Swimming??

Options
I spent about an hour at a friends house with my 2 year old in the pool. We were just enjoying the day, working with him on his swimming and such. When I got done, I logged in and pulled up swimming, general, for leisure....it popped up with over 600 calories!! I didn't feel like that was anywhere close to what i'd burned, so I only logged 30 minutes, which is still 300+ calories. Is this right? Should I log it when we go to the pool to just play and work on swimming lessons?

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tend to only count the time when I take a quick break from looking after the smalls and do some "proper swimming". Or just add a little for the times when you have to swim after them because they're about to get into trouble!
  • Mindy021921
    Mindy021921 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing. I've been in a pool today for about 2 1/2 hrs and I thought the calories were awfully high so I also cut it in half.
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    I only log when I'm "vigorously treading water" or actually swimming...
  • blacrasberri
    blacrasberri Posts: 102
    Options
    Swimming will double the amount of calories burned. I suggest you purchase a Heart Rate Monitor to calculate your calories more accurately. I've spent 2.5 hours in the pool swimming in general and I burned over 300 calories using my HRM. Good Luck
  • nikkidee1983
    Options
    I only log the time I actually spend swimming as opposed tot he time im just floating or doing the doggy paddle playing with my nephew.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I only log if I'm moving.. Which is most of the time. I spend at least one hour a day in the pool most days more running against the current. It does burn more calories w/o feeling like a workout because the waters adding resistance. You might not feel it when you do it. Your gunna feel it after. The other day I did 4 hours of moderate treading. And ugh...
  • meltnice
    meltnice Posts: 10
    Options
    I do 4-5 different types of aqua aerobics classes that last about an hour each. So I count them all because they are 60 min long and we are moving like no mans business! It is a great workout and I highly recommend swimming as a workout! But I agree, only count what you do. There is one listed in the database that counts slower pool activity. I can't remember what it is though. Cheers! Keep up the good work!