Negative calories

Options
Suppose you go out for brunch and get carried away. Next thing you know, it's a little after noon, and you have no calories left. In fact, you've gone over your goal. You're also in a position where you're not likely to be able to excercise that day.

How do you figure out dinner, etc if you have no calories left? I'm used to planning based on what I have left, and when I have nothing left to spend on a meal, I almost always just continue to go overboard.

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    In that situation, I'd go with lots of water and a light dinner. As long as you stay within your limits for the week, it's not going to be a terrible thing. Will you have ten minutes where you could get some exercise in?http://www.allyou.com/diet-fitness/at-home-workouts/at-home-exercises
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Honest answer? Those are the days that I renew my personal relationship with God - I say a prayer and then go to bed early.

If I can get a walk in or better still a trip to the gym, I can get more calories in the budget, but that isn't always an option.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Pick a decently lowish cal dinner, log it and move on

Life happens

Yup.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    Suppose you go out for brunch and get carried away. Next thing you know, it's a little after noon, and you have no calories left. In fact, you've gone over your goal. You're also in a position where you're not likely to be able to excercise that day.

How do you figure out dinner, etc if you have no calories left? I'm used to planning based on what I have left, and when I have nothing left to spend on a meal, I almost always just continue to go overboard.

Dr. Judith Beck covers fixing the "I already blew it, why get back on track now" thinking in this book on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for overeating, which was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yup. One bad day doesn't have to derail anything. Eat a lighter dinner, go for a walk if you can, if not, log it, and move on. A slightly smaller loss that week (or even a gain) is not the end of the world.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I like the weekly calorie report. Seems to keep me level headed if one day is up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories for the week, not the day, so I'd factor it into my week. If I didn't--and assuming I was trying to keep a deficit--I'd eat a light/low cal dinner that would leave overall calories below maintenance.

I'd also definitely not beat myself up over it, but I would review the reasons why it happened, so it would be less likely to happen again.
  • hila_13
    hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Low calorie dinner (less than 300 cal). Then I set my calories goals lower over the next 2 days to make up for it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Eat low cal dinner then I subtract that from the next few days calories so my weekly deficit remains.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    If I eat so much at lunch time that I use up all of my daily calories then I am usually not hungry again at dinner time so I wouldn't eat. But if I am hungry then I will just eat something light. I also like to look at my weekly calorie goal, so the odds are I have eaten under by 100 or so calories already a couple of days that week so I may have a few extra calories to spend. I would also try not to worry about it too much unless it is becoming a daily habit. If you go out for brunch once a month or so and get carried away it really isn't going to affect you too much in the long run.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Go to bed
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Hi!
  • Lumi_1992
    Lumi_1992 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It happens occasionally, as people have said, just have a fairly low cal dinner and start afresh tomorrow :)
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I only have 210 calories left for the day and I still have to have dinner. I've gone over my calories the last 3 days, anywhere from 57 to 200 calories. But 4 days ago I was 426 calories under. A couple hundred under the days prior to that. It all evens out. I will go over again today. I'm not worried, I know I'll make up for it on the weekend. I have weeks at a time where I'm consistently under my calorie goal and occasionally I have a week where I can't manage to stay under even one day. Just as my weight fluctuates, so do my calories. All I care about is the average.
  • Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    I like the weekly calorie report. Seems to keep me level headed if one day is up.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I focus on calories for the week, not the day, so I'd factor it into my week. If I didn't--and assuming I was trying to keep a deficit--I'd eat a light/low cal dinner that would leave overall calories below maintenance.

No affiliation or anything, but I found an app called Poundaweek the other day. It calculates your calorie needs for a week based on height, current weight, etc., and then divides them by seven to give you a daily limit. If you go over, it adjusts the other days downward. If you log under, it adjusts them upward. (It also tracks macros.) I've found the results pretty interesting!

(What I do is use the "quick add" function at the end of each day to just plug in the calories and macros I get from my MyFitnessPal log. I could see its usefulness in helping people over "oops, I slipped up and overate" bumps, though!)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are on a deadline for weight loss then I' d say call it a day and fast till tomorrow. If you're in no rush, eat a low calorie dinner and try to be more active tomorrow.