That is when the body is trying to recover and therefore what you put in it becomes very important.

Thank you so much, that's something I'll read up on.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing around exercise is pretty irrelevant for the vast majority of people Eat an appropriate diet on a regular basis, timing it when you are hungry and/or to work around exercise so you don't feel sick.

Best of luck
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Actually the science says no such thing about a 30 minute window.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/workout-nutrition-is-a-scam/

http://www.howtobeast.com/proof-the-post-workout-anabolic-window-is-a-lie/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Iv wondered how many minutes before I do a (Insanity) Max interval circuit 60 min. Workout do I consume a protein shake?
    Work out the number of minutes that results in you puking it all up again then add twenty minutes.
    Depends how much protein you are eating over the course of a day.
    I'm very active ,usually run 2 miles in the am & pm along with a 60 min workout & 30 mins. of weight training. So if there's someone who could help me with figuring out when & how much protein to take I would greatly appreciate your input.
    I suggest 1g/1lb of estimated LBM spread over the course of a day in whatever pattern sits you.

Pre and post workout nutrition is vastly over emphasised. Concentrate on your training and your overall diet.

• monaleerez
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Work out the number of minutes that results in you puking it all up again then add twenty minutes.
    Depends how much protein you are eating over the course of a day.
    I suggest 1g/1lb of estimated LBM spread over the course of a day in whatever pattern sits you.

Pre and post workout nutrition is vastly over emphasised. Concentrate on your training and your overall diet.

Thanks, just curious,why 22 minutes.