I've heard maintaining is harder

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    So basically if I learn from this year of losing and continue on the same path with a few more calories, it shouldn't in theory be any harder. Thanks so much for the responses. I eat near maintenance on Wednesday so I know around the amount of food I will be able to have for the rest of my life. I just didn't know if hunger is any different after that biggest loser study.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Whenever you read/hear anything coming from Biggest Loser - change the channel, flip the page. Disregard.
  • leanjogreen18
    Whenever you read/hear anything coming from Biggest Loser - change the channel, flip the page. Disregard.

There was a legit study that came from following some of the contestants 6 years after their weight loss. All but one gained most if not all of their weight back. They were burning fewer cal at rest than before they started the show even though they gained their weight back.

At any rate I agree about the show itself.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    johunt615 wrote: »
    So basically if I learn from this year of losing and continue on the same path with a few more calories, it shouldn't in theory be any harder. Thanks so much for the responses. I eat near maintenance on Wednesday so I know around the amount of food I will be able to have for the rest of my life. I just didn't know if hunger is any different after that biggest loser study.

I find maintaining to be exactly the same as losing but better. There are just enough more calories that I'm not hungry.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    edited September 2016
    than actually losing. Why is this? It seems once the calories amount is dialed in for maintenance that it would be equal to losing. Does one tend to loosen the calorie restriction a bit?

I have about 7 months to go before I begin maintenance but I think about it often and I'm trying to focus on how to learn from this so that I can maintain for life.

Don't believe everything that you hear. Harder for some, not so much or nothing at all for others. It all depends on your eating habits, your relationship with food and exercise, and what and how much to learn while you were losing.

Edited because spelling in hard on Thursdays.
  • leanjogreen18
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    than actually losing. Why is this? It seems once the calories amount is dialed in for maintenance that it would be equal to losing. Does one tend to loosen the calorie restriction a bit?

I have about 7 months to go before I begin maintenance but I think about it often and I'm trying to focus on how to learn from this so that I can maintain for life.

Don't believe everything that you hear. Harder for some, not so much for or at nothing at all for others. It all depends on your eating habits, your relationship with food and exercise, and what and how much to learn while you were losing.

Thank you. I do tend to believe people though. What I'm trying to do is figure out why it's hard for some and easier for others. That's how I learn, or hopefully will learn.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member

I think you actually answered your own question ..and I agree. I consider myself on maintenance now.

By the time I get to goal... I will have to eat this way and keep exercising still have to maintain... just like now as I lose
  • leanjogreen18
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    For me maintaining is harder for reasons listed above. There is no end in sight. I will be weighing daily and logging daily to maintain.