Any crossfitters out there?

Options

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

rybo: They called it a CrossFit Championship. And, no, I've stated my concerns based on what was shown.

thomasemma840: What's going on in your photo?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about 6 months, going only 1-2x a week (didn't want it to interfere too much with my lifting). I really wanted to fall it love with it, as I was considering switching gears and becoming a Level 1 coach as I love the lifting/barbell aspect of it. Long story short, the box I went too had horrible programming, not enough lifting, and overall I got bored with it and give it up.

I think for those wanting to just "get in shape" it's great if you find a box with good programming that emphasizes form over good WOD times, as form can go to crap when you're fatigued and you rush it when lifting weights. It's really more of a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of workout, probably why I didn't love it as I'm more into lifting and aesthetics. To each their own....
  • thomasemma840
    thomasemma840 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Omg I meant to be my profile pic but now everyone knows I love a beer... Oops!!
  • pondee629
    Options
    Got no problems with beer. What's with the guy behind you?
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Omg I meant to be my profile pic but now everyone knows I love a beer... Oops!!

Don't worry about it, most people love beer.
  • pondee629
    Options
    No, not at all. I meant what I said. I saw a Championship of CrossFit on TV. The exercises looked undisciplined and dangerous. Further exposure to the sport has not changed that opinion.
    There is also the prevailing commentary that "CrossFitters" get injured more than other athletes. However, as some seem to enjoy the sport, with an open mind, I left open the possibility that the Championship was a bastardization of the sport and that there could be benefit to it.

But, seeing your "open" mind. we need no longer communicate.
  • Delphino
    Delphino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First the name Crossfit is a brand that was started here in the US to cover a type of workout that has been around for a 100+ years. Greg Glassman didn't invent the workout, but he is responsible for branding it to a single name that is now globally recognized.

Crossfit is facing the same issues every other training has faced in the past. Back in the day to be a certified personal trainer you had to actually go to school and learn something. Now you can fill out a coupon in a magazine and receive a certificate. Crossfit now has the same issue. People are opening boxes that are not A certified. Trust me your trainer's background and knowledge makes ALL the difference in the world for you no matter the type of training. The original crossfit association, Crossfit Inc., actually lists all their certified trainers. If you can't find your trainer's name on their site, change boxes.

The same goes for competitions. Everyone hosts a "Crossfit" competition. Look and see if it is actually sanctioned by Crossfit Inc.

As far as the Crossfit training, most of the actual lifts are Olympic style lifts if your box is following true protocol. Not every workout is about countless reps or single lifts. It is supposed to be a balance because it is supposed to build strength AND endurance. Essentially you get the cardio at the same time as the lifting.

Every training program has the potential for injury. It doesn't matter if it is crossfit or traditional gym lifting, if you do it wrong with in-proper form, you are going to get hurt.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you're leaving since the OP asked for fellow Crossfitters. I'm very open minded, I run too.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Crossfitter here! Love it. Have not hurt myself, but I also take it slow and listen to my coaches. I don't try to jump ahead without being ready.

Such a great program. :) Like my second family!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    " I hurt myself (as all crossfitters ultimately do) "
    kota4bye wrote: »
    Umm not all Crossfitters hurt themselves, not sure I agree with your outlook.

This is the problem CrossFit has. As seen on TV (the competitions) all exercises are done with poor form with the sole purpose to get as many done in as short a time as possible. I know this is in completion, but form is horrible, and this has become a public face of CrossFit. True or False, perception is often reality.

I think you did not actually watch, because I disagree with this wholeheartedly. There may have been a time when Crossfitters had bad form. But the elite Crossfitters, like those you would see on TV at the CrossFit Games, tend to have really good form, even though they are moving quickly. Good form is efficient form, and the guys in those Games have to be efficient.
  • nikki8412
    nikki8412 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been crossfitting for 6 years and I don't think I would've ever seen this level of muscle strength and agility without it. When I'm complimented for my figure and I say I Crossfit I get the look of disapproval even though I just got complimented. The hate/jealousy/cynicism is just unnecessary. I joined because I really wanted to learn how to lift heavy and not be responsible for my own programming. I also needed a group atmosphere because I thrive in teams. If I printed a workout from the Internet and went it alone I wouldn't have lasted one month.

Ultimately every sport I take up seriously will cause some wear and tear. How is that a big surprise or even a big deal? I've had injuries from running, basketball, track and field, kickboxing, dancing and Crossfit. But I recover from these injuries a lot better and quicker than my family members (same gene pool) whose main exercise is walking or nothing at all.
    Bottom line: I want to see what this body of mine can do. When I give it back to its Maker I want to describe it like a loved well-worn used car.
    "Now the left knee acts funny after sprints."
    "The right shoulder can handle a split jerk but it's got to be warmed up first."
    "And that pinky toe, it's probably been sprained a couple of times...ok 3 times...but other than that it's pretty solid!"
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Personal opinion. From some CrossFit Championship I saw on TV a couple of years ago. Looked like something the old Wide World of Sports would have on when no major sports were in season. Up there with the World Wrist Wrestling Championship and throwing a barrel full of concrete over a Pole Vaulting Bar, or Flipping a large Truck Tire many times. Made American Ninja Warrior look like the better sport.

The shame of it is, it seems like it could/should be a good program; using the various routines and disciplines. Just looked reckless, and undisciplined. Again, my view from one TV showing. It was the OP who said "I hurt myself (as all crossfitters ultimately do)". From what I've seen, I can't argue his point.

You have to admit, however, that CrossFit does have a very wide range of opinion. I can see where it could/should be a challenging and useful discipline. As shown, however, both on TV and YouTube, it seems reckless, undisciplined and dangerous.

Please don't take offense. I don't mean to belittle your exercise routine. I do see where CrossFit could be a beneficial genre. There just seems to be a recklessness about it. Perhaps some CrossFitters like showing the recklessness/danger.

Most of what you have seen on YouTube as far as recklessness is concerned can't really happen anymore in Crossfit. When the CF fails videos were made Crossfit was relatively new. In Las Vegas in 2010 there were three CF affiliates. Now there are over 20. There is more competition for business and people will not stay at affiliates who coach poor technique. People will not stay where others are getting injured.

Let's talk about the games. All the athletes you see on TV are incredibly well trained individuals. Most of them train full time for the CF games. The games are meant to truly put these people to the test. If you want to know more about the CF games please check out The Test of Fitness. It is a documentary of the 2014 CF games.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGgWEr-Vv8
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Hi... I've been doing crossfit for 2 months and totally addicted to it. Our trainers are always checking form as we're doing WOD and ask if we feel any twinges etc. I've had more injuries from running than any other exercise! I'm not doing the whole paleo diet thing though.. Prefer the fitness pal ethos is calories in and calories out.1fbf83r2r6ya.jpeg

I.... don't understand this picture.
  • rockymytdeb
    rockymytdeb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just took my first on ramps class today. I think I'm going to love it. The entire class today was about good form, safety, and that until I proved I could do a move in control, safely, I had to use modifications.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For those of you on this thread that "saw crossfit on TV a couple of years ago", I'm not sure that's basis for an informed opinion.

I just wanted to see who on MFP was training with crossfit techniques, either on their own or with an affiliate. I was interested in like mined individuals to connect to on this platform. I did not want to get into a pissing contest.

My comments about injury were as I said, tongue and cheek. I'm a former Crossfitter, games competitor, Crossfit basher and now I'm training with a local affiliate to get back in shape. That's why I'm here on MFP. To get back in shape. If I wanted to bash Crossfit I'd go to IGX (nothing against IGX, love those guys).

Carry on.
  • xxmariecabogosxx
    Options
    Great post! Hello everyone. I've found myself dabbling in all sorts of training. I find that I get bored just running a program specifying a group of body parts for the day. At the moment I'm doing 2-a-days, incorporating HIIT (high intensity interval training), Neil Hills Y3T training program, and WODs whenever I can make it to a box. Nothing like a cross breed between being fit like Brook Ence and aesthetically pleasing like Michelle Lewin unfortunately easier said than done. Happy training, Id love to hear your success stories!
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I disagree that crossfit form on TV is universally bad, the vast majority of it looks great. But the deadlift ladder in the 2016 games was pretty horrible at times.

https://youtu.be/rp0iI7GP3OU?t=1m10s
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Have to admit some crazy form going on there. Now, Rip talking deadlifts.

https://youtu.be/ToXDFLXL1uo
  • hoofingchick
    hoofingchick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    New to Crossfit, completed a beginners course over the summer and now on 4 weeks of 3 times a week. I'm having a wobble, and yes its the dreaded BULK word! Any female crossfitters out there can advise and steady my nerves as my coach said trust the process the muscles (which i had none) have to come first to burn the fat quicker.
    I've always ran and done hitt and managed calorie intake. Relaxed a bit and moved jobs and had a more desk bound day. So decided to try Crossfit to remotivate and learn something new. Admittedly I'd put on a couple of lbs before starting but in the last 4 weeks i've put on 4lbs and gone up an inch on my thighs and my bum is bigger. I am not strong and never was with arms that resembled sparrow legs. I have gone from 8kg kettle bell to a 12 kg one and i'm really proud of that.
    I try to manage my macros and eat with calories but have been slack over the summer. So is the weight gain bulk or from greed??
    Do i keep up crossfit? It makes me fell awesome until i have to get dressed and my jeans are tight!
    sorry for highjacking the thread - i too looked and didn't find much recent on this.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    New to Crossfit, completed a beginners course over the summer and now on 4 weeks of 3 times a week. I'm having a wobble, and yes its the dreaded BULK word! Any female crossfitters out there can advise and steady my nerves as my coach said trust the process the muscles (which i had none) have to come first to burn the fat quicker.
    I've always ran and done hitt and managed calorie intake. Relaxed a bit and moved jobs and had a more desk bound day. So decided to try Crossfit to remotivate and learn something new. Admittedly I'd put on a couple of lbs before starting but in the last 4 weeks i've put on 4lbs and gone up an inch on my thighs and my bum is bigger. I am not strong and never was with arms that resembled sparrow legs. I have gone from 8kg kettle bell to a 12 kg one and i'm really proud of that.
    I try to manage my macros and eat with calories but have been slack over the summer. So is the weight gain bulk or from greed??
    Do i keep up crossfit? It makes me fell awesome until i have to get dressed and my jeans are tight!
    sorry for highjacking the thread - i too looked and didn't find much recent on this.

The most a woman can gain with perfect diet ans progressive training is 1/2- 1 lbs a month of muscle.